Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Found this while checking out the link to this stuff....

Right now nootkatone is expensive — $4,000 per kilogram for highly purified food-grade material, which is used in parts-per-million amounts as a flavoring agent. Repellents and insecticides would use a higher concentration — perhaps 2 percent. But it wouldn't need to be as purified
    Might be a while before I can afford it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    LOVE it to the max. I use the 15-20%. I find it way more tolerable than DEET, and no worries about fabric or gear far as I know.

I agree with Billy Bob, but I'm not quite as enthusiastic. I tried it twice on my last trip with mixed results. Before I left the car, I sprayed on the 15% aerosol. (Repel brand) I hiked through tick central and ended up picking about 15 deer ticks off my legs by headlamp when I got to my camp. Not fun. The next day, I had brought a smaller pump bottle of the 20% (Natrapel brand ) and it seemed to work much better. Not exactly a scientific test, there may have been other variables, but I am sticking to the 20% from now on. Trying to get those little critters off gives me the creeps.

On a related topic, does anyone treat their tarp? I was reading a post earlier today about someone who had gone to the BWCA and spent the evening counting over 100 mosquitoes on their tarp alone. It seems like it might not soak in very well. It would be nice to add to the skeeter death zone if possible. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've read permethrin does not actually kill mosquitoes or flies like it does ticks. It just repels them.

http://www.sawyer.com/faqpermethrin.htm#005

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I agree with Billy Bob, but I'm not quite as enthusiastic. I tried it twice on my last trip with mixed results. Before I left the car, I sprayed on the 15% aerosol. (Repel brand) I hiked through tick central and ended up picking about 15 deer ticks off my legs by headlamp when I got to my camp. Not fun. The next day, I had brought a smaller pump bottle of the 20% (Natrapel brand ) and it seemed to work much better. Not exactly a scientific test, there may have been other variables, but I am sticking to the 20% from now on. Trying to get those little critters off gives me the creeps.

On a related topic, does anyone treat their tarp? I was reading a post earlier today about someone who had gone to the BWCA and spent the evening counting over 100 mosquitoes on their tarp alone. It seems like it might not soak in very well. It would be nice to add to the skeeter death zone if possible. Thoughts?
    I don't believe you can treat a tarp, because our tarps are water beading...I doubt the permethrin will adhere to the material even a little bit. It would be better if you just nuked your hammock and gear. I remember reading about some military testing; supposedly the more gear you have permethrined, the larger circle of protection you have.

I tried Picardin...I have two bottles, one is a low dosage, like 12% and I didn't notice till I got home that they say it's only good for 4 hours, and *not* to reply more than once a day! That's pretty worthless. The 20% Repel brand I have doesn't say that, but it also doesn't seem to work as well. I may have to go back to Deet for exposed skin and just not overdo it.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I've read permethrin does not actually kill mosquitoes or flies like it does ticks. It just repels them.

http://www.sawyer.com/faqpermethrin.htm#005
    My Blackbird is well sprayed with the Sawyer stuff (before I got the Farm grade 38% I watered down and dipped my clothes in), and my deck and back yard were sprayed with the tick and termite Permethrin stuff you can get from Walmart in the Flea and Tick section. The next morning I found dead cicadas and spiders around my hammock, but no dead mosquitos. So maybe that's true.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Going to check permetherin label tomorrow at work

I work for a pesticide wholesaler and tomorrow I am going to check the Dragnet permetherin , its either 26 or 36 percent strength, a commercial brand for pest control companies and see if it is labeled for mosquitos. There are other chemicals on the market but don't know if you would want to put them on your clothes or skin since most are commercial strength liquids.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Why do bugs love me? 3 rounds of antibiotics for tick/spider bites over 3 years... My doctor friend told me that there are studies that show that folk with higher skin temps attract bugs. That is why my wife can stand next to me in the yard and not be bothered at all versus me swatting and scratching non stop.

Since the last round of antibiotics 3 years ago, I've gone to 100% long sleeve shirts, long pants, and gaiters (Dirty Girl), all regularly treated with permetherin (usually Sawyers, but sometimes other brands) all the time, even in 100 degree temps. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me 3 times - we need to do something different.... Its a pain to wear long sleeves, not to mention the wetness factor all the time, but like a root canal for your tooth, it sure beats the alternative...

On my exposed skin I like the euculypsis (sp?) stuff versus deet. If the grapefruit stuff ever makes it to the market, I"ll be the first in line!

I use a DIY double bottom hammock. The 1.1 oz/sq yd bottom (combo weather sock for down UQ, warmth sock (pea pod), storage shelf (shoes, valuables)) is treated, the heavier, load bearing hammock body is not. The bug net is, and after reading this thread, the straps will be before my next hike...

I'm more focused on adding a fresh spray of silicone to my tarp each season, and depending on the number of trips, a refresh mid season, than I am on bugs for the tarp.

I also carry a 2.5' x 5' piece of tyvek on every trip. This goes between my butt and the ground EVERY time I stop, and on park benches, logs, shelter floors...

ps. did you know that a very high percent (90?) of black widow bites are in the groin area? because.... privies are a favorite hangout. Always, always, always take a stick into a privy and clean out the sitting place real good before you set...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm ready to give this Pyrethrum a try. Purchased a bottle of Kendon Pyrethrum Insect Killer today. It's 500 mL
    Active Constituents:
    13 g/L Pyrethrins
    52 g/L Piperonyl Butoxide

Does anyone know, How I should mix this up for soaking my hiking clothes?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    I'm ready to give this Pyrethrum a try. Purchased a bottle of Kendon Pyrethrum Insect Killer today. It's 500 mL
    Active Constituents:
    13 g/L Pyrethrins
    52 g/L Piperonyl Butoxide

Does anyone know, How I should mix this up for soaking my hiking clothes?
    Been reading online trying to answer my own question, so far with no answers.
    One thing I did notice is what I purchased is not permethrin, but from what I can tell it's very similar, the difference is the pyrethrum is a natural product from a flower whereby permethrin is a manmade product. Can anyone confirm this. I could not find any permethrin here, all I could find is pyrethrum.

Did I purchase the wrong product?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Does this help?

2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
    SUBSTANCE NAME Proportion CAS Number

PYRETHRUM 1.3% 8003-34-7
    PIPERONYL BUTOXIDE 5.2% 51-03-6
    POLYETHANOXY-9-NONYL PHENOL 20-40% 9016-45-9
    WATER Greater than 60% 7732-18-5

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, Forget the Pyrethrum.

I went to another garden supply store on the way back home and they had Permethrin in stock.

It's a 200mL container called Bletzem Insect Killer it's active ingredients are:
    100g/L Permethrin 25:75
    Solvent: 711g/L Hydrocarbon Liquid.

Any idea what concentration I should mix this at for soaking my hiking clothes in?

I went to a garden supplier earlier today asked for Permethrin, and they sold me the Pyrethrum and mentioned it's the same product. I've done some research and it's not the same product. One is manmade the other more expensive is made from a flower. Permethrin is the best for soaking clothes. as it lasts longer and cheaper than the other product.

If it's any help, I've added a PDF file on the product.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Phillipsart; 09-14-2011 at 02:11.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast