Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

Waterproof protector from 2QZQ

If using a New River UQ,,,which is synthetic over down,,does anybody use a waterproof protector from like 2QZQ? over their quilt? in windy/very blowing raining hikes? Or does the fact that the UQ is synthetic made vs. down,,it really doesn't need it? Just curious so I thought I would ask,,as in reading the down quilt manufacturers,,I find alot of guys are using a protector of some kind to keep their down from getting wet even tho outer material is DWR finished.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    If using a New River UQ,,,which is synthetic over down,,does anybody use a waterproof protector from like 2QZQ? over their quilt? in windy/very blowing raining hikes? Or does the fact that the UQ is synthetic made vs. down,,it really doesn't need it? Just curious so I thought I would ask,,as in reading the down quilt manufacturers,,I find alot of guys are using a protector of some kind to keep their down from getting wet even tho outer material is DWR finished.
    I have the hennessy undercover for that purpose but I know someone who has a synthetic UQ that used a 2qzq underquilt protector on his everytime he uses it in the woods.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    The 2QZQ undercover is a bargain x2. It will work great with your UQ, with Garlington Insulators, or to just add wind and rain protection. Just using the under cover and a space blanket will get you an easy 10F or more boost. You need to keep condensation in mind.

Your New River is long, so I don't know how much more you will really gain for the weight of an under cover.

I got together with PuckerFactor to design a poncho undercover so I get something else form the weight. My plan was to use it with Garlington Insulators rather than an under quilt. I ordered a Lost River, so I'll be testing the combination soon.

My under cover: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36298

Garlington Insulators explained: http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/Hammoc.../Insulator.htm

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i use a full length fully synthetic UQ from WL with a 2QZQ UQP (breathable). the UQP gives full coverage and additional protection. i hang my UQP so that it is not in contact with my UQ do that is will dry out if any water/humidity does splash up. i also use the UQP with my fleese UQ in the same manor and in warn night weather i use my UQP without a UQ.
    for me, breathable is the way to go. either way they are a great addition to your hammock.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    i use a full length fully synthetic UQ from WL with a 2QZQ UQP (breathable). the UQP gives full coverage and additional protection. i hang my UQP so that it is not in contact with my UQ do that is will dry out if any water/humidity does splash up. i also use the UQP with my fleese UQ in the same manor and in warn night weather i use my UQP without a UQ.
    for me, breathable is the way to go. either way they are a great addition to your hammock.
    haha I was referring to you when I posted so. glad you could actually chime in man
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Flatline...your using the breathable, ripstop nylon UQP??? or the silnylon one???

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I think the value of an undercover depends on your tarp and the weather conditions. If you have a small tarp, I think the value of the undercover goes up. If you are using a long synthetic UQ with a water repellent outer fabric and a large tarp, the undercover is of minimal value for the weight. If you are using a smaller tarp, then the undercover is going to do more for you. I've read that an undercover probably adds 10F value by itself.

The real soaring value of an undercover is if you want to use the Garlington Insulator method rather than an UQ. The undercover holds the insulation in place and seals off the air gaps. You can buy a $35 undercover and make a couple Garlingtons for about $6/5.3oz each, using three cheap space blankets per insulator. In warmer conditions, you can use an undercover with just a space blanket with excellent results.

A breathable undercover adds some water repellent properties, another air space, and cuts the wind. It is just like wearing a windshirt with some DWR.

The silnylon undercover is just like wearing a non-breathable rain jacket: waterproof, windproof, and may have some condensation in the right conditions. I wonder if a down UQ would get damp using a silnylon undercover in dewy conditions.

The Hennessy SuperShelter is a fitted silnylon undercover with a 5/8" open cell foam pad and Hennessy recommends using a space blanket with the foam pad.

I went with a poncho design for an undercover-- the weight is "free" as I'm not carrying a 12oz rain jacket or a pack cover.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    ahhh,,,thanks,,i quite understand now..I always am into using 10 x 12' sil tarp from OES and can actually close the ends completely and have it down all the way to the ground even,,I personally don't want to carry an additional 7-8 more ozs and was just curious enough that it was bugging me,,and had to ask,,and have been reading alot about it as much as I could find. I can see a definite need for a UQP however if I was considering using a down UQ..however,,going to get a new UQ in synthetic knowing that it weighs a dash more than down because of the sometimes weather I hike in.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Flatline...your using the breathable, ripstop nylon UQP??? or the silnylon one???
    breathable.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    thanks for the replies!

• + New Posts