Tree Straps length and questions.

Ok so I purchased 2 11' lengths of webbing to use for tree straps. I was planning on just making a water knot with each and then running around the tree and through the loop then using a marlin spike at different spots similar to the way the Slap Straps work. like this LINK

anyway I decided I want to use 'biners for a bit just for my own peace of mind. I have sewn 2" loops into the ends of each of the straps and am planning on just using them similar to the straps that whoopieslings.com and other sites sell.

Would it be a bad thing to wrap these around the trees a few times before hooking up the 'biners since they are almost double the length of most 6' straps? I have 6' whoopieslings installed on my ENO DN and was initially basing the length of the webbing I bought on the length of the Slap Straps.

This however is two completely different ways of setting up the straps. the Slap Strap way would have the length of webbing being passed through the fixed loop on one end and then cinched. the other that I am thinking of the they way you wrap the straps around a tree and have both the fixed loops attached to the 'biner

I really think I'm over thinking this but really don't want to screw things up and break my butt on the ground in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Wrapping treestraps around trees multiple times is not a problem. Although your webbing may not be the best. While I don't have any personal experience with climbing webbing, several others do. And the concensus is that due to the stretch of the tubular webbing you may wake up on the ground despite starting the night well above.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Wrapping treestraps around trees multiple times is not a problem. Although your webbing may not be the best. While I don't have any personal experience with climbing webbing, several others do. And the concensus is that due to the stretch of the tubular webbing you may wake up on the ground despite starting the night well above.
    I thought the climb spec webbing was supposed to be better and stretch less then the junk the slap straps are made of. Oh well maybe I'll just drop the cash on some straps from whoopie slings and call it a day till I'm a little more versed in this whole DIY hammock camping.

I can always use the lengths of webbing I got for something else. It was only about $7 for the 22' after all. :-)

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    think the stuff you might be using is nylon, which is going to stretch on you, especially if it gets wet, alot of people use polyester webbing instead, here's a link to a pretty good supplier and the prices are reasonable

http://www.strapworks.com/Webbing_St...brics_s/20.htm

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    While I don't have any personal experience with climbing webbing, several others do. And the concensus is that due to the stretch of the tubular webbing you may wake up on the ground despite starting the night well above.
    my current huggers are climb-spec and i haven't had any problems with them, BUT, place the MSH as close to the tree as possible. the longer the distance from the tree to your suspension the higher the chances of the huggers stretching and you waking up on the ground... ie. MSH 0-24" from tree minimal stretch, but MSH 48"+ from tree hang higher than you think you'll need

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm not sure what you material you have, but in general, climbers want stretch - lots of it - to "gently" break a fall. Hammocks don't want stretch - they don't want to fall either
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    my current huggers are climb-spec and i haven't had any problems with them, BUT, place the MSH as close to the tree as possible. the longer the distance from the tree to your suspension the higher the chances of the huggers stretching and you waking up on the ground... ie. MSH 0-24" from tree minimal stretch, but MSH 48"+ from tree hang higher than you think you'll need
    This is right and your webbing will wear some more than the relatively hard and stiff polypro webbing most use for tree straps.

But they won't drop you. At least not fast...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts