Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    If coming from the north, you can make a left off 206 onto Carranza Road and just follow that all the way. Much easier than the Tuckerton Road route. (It's the first left turn that has a turn lane after the 206/70 Circle, It's just after you have to merge from 2 lanes into 1. There is no light here and if you miss it you can make a left at the next light, then turn at the first stop sign. )

Also, the road turns to dirt just before Tuckerton Road and Carranza Road split. Unless they paved it since last winter. It's a hard pack dirt, so it's not bad.

I will also have a Hammock Forums Flag at the turn for the camp.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunt87 View Post
    This post ended up kinda long, but there is good stuff in here, I promise...

To answer some of G...Hawk's questions I marked a few things on google maps.

Click Here-> http://g.co/maps/eqjxw

Directions

I marked the shortest drive into camp from RT 206, as well as the Carranza Memorial and the campsite. The stretch of Tuckerton Rd that I skipped is a dirt road that I would recommend avoiding.

While coming down Carranza Road, keep an eye out for the memorial on the right side of the road . It is easy to miss, especially at night, keep an eye out for the small wooden fence.

Make a left after the memorial, this is where you will leave the paved road. There are several turnoffs you can take, for the most part they all merge together and head back towards the campsite, you can kinda see this on the satellite image. I believe that at some point Iafte will mark the turn into camp with a Hammock Forums flag.

You should drive straight back and hit the campsite, landmarks you can keep an eye out for are the brown "Batona Campsite" sign, the water pump, "campsite limit" signs, other cars and hammocks .

Nearby Stuff

I also marked the gas station and liquor store I typically use when in the area.

I included rough Lat/Long locations for the campsite and memorial as well as addresses for the gas station and liquor store.

Road Conditions

The drive I marked in the link above is all paved until you turn off of Carranza Road. If you take your time you should have no problem driving the dirt section into camp, there are almost always bypasses for any puddles. Last year after a foot of snow plenty of sedans and minivans made it into camp, so given the weather forecast it should be pretty easy.

Just don't drive through water if you are not sure how deep it is and don't stop in sugar sand (and if you do get stuck in sugar sand, just call for help, do not hit your gas pedal until the frame of your car rests on the ground, it makes it much harder to pull you out).

Feel free to pm me for my cell number and I'll do my best to guide you into camp if you are having a hard time finding it or are worried about the road conditions.

I'll post an update from my phone when I get there Thursday night.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    If coming from the north, you can make a left off 206 onto Carranza Road and just follow that all the way. Much easier than the Tuckerton Road route. (It's the first left turn that has a turn lane after the 206/70 Circle, It's just after you have to merge from 2 lanes into 1. There is no light here and if you miss it you can make a left at the next light, then turn at the first stop sign. )

Also, the road turns to dirt just before Tuckerton Road and Carranza Road split. Unless they paved it since last winter. It's a hard pack dirt, so it's not bad.

Iafte,

Thanks for the directions.

See you Friday.

trailname : Distracted By Stone

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

It's all paved right to the turn for the camp, as I recall (been down there three or four times in the last two months). My method of finding the turn to the camp is to drive by it, and look backward for the pink blaze on the pine tree indicating the Batona Trail. FYI in case the Hammock Forums flag ain't out for some reason.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It's all paved right to the turn for the camp, as I recall (been down there three or four times in the last two months). My method of finding the turn to the camp is to drive by it, and look backward for the pink blaze on the pine tree indicating the Batona Trail. FYI in case the Hammock Forums flag ain't out for some reason.
    You know, thinking about it, maybe I was thinking of where it was PLOWED to last year. It sucks getting old.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G...Hawk View Post
    Is there cell phone service in the campsite area ?
    I'm pretty sure there is - I've been hiking around that area the last couple of months and if you don't have cell service, you can usually walk a couple of hundred yards and get a signal.

Images
    maybe my yellow bandanna will be tied up again at entrance
    have somebody's cell# with u.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You know, thinking about it, maybe I was thinking of where it was PLOWED to last year. It sucks getting old.
    Geez, I'm getting old too. You planted the seeds of doubt, Iafte, so I went back and looked at some video I shot. It's definitely paved to the turn-off.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    maybe my yellow bandanna will be tied up again at entrance
    have somebody's cell# with u.
    Yes, we will tie it up somewhere. (Don't worry, we will remember where we put it so we can pick it up at the end of the hang. )

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G...Hawk View Post
    Is there cell phone service in the campsite area ?
    Verizon, yes . Sprint, not really . Anything else, not sure .
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Don't feel bad. I didn't think Carranza Road was paved by the monument, at the turn off either, and I'm nowhere near as old as you guys.

I assume it was paved this summer .
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast