Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Nifty! Can't wait to try to implement this!

Hammock
    Clark North American/DD Travel/WBBB
    Tarp
    DD XL Basha
    Insulation
    pad,reflector.
    Suspension
    ropes/tree straps.

These really work.

Ona recent kayaking trip the wind became a serious issue. These tie outs work fantastic.
    The winds were really making my tarp dance but it was never under any serious stress.
    Here's me holding the line for the sake of photography.

Once I let it go see it dance.....
    "The forest is my chapel.The trees are the pillars and walls of an endless cathedral.The wind in the trees is my choir.The land gives me water for my thirst and food for my famine.My blades grant me safe passage,give me food and make my shelter.Survival is my religion and I am it's disciple"

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Huggers & Whoopies
    I've been wanting to make some kind of tension guy lines for a while now and this seems like a very easy way to do it. Before now, I was planning on making them using surgical tubing, like this example - http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=19526

I know this is an old topic, but I was wondering something. Many people recommend against using 550 paracord for guylines because they stretch. If you are making an auto-tensioning guyline wouldn't they be able to absorb the minimal stretch (I say minimal because you are using it to guy a tarp, not to hold body weight) of the paracord along with the stretch of the tarp? I only ask because you can get 100' of 550 paracord for $9 with free shipping, enough for all your guy lines PLUS some. Z-line, zing-it, etc are about 3 times that. Any good reason not to use paracord if the lines are auto-tensioning?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
    I know this is an old topic, but I was wondering something. Many people recommend against using 550 paracord for guylines because they stretch. If you are making an auto-tensioning guyline wouldn't they be able to absorb the minimal stretch (I say minimal because you are using it to guy a tarp, not to hold body weight) of the paracord along with the stretch of the tarp? I only ask because you can get 100' of 550 paracord for $9 with free shipping, enough for all your guy lines PLUS some. Z-line, zing-it, etc are about 3 times that. Any good reason not to use paracord if the lines are auto-tensioning?
    For backpackers there is a considerable weight and volume savings using zing-it vs paracord.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Quote Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
    I used BRAIDED (NOT NOT NOT twisted) Mason's Line, which is WAY cheaper than Zingit, etc. AND paracord. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's or whatever for about $7 for 500 feet. It doesn't stretch, weighs VERY little, and it takes a knot well. Plus, it's almost always neon colored, so it's easy to find your rig. I carry a bunch with me all the time (I carry some paracord, too).

Thanks to dejoha (Derek Hansen) for the braided mason's line suggestion.

I used the self-tensioning guyline method described in the original post (if I remember correctly), and it works just great on both my Warbonnet Edge and my son's Warbonnet Superfly.

I also use the braided mason's line for my tarp ridgeline (one on each end, two half hitches to the ring on the tarp, around the tree, back to the ring, then tie a Tautline Hitch to tighten. Works brilliantly.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC hammock
    Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Just finished making some tarp tensioners from all the great ideas on this thread and thought I'd share. Thanks everyone they turned out great!
    (This is my first time posting a photo...hope I did it right)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the replies regarding using paracord. I guess my real question is am I correct in saying that because the lines are auto-tensioning that the stretch from the paracord would no longer be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by poca View Post
    Just finished making some tarp tensioners from all the great ideas on this thread and thought I'd share. Thanks everyone they turned out great!
    (This is my first time posting a photo...hope I did it right)
    Poca those look great! Nice job!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    800FP Downtek
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Love the simple tutorial, very helpful.

Thanks!

• + New Posts