Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Finally here's the link

So some of the confusion was that we wanted to make this publicly available to register on the internet, but limit the class to members of this forum. What we decided was to make the class really expensive online and offer a discount code on the forum that will bring the price back down. That should stop other people from inadvertently registering for the wrong class.

So here are your instructions:
    go to http://classes.redcross.org and register as a New User using the link in the top right box. This will popup a window where you can enter your name, address, email, etc.

When you are done you should come to the Home page for the SABA system. Again in the top right, look for a link to do an "Advanced Search" of the catalog of classes.

enter this criteria for your search:
    Zipcode 55902
    Start Date 9/16/2011
    Radius 5 miles
    End Date 9/18/2011
    Keyword "Wilderness"

Click the button to "Search the learning catalog"

You will know you have found the right class when you see the ridiculously high cost of $350 for the class. Click on the register link under the Actions column. Confirm to get to the payments page.

On the payment page, enter "23294-WFA-Sept-2011" into the coupon box. Click "Apply Coupon" to drop the cost back down to $19. You can then continue to enter your credit card information and continue your order.

For triumphantly navigating this maze, you will receive an email stating you have successfully registered for the class.

============================
    Those of you wishing to add the CPR class will need to follow these instructions again from the beginning since the coupon will only count toward one class at a time.

go to http://classes.redcross.org and this time log in as a returning user.

Again, do an Advanced Search for a class.
    Zip Code 55902
    Start Date 9/16/2011
    Radius 5 miles
    End Date 9/16/2011
    Course Title "Standard"

and click the button for "Search Learning Catalog"

You will have found it when you see a class called "Standard First Aid with CPR/AED - Adult" for $90.

Again enter the coupon code and it will drop to $19 and you can finish paying for the class.

I remember that Red Cross web based learning works best on a windows operating system using Internet Explorer and might encounter technical issues otherwise. My advice is to try it and if it doesn't work, try it at work.

To access the web portion of the class login again to the Red Cross Classes website, link above.

Once logged in you will come to the "Home" page. Click on the "My Learning" tab from the tabs at the top. In the center of the page you should find the class. Click on the "View Progress" link under the Actions tab on the right side. You can now click on "Launch" under the Actions tab to start the training.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I went this weekend to check out Isinours and it looks like a perfect place. Lots of trees and open forest floor with very little in terms of under brush.

The turn off of County road 17 onto the road labeled as "Township Road" on the map is a little confusing. From the north as you turn south on 17 from County 8, you will encounter a big left curve, a big right curve, a slight rise, then a long downhill. At the bottom there is a road to the left with signs for the barn. The road to Isinours is just past on the right and there is a sign saying so. The confusing part is that the state biking trail parallels the road we want and crosses 17 right there. Normally, not a problem, but the bike trail is wide and paved and looks like a road and you will be temped to turn onto it. The road you want is actually just past the paved trail and is an unassuming gravel road.

You will pass a field, a house, cross the bike path, then arrive at the trail head parking area. There are pit toilets at the trail head, but no potable water that I could find. Watsons Creek usually has water in it so people wanting to purify water will have access to water.

The campsite we will use is the western one. You can find it on the map by taking a left and a left from the trail head. Contrary to the map, there really isn't a toilet, but rather a toilet seat raised just above the ground. There are, however, good views, good trees to hang from for all of us, and a picnic table and fire ring.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipen View Post
    When do you need the money sent or should we just bring it too the class.
    Pay the administrative fee online when you register for the class. If you do not want the certification, do not register nor pay the fee. Do let me know you are coming and I'll make sure to have materials for you.

Bring your own books, they cost $16 online or from your local Red Cross Chapter. I have provided PDF versions if someone wants to try and print them out instead.

I'll collect the money for the consumable materials during the class. It would be best to just bring a $5 bill. This will cover the red cross materials and reimburse me for any first aid supplies that we use during demonstrations.

I'll put together a packing list for those that need it, but I do expect everyone to bring with them some sort of First Aid kit. The kit you normally take out with you is fine.

You are responsible for your own sleeping gear and food. If we have some non-hangers lurking about, tents are welcome, or I have one or two old hammocks I might be able to lend out for the weekend.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

issues with the web registration

It looks like someone found our outrageously high priced class and "fixed" it for us. And since the coupon is for more money off than the total for the class, it doesn't work now. I'm in contact with the local Red Cross office to see how this happened so if we change it back that it won't self-adjust again.

If there are issues that you found when registering, please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks Snipen for the heads up on this one.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Okay, so the word is that class is staying at $110, but the coupon has been adjusted so that the price after the coupon is applied will be $19.

This is the first time this has been done, so we expected a few snafus here and there. This has been a learning experience for all of us and thanks for everyone's patience as we continue to stumble over small problems.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

CPR coupon changed

The CPR class did not get fixed at the same time as the WFA class. For those of you that are adding on the CPR portion, use coupon code "23294-CPR-Sept-2011" for the CPR class.

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Just checking if this is still ago...locking in my spot this friday
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    I just came across this thread and am very interested. I am in the process of taking off of work so I can be there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricecg View Post
    Just checking if this is still ago...locking in my spot this friday
    Still a go. At this point I'll be there no matter what, so we'll just see who shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    I just came across this thread and am very interested. I am in the process of taking off of work so I can be there.
    The more the merrier. I know there were issues with the registration process again and I'm working with the Red Cross to figure out how to stop it from breaking. It's the story of my life that I can never do things the easy way.

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I will be leaving the Twin Cities in the afternoon to get there Friday night....if anyone is interested in carpooling let me know and we can work out details. I will be leaving Circle Pines (north Metro).
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast