Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark

first overnighter

Took my Clark down to 5°C last night & I even though I was warm and comfortable with no cold spots I think I'd need some more insulation underneath to go any lower. I'm still really impressed at how warm it was with what I had and it was a shock when I got up to answer the call of nature and feel how cold it was outside during the wee hours. Felt great to be peeking out from a cocoon in the morning from a hammock as opposed to my tent and it was a great seat as I Had coffee and porridge.

Was my first overnighter away from the backyard where I'd had a test one afternoon (not even overnight) and figured I'd be warm enough. I planned to stay on a rocky outcrop with a great view about 3 hours walk from the start of the trail with the whole walk through dense rainforest on a pretty decent trail (overgrown and with a fair amount of windfall in spots). But all my plans were going bad from the start, first I'd left home waaaay to late and then 30 mins up the trail which is steep as anything I had the terrible realisation that I'd left my lighter back on the front seat of the car, "%$&*"!.

This is a spot I stopped at for a drink and you can see my route which follows the lower ridge in the middle of the picture and then goes off up to the right for a couple of hours to a similar spot on a sweet outcrop with massive views.

This is how dark the beginning of track looked the first time where it leaves an old fire trail

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=10313

it was much darker by the time I'd dumped my pack in the bush and ran back to the car for the lighter... but there was no way I was missing a hot dinner and coffee in the morning, no way!

The track got darker and the forest noises got scarier (yes, I know, I am a chicken but I was imagining a yowie leaping out and savaging me. A Yowie is the Aussie version of Sasquatch or Yeti... big shaggy wildman of the forest with big gleaming eyes and sharp teeth the size of carrots... or so I was convinced at the time)

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=10309

and darker the further I went and the temperature was dropping quickly

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=10314

It was near this point when I realised that I wasn't going to make it before dark and decided to turn around... Man, that was a bad feeling... knowing that I was coming out and back down the valley under headlamp and having to set up my rig, which I had only set up twice before, in the dark...

the turn around point

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=10310

So I fished the headlamp out of my pack, put it around my neck in readiness and started trotting back down the hill (did I mention that my pack was just over 18kg for an overnight trip? Running down a steep teacherous track in the dark with a heavy pack and a gutful of adrenalin is interesting I'll tell ya, especially with a Yowie hot on my heels and other crashing noises coming from the undergrowth all around me) knowing that I was close to 2 hours from the start of the trail shown in a previous photo, thinking hmmm, not good, maybe I should plan a little bit better next time... So heres a photo from an outcrop half way back to the valley where I was heading into to set up camp for the night. It was to be well dark by the time I found a spot down by the creek and as you can see in the photo the rainforest is fully dark already, there may be some light shining over the tree tops but 30-50 meters down on the forest floor it is completely dark, I mean pitch black. If you had no light the only way you could move at all would be to get down on all fours and feel your way... with the red low battery lamp on my headlamp blinking I kept moving.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=10311

In the end I managed a fairly decent setup for the night, ate a hearty and 'hot' meal, ate fruit and nut dark chocolate and turned in for a warm and comfy first night in my hammock. Heres a couple of pics of my rig from this morning.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=10308

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=10306

Pretty happy with it and I think I've got the setup as simple as possible while still working really well. The UQ didn't move around at all during the night with the way I had it set up and I'm more than happy with the stock clark suspension using the drip rings to adjust it, very easy. I think I may get a down UQ when I can afford it but this will do for now especially seeing as winter is almost over and the temps are going to increase.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag 4 now
    Wow that was an awesome report. Congrats on your first night! Love the pictures too, keep posting.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    WoW 1, 2, 3

1. Trip report . . .

2. it has a CJH in the photos . . .

3. It's all from the other side of the world . . .

COOL

Thanks
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Excellent trip report. Beautiful pictures. Really like the one with the mountains and the sun rising in the valley.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Absolutely beautiful area! Love the mental image of the yowie! Keep up the solos - it gets easier.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm looking forward to getting out again, maybe I can leave a bit earlier next time and actually make it to my destination instead of having to bail halfway

No problem Bradley, we can't let all you 'northerners' have all the fun! Gotta love that clark too, top design and a construction to match.

Yeah Deadphans & dragon, its a beautiful part of the world thats for sure, actually this time of year is just about perfect with winter almost over (not that we get much of a winter, we only a get a few days of frost before it starts to warm up again...) and daytime temps just right for walking (or biking).

Summer sees all the critters getting more active and we have a lot of those. The size of some of our rainforest bugs have to be seen to be believed! and then theres the poisonous snakes and spiders which Australia seems to have majority shares in and there are lots of spiky and unpleasant plants just to finish it all off which all seem to get more robust as it warms up.

dragon360 Absolutely beautiful area! Love the mental image of the yowie! Keep up the solos - it gets easier.
    Oh no, its real dragon360, you can tell its watching you when the hairs on the back of your neck are standing on end! and when you can hear its heavy breathing in the night (or maybe that was just me). Actuallty I think the scariest thing you can come across in the 'woods' is man...

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    You just gotta have that hot heart starter in the morning to crack open those sleepy eyes....the day just isn't the same without it.
    Nice post.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Great trip report and pics. Thanks for taking us along!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

• + New Posts