Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad

30 degree bag for year round top quilt?

I've been think about this for a while. I just bought a western mountaineering bag (megalite) a few moths back and was considereing to use it as top quilt and bag for my hammock during my thru-hike in 07. I had been muling around the Idea of buying a no sniveller quilt from JRB as a second underquilt for those really cold nights. (also a gossamer gear 1/4 wide/long pads on the way, so I'm not sure about the N/S). I have used my Megalite down to the mid to low 30s with good results, so my question is, should I Invest in a lower rated bag than 30 degree or will I be alright. (for those shelter nights I was planning to use my nest and bag for warmth). Thanks all
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    I use a 20-25ish bag as my topquilt. I have been down to 15 with it and felt warm, but I am a warm sleeper. If you can, spend a few cold nights in your yard and test.

Look into the JRB mountain quilt that has a lower rating. The Jack's guys could tell you better than I can, but I think adding that one could get you to a lower temp then then adding the NS to your setup.

Let me know what you think of the Grossamer pad. I am thinking about adding that one.

I am going to be starting NOBO sometime in Mid March. I'll see you out there.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Thanks Hammmock engineer, I'll be on a trip the weekend after Christmas and Ill let you know about the pad. I think I'll slip it between the Nest and my hammock. Hopefully I see you on the AT. Do you have a different trail name than Hammock engineer? Mine right now is Bull Bog (long story, happy to tell if asked, but you may regret it, or not =). The reason I ask is Im trying to save up enough for my hike, but a new quilt and bag are expensive and Im trying to avoid said things.

Another though (maybe for Pan) but could the Mtn quilt be used alone sucessfully as an underquilt for winter (Im planning on using an ENO single for winter.)
    Last edited by Bulldog; 12-23-2006 at 21:48.
    NREMT-B, WEMT

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost93 View Post
    Thanks Hammmock engineer, I'll be on a trip the weekend after Christmas and Ill let you know about the pad. I think I'll slip it between the Nest and my hammock. Hopefully I see you on the AT. Do you have a different trail name than Hammock engineer? Mine right now is Bull Bog (long story, happy to tell if asked, but you may regret it, or not =). The reason I ask is Im trying to save up enough for my hike, but a new quilt and bag are expensive and Im trying to avoid said things.

Another though (maybe for Pan) but could the Mtn quilt be used alone sucessfully as an underquilt for winter (Im planning on using an ENO single for winter.)
    Yup.... The Old Rag Mtn quilt makes a great winter quilt... full inch more loft than a Nest or No Sniveller... use it under or over.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost93 View Post

I don't have a trail name yet. I figure I will do something funny or stupid and one will find me.

Try the pad in the HH. Someone else here tried the pad between the hammock and nest but I can't remember how it works. If it works like that for you let me know.

Nate

I'd put the pad in the hammock instead of over the quilt. I'd think you'd compress the down too much otherwise.

I did put a space blanket in between my hammock and underquilt. That worked great to add a few degrees. Highly reccomended for those nights on the edge. I usually carry one from about October - April anyway, so why not go ahead and use it instead of letting it sit in the first aid kit?
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I have used the Gossamer 1/8 pad between my hammock and Nest. It is so light it causes no sag. I could not tell how much it helped. Would be curious to know how the 1/4 wide/long works with your set-up.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Thanks all. I guess an Old Rag Mtn is in my futuier (cant spell this morning). The Nest might be brought along for a top quilt as well as my Meaglite. Don know yet.

AS for the pad, maybe Jeff can get in one this one when ever he gets the time, I was thinking of sewing two pieces of shockcord to the underside of the hammock to hold the pad in place. Ill let you guys know who it works out.

As the space blanket idea, Ill use it if I have nothing else due to the fact that I dont want to wake up in a floating bath tube, but maybe use it between the pad and hammock, not between the UQ. Ill report on my findings.
    Last edited by Bulldog; 12-24-2006 at 09:40.
    NREMT-B, WEMT

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I can't say enough good about the zhammock for holding a pad.
    Mine is made of some kind of nylon taffeta I found at wallyworld. It weighs 2.8 oz per yard, so the hammock is a bit heavy.

Combining all the good ideas Ive heard here, when I make another, it will be two pieces of 1.9 weight nylon and a length of noseeum mesh. All will be connected at the top. The two nylon pieces will be connected in the middle (if I follow the znammock directions. or maybe not??? I need tests to see if the pad would slip out with no side sewup)

I use one full length pad and a three foot piece oriented crossways between shoulders and hips. I need the pad for the gearskin type pack stiffener anyways. An under quilt would be one more thing.

If I get to Springe Mountain next week, I'll get a better idea about warmth at lower temps.

Tom

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    Combining all the good ideas Ive heard here, when I make another, it will be two pieces of 1.9 weight nylon and a length of noseeum mesh. All will be connected at the top. The two nylon pieces will be connected in the middle (if I follow the znammock directions. or maybe not??? I need tests to see if the pad would slip out with no side sewup)
    That's a good idea using netting. I never really thought of that. Let us know how it works out for you. I would try it, but right now I only use a pad when it gets really cold. Not enough to justify adding it right now.

• + New Posts