Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by William36 View Post
    maybe i am a simpleton, but why not just put a shock cord loop in the line anywhere???

What is the difference??
    Echoing this thought...why not just place a 6" diameter loop of shock cord to each tarp corner loop? Then you can either tie your guyline direct to the shock cord or direct to the tarp loop - depending on the desired application. This seems too simple - any reason it won't work?

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    AHE UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/DutchBling

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by William36 View Post
    maybe i am a simpleton, but why not just put a shock cord loop in the line anywhere???

What is the difference??
    Shock cord fails sooner and more often than typical guyline cordage (zing it, tripteeze, etc), and is most likely to fail on the upwind side when the wind is blowing. If your loop breaks, your tarp will be flapping around. Mr. Murphy dictates that this will happen at three am, during a rain storm, when you are deeply asleep, and the affected loop will be the one that allows the rain to get at your equipment.

If you set it up in parallel, as shown in this thread, when the shock cord breaks, the guyline is still attached to both tarp and stake. It may flap a little, but you can mend that more quickly than having to retie one end of your setup. A little more work at home foils Mr. Murphy on the trail.

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

Re: Techniques For Make Your Own Shock Cord Tarp Tensioners

Not sure if it's been asked, but can this method be used with the figure 9 tensioners? I use those currently, and I like them, but I also like the idea of my tarp staying tight. I guess I could just go out and find out on my own

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    AHE UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/DutchBling
    Quote Originally Posted by bkautzman89 View Post
    Not sure if it's been asked, but can this method be used with the figure 9 tensioners? I use those currently, and I like them, but I also like the idea of my tarp staying tight. I guess I could just go out and find out on my own
    There's nothing about this that would prevent you from using a Figure9.

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

Re: Techniques For Make Your Own Shock Cord Tarp Tensioners

That's what i was thinking, but I was afraid that the combination wouldn't work. Like maybe the figure 9 would tension the line to much. I'm just curious what people think. I'll give it a try this weekend. See how it goes.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Wow, I'm bumping this thread because it's going to save me a bunch of work on the tensioners for my new tarp! I tied the last ones with cinch knots and I was thinking about cool-looking surgical tubing, but after hearing about it freezing in cold temps I'd rather stick with shock cord. And the youngblood method is so simple and elegant! I'm very happy to have found this thread and hope others will now enjoy it too.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Updates and Improvements

Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    I don't know if this is covered elsewhere, but it is easy as stink to make your own Jacks R Better STLs (Self-Tensioning Line).

1. I use 6 ft of Zing-It for my line which is available cheap from Dutchware.

2. Tie a small loop (i" di.) in one one end (I actually add some shrinktube over the loose ends to clean it up.

3. Tie a double knot about 1-2 inches below the knot.

4. Slide roughly 4-5 inches of surgical tube over the line and then milk 1-1.5" of it over the knot.

5. Use a small zapstrap to pinch and hold the tube just above the knot.

6. Milk the tube back over the knot.

7. Stretch the remaining 4-5" of tube down the line, tie a knot 1.5" above the end of where the tube stretches.

8. You can release the pull in the tube while you tie another double knot at your mark.

9. Restretch and then milk the tube over the lower knot. Repeat steps 4,5, and 6.

Your line should be done. For an added bonus take a 4 inch piece of line from you Zing-it and tie it into a loop. Use the loop and prussik it to your STL. This can then be used to adjust the line to meet your stake.

Note, this is simply how I copied JRB's design. I believe his uses a constrictor knot for under the tarp adjustment, but that would be way too much work for me.
    Okay, I have a few updates to this.

1. Don't just use any surgical tubing. Look (on EBay) for green Theraband. It's just the right thickness for perfect tension.
    2. Place your first of the two knots for the tube holding very close to your top loop. This will help when you are staking your tarp low.
    3. I highly recommend adding Line-locs (Dutch sells them) for adjusting the lines. With Zingit get the small ones. I like the Glow in the dark ones.
    Please enter your signature here.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock_monk View Post
    Wow, I'm bumping this thread because it's going to save me a bunch of work on the tensioners for my new tarp! I tied the last ones with cinch knots and I was thinking about cool-looking surgical tubing, but after hearing about it freezing in cold temps I'd rather stick with shock cord. And the youngblood method is so simple and elegant! I'm very happy to have found this thread and hope others will now enjoy it too.
    All shock cord and similar materials should be replace every few years especially if you store them in a non-climate controlled place. However, some retailers sell "Extreme Weather Shock Cord" 1/8" for 25cents/ft at tentpoletechnologies.com for example. I have never tried this brand but would like to hear from those who have.

Also mentioned was the heavy duty Thera-Band Resistive Latex Exercise Band (Green) about $14 for 6 yards from Amazon prime including shipping if you pay that annual fee. Also, i have never tried this on a tarp but these bands break on me a lot! A tiny abrasion is all it takes to get them started. Physical Therapist told me to stop making excuses and buy a roll or 2.

Hope this helps, report back please, we all like options not just facts. Facts are boring.

Hammock
    WBBB1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    WS
    Quote Originally Posted by seanholio View Post
    Shock cord fails sooner and more often than typical guyline cordage (zing it, tripteeze, etc), and is most likely to fail on the upwind side when the wind is blowing. If your loop breaks, your tarp will be flapping around. Mr. Murphy dictates that this will happen at three am, during a rain storm, when you are deeply asleep, and the affected loop will be the one that allows the rain to get at your equipment.

If you set it up in parallel, as shown in this thread, when the shock cord breaks, the guyline is still attached to both tarp and stake. It may flap a little, but you can mend that more quickly than having to retie one end of your setup. A little more work at home foils Mr. Murphy on the trail.
    Sweet i'm going to give it a go...
    She'll be right mate

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I went to rei to get some shock cord, and I noticed that some had more tension(harder to pull on) than others. I know to look for stuff with at least 100% stretch. But would I/we want want the stuff with lots of tension or very little? I'm concerned that the stuff with high tension would possibly tear the tarp, or be prone to launching my steaks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast