HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    +1 on the Kelty Noah 12. If weight is no problem (car camping) then it can be set up with a porch big enough to entertain a whole troop of scouts and in winter, close down like a wall tent. ca. $70 is good. I got mine for $15 at an REI garage sale, unmarked. I also have the Hennessy 70D hex which is very good, if not quite so versatile as the kelty, which I use for car camping. Hennessy asym used for backpacking. Whatever you choose, get one with tie-outs rather than grommets.
    The suggestion above for prototyping with a plastic drop cloth is an excellent one.

Hammock
    GT ultra light
    Tarp
    Heavy Hex
    Insulation
    Woobie
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Chrisis,
    These are all good suggestions. BUT, you are the only one who can figure out will work best for you. How much is enough coverage, how light is light enough, do you really need the doors, etc. So take all those suggestions, look at all of the different options and then do yourself a huge favor...

Get yourself a $5 plastic drop cloth, cut to the approximate size of your largest prospect and hang it. You can stake it out in porch mode, relaxed pitch and storm pitch and really get a feel for the size. Then take out the scissors, cut down to the next smaller tarp size and play some more. This 1 hr exercise takes ALL the speculation and guess work out of the decision. This way you will know what you are really getting and will have an idea of how it will work for you. You may, after using the real thing, end up changing your mind, but you will start off getting something you know will work for you.

Jason

PS. I went with the WB Edge, sized right between the Std and Deluxe so I didn't have to choose between the two.
    Excellent idea, I got the day off so that'll be what i do today.

I really appreciate all the feedback guys.

Hammock
    Have only hung from an ENO...so far
    Tarp
    Noah tarp
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings/Web

Noah 12

I just picked up the Noah Tarp 12 here for $49 bucks. There is free shipping with any order over $50, so be sure to buy something for a buck that you may need anyway. I don't have any feedback on the item, but for the price I can't complain.

http://www.sunnysports.com

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I think the Equinox silnylon 10x12 would be a great starter. I started out with the PU coated nylon 10x12 and utimately ended up with a superfly with incorporated doors.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I looked into a gear guide 12x12, can't find then anywhere
    The gear Guide tarp appears to only be available for a week or two each year. Its a very large tarp and heavy at 2 lbs. More suited for car camping. If you realy want to get one then here is a link... http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=328267 , you will just have to watch the posts and check the link becuse this tarp will sell out fast once it does become available.

I recommend the Warbonnet BMJ and or the Wilderness Logics Old Man Winter. Of course there are lots of other great choices out there. Just wish I had the $$ to buy one of each to play with
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123