DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Goat Rocks Wilderness, WA

Four of us took a trip to Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington State for five days of backpacking. As usual things do not always go as planned. We were supposed to do a high pass loop (trails 96, 97, 86, 95), but Washington received a record snow fall this winter and much of the high pass was snow covered. Instead we spent two nights at upper elevations by Snowgrass Flats and two down by Packwood Lake (trail 78).

We got to experience two different types of weather to test out some new gear. My son was using a Three Season Burrow recently purchased from a member here at HF. He stayed nice and warm except for the night his under quilt popped out from under him while getting in . Tried to tell him to check it before zipping up, but as most 14 year olds, he must learn on his own. Another fantastic product made by Stormcrow was the Cuben Fiber Tarp. This tarp is as light as a feather in the pack. I used 1.5 mm Z-Line Cord for the lines, two figure 9’s and super light weight no-see-um skins by Gargoyle. In all the tarp weighs 8.8 oz. The first two nights, both my son and I slept under it. It rained both nights and we stayed nice and dry. The coverage was very good without really trying. We closed the doors on one end to block the wind. Only thing that must be done is to seam seal the panel pull outs. They definitely wet through. Gargoyle’s skins worked excellent with the cuben. They have pockets on the end to tuck the RL cords into which work very nice. No more tangling of cords . Because the cuben is crinkly and stiff, it does not slide off. We did not have as much luck with the no-see-um skins and a silnylon MacCat. It had a tendency to slide off. Possibly some Velcro strips could be added to each one to prevent them from sliding apart. My original thoughts were that the tarp would dry better with no-see-um, but in reality what happened is the skins stay dry much better then silnylon ones do. They retain no water. A couple of shakes of the tarp, slide on the skins and it all seemed completely dry. Much better then wet silnylon with added water weight. We love this set up!

As for my son, he saved up and bought the Buck Hood Hoodlum Hunting Knife. It has a 10”, wedge shaped blade perfect for splitting wood. All the wood was completely soaked from snow and rain. He split wood the entire trip for great campfires. Without it, it would have been difficult to dry out shoes the first couple of nights. It’s a bit heavier then I care to carry at 14.6 oz, but I was glad he did .

We also used the Backcountry Boiler exclusively for the first time. It was quite the challenge the first two days in the rain. Finding small dry wood was difficult and it took a lot of fussing to light and remain burning, but we still managed to do it. The other days were a piece of cake. In an established camp site there are lots of small sticks everywhere around a fire pit. This stove is great for flying with. There are no restrictions and we didn’t have to find fuel on arrival. I will admit it takes more effort then a stove using other means of fuel. We may try to use an alcohol stove with it when we don’t have the time to deal with it.

One day spent up by Snowgrass Flats, we did a hike up through the snow to the upper peaks. The PCT was up there somewhere, but we couldn’t see it. The views of Mt Rainier were breathtaking. I wanted to show my son the mountains and I think he got an eye full. Because it was not safe to do the upper loop, we hiked out and came in on the Packwood Lake trail. The sun was out, temps up and swimming (water) was cold, but lots of fun. There had been a storm some time past which knocked down some huge trees. A couple had fallen out into the water which made for a great diving board. We spent an entire day swimming and honing fire starting skills with a steel striker.

After hiking out we spent a day checking out Seattle. We took the uni-rail in one direction and walked back the other. Along the way we checked out Pikes Place. It was a really cool place to see. There were musicians on every corner and everything from food to specialty arts and crafts to buy..

Well I hope you enjoyed reading this and the pictures to follow.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

Oms
    Last edited by Oms; 08-05-2011 at 04:15.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Sounds like an enjoyable trip and i would love to see the pics but the link doesn't get me there.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry about that
    https://picasaweb.google.com/gagesch...JvpwZz3w6Te8gE
    Check out a lot more pictures in the web albums

Hammock
    hh expedition 2.5, snap-on edition
    Tarp
    Hm space blanket
    Insulation
    3/4L scored pad
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    its amazing how much people here take our beautiful scenery for granted
    awwwww yeeaaah!!!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The area is just beautiful. We had picked it because of elevations. Being the first time for the boys, it wasn't too grueling and no problems with altitude sickness. Would have to check the map, but I think the highest we were was around 7000 ft. In case I wasn't clear about going to other albums here are more pictures.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/gagesch...PSS78qlmZTA7gE
    https://picasaweb.google.com/gagesch...NSOy7aA5t2Q3AE
    https://picasaweb.google.com/gagesch...CNWe9IfyoqubDA
    https://picasaweb.google.com/gagesch...K3hs8ej35iOswE
    https://picasaweb.google.com/gagesch...JDx7IPar8exrwE
    https://picasaweb.google.com/gagesch...CJewtLeFjqf9Ig

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Nice place. Really liked your last album.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Nice place. Really liked your last album.
    Thanks, It's not hard to get a pretty picture there. Every part of the day had different looks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    yeti/burrow
    Looks like you had a great time in some amazing scenery

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Thanks for sharing your trip. Looks like a good time and you have some really cool pics to show for it...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Nice trip report. I've been up in that area a couple times. Hopefully you can make it back again when there is less snow.

• + New Posts