WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!

Splashing onto the UQ

Do we need to worry about rain splashing up onto the UQ on a stock HH Scout?

I'm using a Superfly, so I have no worries for myself, but the HH tarp on The Weezer's set-up seems susceptible since he hangs lower to the ground and the tarp looks so little (maybe I just feel guilty about having the Superfly).

I'd hate for him to wake up with wet butt syndrome.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I have used my HH with the stock tarp in plenty of downpours before...I have never had any moisture on the bottom. YMMV.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    If you're really worried about splash up, you might consider an under cover -- a waterproof "hammock" made from silnylon that has shockcord similar to an under quilt. I've seen Shug demonstrate his in a few of his videos.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have experienced splashing with the stock HH

fly, but it was on a hard-pan dirt area in a torrential downpour. The hammock was protected from teh rain, but the body did get damp from splash.

I now have a SuperFly, and I assume that the more generous cut will divert water far enough away from the hammock to essentially eliminate any splash-back.

Jim

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    every time my underquilt has gotten wet it is b/c of splash up from the bottom, not from the top. most of the time b/c i set up lazily...

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i saw fartingOWL's uq get wet while using the stock HH napkin tarp. he had it set up really well, too. i'd like the peace-of-mind and undercover UQP would provide if using a small, minimal coverage tarp like that.

i use a spinn wb big mamajamba- removable doors, and have never had an issue with 'splash'. that said, i do own a 2QZQ breathable uqp. its great.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    I have yet to hang while it is raining, I too was wondering if this would be an issue with a down UQ. I have a SF, so I guess it would be best to tie it really close to the ground, tent style and not have it in porch mode to watch the rain?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    fly, but it was on a hard-pan dirt area in a torrential downpour. The hammock was protected from teh rain, but the body did get damp from splash.

I now have a SuperFly, and I assume that the more generous cut will divert water far enough away from the hammock to essentially eliminate any splash-back.

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    every time my underquilt has gotten wet it is b/c of splash up from the bottom, not from the top. most of the time b/c i set up lazily...
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    i saw fartingOWL's uq get wet while using the stock HH napkin tarp. he had it set up really well, too. i'd like the peace-of-mind and undercover UQP would provide if using a small, minimal coverage tarp like that.

i use a spinn wb big mamajamba- removable doors, and have never had an issue with 'splash'. that said, i do own a 2QZQ breathable uqp. its great.
    I have had my MW4 get wet on a BMBH when hung under a JRB 11x10 rectangular tarp! It was all from splashup on one end during a really intense storm. However, the tarp was not really in any kind of storm mode. More just an average A frame and hung with enough room to stand up, so I'm sure it could have been prevented with better set up. The quilts DWR kept the down from getting noticeably wet.

But HH with the HH tiny tarp? HHSS has proven bomb proof for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    Thanks for all the thoughts.

The driving rain/sloppy set-up is my biggest concern. The Weezer regularly camps without me (in his Scout Troop), and I can see a lazy set-up happening.

I guess I'm going to have to really stress prevailing winds, taught tarp, etc. with him.

I figure if we're out together and the weather is going to be crazy, we'll do a double hang under my tarp. We haven't done that yet. Perhaps we'll go practice that tomorrow!

• + New Posts