Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Re: Techniques For Make Your Own Shock Cord Tarp Tensioners

This is much better than what I did. I just tied some on with constrictor knots. It held for awhile but eventually came loose

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Poca, I am knot challenged, what knot (the loop) are you using in the guy line that the shock cord is running through?
    It looks like a bowline on the end, the shock cord looks like a double fisherman knot but how did you get the loops (2 of them) in the guy line? Am I making sense? I really like the way yours looks clean and I am going to attempt to make them. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Those are alpine butterfly knots. They are very easy to tie. Grab the rope with two fingers where you want the loop and twist clockwise twice. The wrap the bight under the twists you just made and through the middle of the twists. When you open up the twist to pass the bight through you will see an "x" where the lines cross, that's how you'll know you did it right... it's easier to see with pictures, but I'm at work now... I'm sure there's a good tutorial online. I've seen other ways to tie it, but this is the simplest.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
    Thanks for the replies regarding using paracord. I guess my real question is am I correct in saying that because the lines are auto-tensioning that the stretch from the paracord would no longer be an issue?
    I would think you'd be trying to make up for the tarp stretch AND paracord stretch. Fighting it from "both ends".

Many people have paracord on hand and want to use what they have, myself included, but there are many better materials available running a wide range of price points. Zing It/Lash It really are worth the price. 50' from Dutch runs you about $13.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Rockclimber, thanks for the info brother, I really appreciate it. Gonna do a search now.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I would think you'd be trying to make up for the tarp stretch AND paracord stretch. Fighting it from "both ends".

Many people have paracord on hand and want to use what they have, myself included, but there are many better materials available running a wide range of price points. Zing It/Lash It really are worth the price. 50' from Dutch runs you about $13.

I get where you're coming from, but I needed about 85' of cord and would have had to spend $26, instead I got 100' of paracord for $9 (with free shipping). I actually tested this overnight last weekend and it worked perfectly. The stretch of the paracord in this application is negligible. In fact, after a full night you couldn't tell the difference in the shock cord length (I used a non-stretch tarp to eliminate that variable). And as a bonus, if I need to replace any of my guy lines I can do it cheaply without worrying about negative side effects since I now know it works.

So, in my opinion, it is complete overkill to spend money on relatively expensive non-stretch cord when you can really use anything and get the same results, especially since it's a low strength application.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Found it on YouTube, thanks Rockclimber it's pretty easy.

No problem, five! By the way, the knots on the end actually look like perfection loops (also very easy to tie), which is what I used on mine as well. The nice thing about them is they tighten up so well that you can snip the tail off completely and it won't come undone. Looks a little nicer that way.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Cool, I thought they were just bowlins ......you say perfection loops. Gonna check them out now. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Got it Rockclimber, thanks again buddy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast