FYI - Kelty Coromell 25F 550-fill Down Sleeping Bag

I was in the market for a new down sleeping bag and wanted something that could serve dual duty both as a sleeping bag and a top quilt for hammocking.

After spending a lot of time looking and researching at innumerable bag Offerings I was finally able to find one that could serve my needs and wants.

I opted for the Kelty Coromell 25F 550-fill Down Sleeping Bag - Long and found it at SunnySports for $112.00 shipped.

As usual the folks at SunnySports were super efficient in processing and shipping the order on the same day, very good outfit with great low prices.
    I have bought my tarp and hammocks from them.

I have wide shoulders and find larger cut bags more to my liking, I also don't like mummy bags with a hood since I seldom use the hood, especially when using a pillow for neck support.

I am 5'10" and opted for the Long version of the bag which allows me to sink well into it and have my entire body covered and in really cold weather I can pull the draw string at the top to form a semi-hood.

As usual, I was very impressed with the build quality of the bag like anything else that I have bought from Kelty. They do seem to know what they are doing and how to build quality gear.

I had a chance to see this bag in person in a store before ordering it online.

The main features that sold me on it are the following:

- its roominess
    - multi use format, as a sleeping bag, as a blanket or as a quilt
    - its lightweighness

The bag comes with its own nicely designed stuff sac and a storage sac. I keep my sleeping bags in big mesh laundry bag to
    allow them to breath.

You can use the bag for its original intended use as a sleeping bag.

Or you can unzip it all the way to form a down blanket.

Or you can use it as a top quilt by unzipping it far enough to form a foot box at the bottom, perfect for hammocking.

I have slept in the bag both in a tent and in hammock using it as TQ and have found it to be extremely comfortable and easy to use.

As a TQ, I slip into the hammock, wiggle around to find that perfect lay and the slip my feet into the formed foot box and tuck myself in.

the ability to adjust the foot box size is great with this bag, I tend to make it smaller in hot weather and a bit larger/longer in colder weather.
    Compared to a synthetic bag, the down seems to be a better fit when it Comes to tucking the sides in.

Overall, I am very impressed with this bag and enjoying it a lot. There is also a zero degree version of it with a detachable hood, but identical in every other respect, just more fill material.

It's a great multi-use bag and should provide countless comfortable zzz time either in a hammock or in a tent.

You can view the larger pics in this album: FYI - Kelty Coromell Sleeping Bag
    Last edited by LeDude; 08-06-2011 at 11:52.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thats pretty nice and very affordable.

Hammock
    2 WBBB 1.7DL, HH JSz,ULBA etc.
    Tarp
    WBSF,Kelty12,GG12
    Insulation
    WBWY, Leigh's 3sUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have the same bag great value, thanks for the nice write up

I looked at this bag, but the reviews said the temp rating was not very accurate. one person said it can only go down to like 35 or 40. any insight to this?

Quote Originally Posted by tyc221 View Post
    I looked at this bag, but the reviews said the temp rating was not very accurate. one person said it can only go down to like 35 or 40. any insight to this?
    Manufacturer temp ratings are at best just an indicator of how the bag may perform in certain temperature ranges...
    I always look at them with a grain of salt and use them as an FYI piece of information.

We all have different tolerances when it comes to HOT / COLD weather.

This particular bag is rated at 25 degrees and I have found it to be comfortable as a TQ in temps ranging from the low 20s to high 60+ degree weather.

Will it work the same way for you, I have no idea.

I compared this to my Marmott synthetic bag which is rated at 20 degrees and found it to be just as efficient, at close to half the weight and bulk, and far more versatile, being able to unzip it all the way or adjust the foot box size with the two way zippers.

With a good UQ, you should be able to use it as a good three season TQ.
    I personally prefer to add a layer of clothing when I feel the need for more warmth rather than having a super heavy bag.

For Winter use I may get the 0 degree version of this bag, it's an identical bag with a detachable hood and more fill material, or look at something similar, lots of choices out there.
    Last edited by LeDude; 08-18-2011 at 17:50.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Any update on how this has performed for you? I'm considering the same setup for it's versatility. As far as I can tell, the weight is the only real downside... Nearly 3 lbs. as compared to just under 2 lbs. for a typical 3-season TQ.

It seems like the majority of the forum is very much pro-TQ, which I can understand, but you have to think long and hard when that extra pound + change will cost you $100 to shave.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Last edited by dgpape; 09-07-2011 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by dgpape View Post
    Any update on how this has performed for you? I'm considering the same setup for it's versatility. As far as I can tell, the weight is the only real downside... Nearly 3 lbs. as compared to just under 2 lbs. for a typical 3-season TQ. ... Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I personally like this bag a lot, it has served me well thus far as a 3 season bag.

Weight is not an issue for me, I personally have no use for a hammock only TQ, my gear has to perform dual duty for both tent / hammock camping.

I use it as a blanket in hot weather both in a hammock or in a tent, wearing just a short and a t-shirt.

When the temps get chilly I switch to the foot box mode and use it as TQ with my home made UQ (made out of a security blanket), wearing light weight base layer clothing.

In cold weather I use it as TQ with my UQ and a deflated exped 7 pad sandwiched between my hammock and UQ. I Have slept very comfortably in temps down to the low 20s-30s on a few occasions wearing mid-weight base layer clothing.

I have been equally comfortable sleeping on my inflated exped 7 pad and using it as a sleeping bag in a tent.

I may end up buying the zero degree version of this same bag for Winter camping/hammocking depending on how much of it I end up doing.

I have not been able to find another brand that offers the same level of versatility in a multi-use bag thus far, most other bags have a sewn in foot box and not a full all the way around 2-way zipper.

There are lighter options out there, but they do usually cost about 100-200% more.

ps: I also tried it as a pod on one occasion and it worked great, you can simply unzip the bottom enough, one of the advantage of the dual 2-way zipper, to let the hammock suspension cord through and then let it hang at one end of your hammock until you are ready to sleep, at which point, you get in the hammock, pull it over and tighten the top draw cord to form a comfortable cocoon in which to sleep.
    Last edited by LeDude; 09-07-2011 at 11:53.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by LeDude View Post
    I also tried it as a pod on one occasion and it worked great, you can simply unzip the bottom enough, one of the advantage of the dual 2-way zipper, to let the hammock suspension cord through and then let it hang at one end of your hammock until you are ready to sleep, at which point, you get in the hammock, pull it over and tighten the top draw cord to form a comfortable cocoon in which to sleep.
    Very interesting. The potential to utilize the bag as a peapod-like insulation system... It makes perfect sense with the 2-way zippers. Also, if you ran the zippered side underneath the hammock, you could potentially access one of the zippers for entry/exit from a Hennessy.

Did you experience any sagging or other issues when you experimented with this? Obviously, it's not custom fit, but if it'll do the job I can easily justify the extra weight.

Is it worth considering 0-degree bag and simply removing the hood? I don't plan on doing any Winter trips, but living in the upper midwest, a Fall night can drop down into the 30's. I realize that the 25 is rated for that, but I also know that they can be deceiving... particularly when it's a roomy bag.

I have two Grand Trunk Hammocks that I use, Ultra Light and the Parachute Nylon.

The Ultra light is smaller than the Parachute and it is a better fit for a pod use.

The nice thing about the bag is that you can just lay the zipper on top for easy access and then rotate it once you are all zipped up if so desired.

I have no experience with a hennessy, so I can't be of any help there.

The zero degree bag has a detachable hood, as seen in the pic below:

For me the zero degree bag would be way too warm as a 3 season bag, it is also a heavier bag.

I am going to first try out this bag with a fleece liner for Winter use and see how it meets my comfort zone
    before buying the zero degree one.

See if any of the local sporting goods stores in your area stock these so you can go and see them in person.

I will try and snap a few pics the next time I am at the park to show the bag in the pod mode.
    Last edited by LeDude; 09-07-2011 at 20:43.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

• + New Posts