Hello. Its a surprise that I find myself at this forum.

The synopsis is that a month ago I became RIF'd from my government job, so to look at the situation in a positive way I have an abundance of free time! Well; what would you do? I realize that there are responsible people out there. I'm not wanting to be one of them. Not anymore.

My first thought was to hike the appalachian trail, or at least some of it and I may do that as well but for the moment I have a plan to ride my bicycle ... somewhere....anywhere ... but for a long time ( two to four months ) So I got my bike, got my tent. Ooops. Right after buying that tent I saw an article about hammocking. Weird stuff, I thought. Who the heck and how the heck? You can't really go without a tent - right?

Two weeks later I went out a bought a Hennessy Expedition and since I had no place to tie it in my yard I tested it out that first night under my carport. It was fantastic! I would not have believed how my beat up 51 year old body felt great great in the morning compared to what a night in a tent would have done to me! Call me a convert.

Now I did find a few things that I would like to have improved and thus my first post here. My friend (who is going with me for the first two weeks) bought the expedition from me because I thought that I would like a longer hammock and because he loved the hammock as well. It was extremely hot here in North Carolina those two first nights I tried the hammock out and I found that the mosquito netting was a surprisingly strong breeze breaker. I would like to have the option of unzipping the netting in the next hammock and I also am not so keen on first impression about the bottom entry.

My question then is about opinions on the bottom entries ... am I going to find some sort of serious set backs with zippered side entry hammocks that I may not have thought about? Secondly, are there hammock designs or brands that are known for being cooler in extremely hot weather ... or is it just a fact of being under the no-see-um ... or perhaps is it in how you select a site and set the hammock out? I'm hoping to be set straight (straighter) on these points because I'm wide open to buying my next hammock whether it is a Henessy or something else but don't have the time to simply slowly sort through it all myself (which I know is best ) So which Hammock is best for ventilation?

Is the difference in feel sleeping in the different brands something that is mediately apparent and very large or is it something very subtle? Any guidance in how to wind up being cool in hot muggy weather will be greatly appreciated. I plan to buy another hammock as soon as I get just a bit less apprehension about being completely clueless. We plan to leave in early september so while now I'm eager to find a way not to bake - I guess the next step will be to find a way not to freeze. Oh well ... the learning seems to be fun - set me straight ... will ya!

Btw ... this forum seems to be great. There is a very helpful tone in the digital air here - much better than many forums in which I've had to watch combat in before. Keep it up.