DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    this is glorious headchange! love the self-contained, anti-loss aspect of this!! one small adjustment i recommend is the Alpine Butterfly Loop as the knot for the loop at about 12" because it bears the load more evenly on the cordage, lessening the strain it takes. doesn't really matter much for a tarp i guess, but im all about using the best knots, techniques, methods, and so forth. think i'll make mine short so that i can add appropriate cordage for the locale's tie-off availability.

http://www.animatedknots.com/alpineb...matedknots.com
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    PLUQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Would a straight piece of shock cord attached to zing it using nail knots work or would they slip?

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    PLUQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    this is glorious headchange! love the self-contained, anti-loss aspect of this!! one small adjustment i recommend is the Alpine Butterfly Loop as the knot for the loop at about 12" because it bears the load more evenly on the cordage, lessening the strain it takes. doesn't really matter much for a tarp i guess, but im all about using the best knots, techniques, methods, and so forth. think i'll make mine short so that i can add appropriate cordage for the locale's tie-off availability.

http://www.animatedknots.com/alpineb...matedknots.com

Thanks for the link! I am enjoying learning the right knots and it helped in understanding this discussion as well. Former terrible Boy Scout now trying to Coach Varsity Scouts...hunger for knowledge!

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    thats the spot for knots. grade A1 instructions. also, www.theultimatehang.com has a GREAT website (and even better, a handy book) detailing "hammocking 101", with easy to follow instructions and diagrams and such. there are knots there as well that i can't remember seeing on knots by grog. the ultimate hang book is like $15, and i'd recommend it as a super easy intro. it hooked me and made me start hammocking fo'real.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Clark
    Lots of great information! Thanks

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Has anyone else been able to make this approach work? I am about to do the theraband style tensioners, but I really like this method as well.. Nice and clean, no clutter, not knots.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    Here's my take on self-tensioning guy lines. Shock cord cored Zing-It. These should be as strong as the Brummel eye and have no knots or loops to get snagged.
    Attachment 96713
    Tools and parts: 12" 14ga copper wire fid for opening the rope, large needle for picking strands out for the taper and passing the line through itself, 6" 24ga wire fid for burying line. 4" piece of 1/8" shock cord, 6' piece of Zing-It.
    Attachment 96714
    Milk the cover of the shock cord by holding one end and stretching out the shock cord sliding your fingers from where you're holding it to the free end. 3 or 4 times should yeild 3/8"-1/2" of cover past the loose end. The Zing-It gets a Brummel eye splice on one end (4", big enough to pass the hank of line through) and a back splice on the other end. There are plenty of good descriptions of these splices here and on other sites.
    Attachment 96716
    Open 12" of the line past the eye’s bury and pull the wire fid through the line. Thread the cover of the shock cord through the wire fid up to the elastic core and fold it back over the shock cord.
    Attachment 96717
    Milk the Zing-It onto the shock cord by pushing it off the fid onto the shock cord. Be careful not to pull directly on the shock cord or it will stretch and slide right off the fid. Once the loosened end of the shock cord is inside the Zing-It, continue burying it by pushing the Zing-It to the shock cord then pinching the Zing-It and stretching the shock cord inside. Let go and start again when you get to the point where the shock cord enters the Zing-It. Continue milking the shock cord into the Zing-It this way until it's completely inside. Milk the remainder of the 12" section of Zing-It onto the shock cord core, remove the wire fid, and trim the shock cord's cover if necessary. Smooth the Zing-It over the ends of the shock cord core.
    Attachment 96718
    12" of Zing-It will cover 4" of shock cord and stretch to 8".
    Attachment 96719
    Thanks for looking.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Has anyone else been able to make this approach work? I am about to do the theraband style tensioners, but I really like this method as well.. Nice and clean, no clutter, not knots.
    I use them all the time.......went from surgical tube to these.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I may be unique. One other HF member tried and didn't get very far. I learned that I really don't know how to make an instructional video.
    The trick for me is to push the zing-it onto the shock cord then milk it over the shock cord by pinching the bunched up zing-it where the shock cord sheath folds through the wire fid then pulling the bunched up zing-it over the SC with the other hand stretching the SC within then releasing the first hand allowing the zing-it to slide over the shock cord.
    I seldom use these lines as I mostly camp with scouts and use reflectorized line to ward off the scout feet. The reflectorized line I have has a stranded core. I tie a LineLok 3 to each tie-out point with shock cord and run a length of reflectorized line through the adjustment channel of the LL3. I tie a 4" loop in the stake end of the line and larks-head that to the stakes. If you use tensioners, be sure to tie your stakes as they will launch when they come out under tension.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Techniques For Make Your Own Shock Cord Tarp Tensioners

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I use them all the time.......went from surgical tube to these.
    Shug

Thanks Shug... My bad.. I was referring to the technique where the shock cord is milked inside the Zingit.

Been meaning to ask this.. When you setup in porch mode, you have the foot end higher than the head. I can see keeping things close and tight at the head end but I would think that having rain run off to the foot end would be better. Seems like a catch-22. Do you do that intentionally, and if so, why?
    Last edited by MikekiM; 03-05-2016 at 10:03.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122