Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Sleeping bag liners as summer TQ

I was wondering if sleeping bag liners opened up and sew sew a couple together...would make a great TQ...I am looking at just using a Liner for a TQ and a DIY summer bag as a UQ...any ideas to this
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    liners only give your bag about 5 degrees of warmth at the most...I would think a poncho liner would be better and its what me and the wife use down to about 60..she is so hot natured,,that a sheet works for her most of the time..then I go with covering using the poncho liner doubled to about 55,,and from there its the golite quilt for me..she uses a 50 degree bag to cover with. At 40 its bring the heavier bags and quilts out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have used a silk bag liner as a Top Sheet I guess you could say. When it does not get below 75 during the night, that's all I needed...and no UQ.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest and Reactor
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Thermarest and bag
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I have a bunch of liners from a silk cocoon to fleece but the warmest and smallest liner I have ever used is the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor liner. I remember it well... I was in a 40* Marmot Atom (down) bag and the temps got to about 35*. I was pretty cold but I slipped in the Thermolite Reactor liner and immediately noticed the warmth. After 15 minutes or so I was actually hot and had to partially unzip to vent the bag. The liner is like pantyhose. Seems like you would tear right through it but it is pretty tough and quite warm. Sea to Summit claims 15*. I won't vouch for that but I will say it's the warmest liner I've ever used.

Mike

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    i know the jacksrbetter fleece liner is only 29 bucks and will take you to 50 or 55 .
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Since I am trying to use as much of my old "Ground kit" as possible to save $$, I have used my Reactor liner several times this summer with great success. I have not altered it as you are suggesting. Let me know how it goes it you start altering the Reactor.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps n' Slings
    I used my thermolite reactor as a TQ this summer, it only got below 70* one time when i was out with it. One night it got down to around 64* degrees and i did jump inside the liner and sealed it all the way up and had no problems. I was using a pad at the time for warmth underneath.

That being said I am a super warm sleeper, but I was comfortable all night. I don't think I would go below 60* degrees without something a little more substantial on top though and even then I would only recommend this for a very warm sleeper.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flannery View Post
    I have a bunch of liners from a silk cocoon to fleece but the warmest and smallest liner I have ever used is the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor liner. I remember it well... I was in a 40* Marmot Atom (down) bag and the temps got to about 35*. I was pretty cold but I slipped in the Thermolite Reactor liner and immediately noticed the warmth. After 15 minutes or so I was actually hot and had to partially unzip to vent the bag. The liner is like pantyhose. Seems like you would tear right through it but it is pretty tough and quite warm. Sea to Summit claims 15*. I won't vouch for that but I will say it's the warmest liner I've ever used.

Mike

I also have a Thermolite Reactor and it works great as a summer TQ, but it's for me down to about 65 degrees and then I added my marmot 40 degree bag.
    I did modify my Reactor so it is actually a TQ now. I cut the seam on one side and used my rolled hem foot to hem the cut edges. and then secured the draw cord at the cut edge too. the draw cord and lock is now on top in the center and still work if needed. Now I can use it in the hammock and on the ground (when that rare occasion occurs) It's allot easier to get into too.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I forgot my quilt once in the winter. I did have 3 silk liners in the van though(sea to summit) and took them, slept down to around 25F quite happily.

I think most of the insulation was provided by the crumpled silk trapping lots of air though.

• + New Posts