Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Newbie to the Hammock

Hey guy's I'm a Newbie when it comes to the hammock but I've been bushwacking since I was big enough to tag along with my father(25~30yrs)
    I keep seeing these hammock setups & these look like something I want to try, I don't want to put alot into it just yet until I see if it's for me. My job don't allow me alot of free time for stuff like this. I'm looking at the Skeeter Beater or Skeeter Beater pro. I'm 6'1" / 205lbs Whats your thoughts ? I've got a Diamond fly on the way to me right now. I just gotta decide on a "Basic Hammock" with bug net ! Any advice for the new guy ?
    HUNT HARD - SHOOT STRAIGHT - KILL CLEAN - THANK GOD

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida, Coaldigger. Can't give much advice, I'm a DIYer, but you've come to the right place.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Welcome.
    Something from Hennessey Hammocks gives you everything in one package for a decent price. That's how I got started.. found a Hennessey at my local outdoor store, bought it cuz it was a cool idea, and now I'm hooked on hammocks.

Images
    Look at hammock bliss. I have a no see um no more and it is my first hammock. I'm like you and couldn't afford to spend a bunch on my first hammock. Plus I have to buy 2 of everything because my wife is right beside me in this journey.
    Equipping for one is expensive, for 2 it is downright impossible.

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Welcome aboard...I am new too and sleep SO good, no shifting or finding a comfortable spot.

You can make your own...go to the fabric store and get 12ft of ripstop and look at the DIY page on how to whip and tie the ends...that is what I have and Love it. The net also comes from the fabric store, it is 8 yards of netting I sewed together and hung weights to to keep it tight. DIY is really easy when it comes to the Hammock world.

Here is a picture of my full DIY setup.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Since you have a tarp coming, Hammock Bliss will be an easy way to figure out if hammocking is for you. If you didn't have the tarp, I would start with a Hennessy since it is all in one.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You might try a really basic hammock for $20 and then get like a $25 net from REI or somewhere. That will help you decide if you like it enough to continue. I started with an ENO Double that I saw in a pharmacy. I still use it all the time when we go to the park or cousin's house or wherever for a couple of hours.

Ok...I've got a Hennessey Diamond Fly on the way & I think I just made a trade for a Grand Trunk UltraLite ! Now I need a Bug net....
    HUNT HARD - SHOOT STRAIGHT - KILL CLEAN - THANK GOD

As above, I would recommend a 5x12' piece of 1.9oz ripstop from the $1.50 bin from walmart. Hem the edges, gather the ends, whip it and you have a hammock. Just start off with 2 harbor freight 12' long tie down straps. 1200# limit.

That is if it will fit under your tarp ??

Later on graduate to a lighter suspension.

A really big hammock makes a big difference in comfort.

General rule of thumb is your height plus 4 feet so you would want a 10' min hammock.
    Its 4'-6" x 9'6" so its close but a 5x12 would be a lot more comfortable.

That said the GTUL is cheap.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Since you mentioned Hennesy, I will give you my experience. I am 6ft tall and 165 lbs. I have the basic Expedition model. It functions ok but that is about it due to size constraints. When they say "up to 6ft", that is really the end of the envelope. You are Explorer size. For me the Exped size is kind of military issue size (works but doesn't fit). Hennesys are very well made and very well designed, a lot of thought and experience is in their design. There are other very good hammocks as well. Warbonnet gets rave reviews, but I don't have one.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast