Gumbo and I are calling it the Wunder Sling. It doesn’t seem terribly innovative so if somebody thought of this before, well… I guess we just re-invented the wheel.

The basic idea is to add a second layer to the pre-2011, single layer Chrysalis so you can add a pad (without it sliding around) or even an underquilt if more insulation is desired.

Chrysalis flipped to show underside with Wunder Sling in place

We started with a trip to JoAnn’s, armed with a fist full of coupons, to get 1 1/2 yd of ripstop, two rolls of 5/8 grosgrain, and a spool of thread. That’s enough to make two Wunder Slings – which is good because there are two of us. (cost for two: fabric $8.39, grosgrain $2.99, thread $0.75, tax $0.79, total $12.92)

Hey, if I can sew, you can sew!

Weight is nominal – maybe an ounce or two, but the Chrysalis was never a hammock for the gramophobes anyway.

Important learning experience here: WORKING TOGETHER one person rolled the grosgrain into the edges and held it while the other put in a whole bunch of pins. Nylon is slippery (duh) and it’s a LOT easier to manage with an extra set of hands. Once pinned, we sewed up the inside edge of the rolled hem and then down the outside edge. We left enough grosgrain sticking out each corner to form a loop and tuck the end inside the roll and sew in some reinforcements. The whole thing is actually a rectangular grosgrain “frame” with a nylon sling.

The corner attachment points connect with some stretchy stuff to the ends of the spreader bars with lark’s heads and toggles. Right now we’re using our daughter’s hairbands (shhhh – she doesn’t know) until we make some shock cord loops.

Once in place you can put in your pad for a minimal amount of protection, a light down throw to dial it up a bit or stack’em for even more.

Lying in the hammock will take up the air space between you and the sling.

Never one to leave good enough alone, I brought out our king size, winter weight, down comforter from the bedroom and it held up fine.

Gumbo reported being nice and warm in a cozy, down-filled cocoon. (of course it was over 90* outside and our test spot is in direct sun, so yeah – she was plenty warm)

The Wunder Sling with toggles fits in the stuff sack with the quilt

Our thinking is to use this to provide insulation underneath and then just sleep in a conventional sleeping bag for insulation on the sides and top. Add as many layers as you need. Of course your sleeping bag will be compressed under you but the Wunder Sling provides enough slack so your insulation underneath the hammock isn’t compressed.

The Chrysalis is a different sort of hammock and calls for a different approach to insulation. The Wundersling builds on its well-designed structural elements to provide a more versatile hammock. I like to think of it as standing on the shoulders of giants.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.