Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images

Space Blanket UQ

So I've read of people using a space blanket under the hammock with a UQP or even a UQ or pad. What I'm wondering has anyone sewed one of the more durable space blankets directly into the UQ. I'm thinking something along the lines of:
    Code:
    Inner layer
    Space blanket
    Insulation
    Outer layer
    I'm no thermodynamics expert, but my thinking is that one could get away with a good deal less insulation as the space blanket would be reflecting radiant heat back towards the user and since they are waterproof it would also serve as a vapor barrier therefore raising the effective temperature even further. Perhaps one could decrease the amount of loft needed for insulation by an inch or more?

I do also realize that the added weight of the durable space blankets means that this is purely a theoretical excerise as who wants to add nearly another pound to their UQ just to remove a few ounces? But I was curious. Does anyone else think it would work effectively? Any of our resident geniuses care to do the math and dumb it down as much as possible for those of us who use a calculator to figure out how much to tip at a restraunt?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Interesting idea, but my first thought is that it would add weight and make laundering difficult. I would just add a space blanket as needed. They do help.

Columbia is using some reflective fabrics in some of their clothing. Maybe you could buy something similar.

I did make a Garlingon Insulator using an AMK Thermal Bivy. They are ~$30, but a source of reflective material. Out of the box they are a little skinny for an UQ at 36" wide.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    That is what got me thinking along these lines. Was thinking of something such as this. Would certainly be heavy, of course I don't really like to launder sleeping bags and quilts if I can help it. Mostly just air them out and spot clean as neccessary.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

here is my version of it... it is made from an emergency blanket, it works very well and it is very light...

not sure you need to add anything to the space blanket, they are pretty hefty on their own... you just
    need to add something to either end to hang it by. You are almost better off buying a cheap sleeping bag
    and turning into an UQ by cutting it in half, unless you are looking for a modular system where you can add
    layers as you need...

you can check this DIY thread to see how I made mine.

DIY - Emergency Blanket UQ ($6.00)

I mainly use mine as a wind breaker and add my Exped 7 synthetic mattress between the hammock and the space blanket when it gets really cold... by itself, it makes for a very comfortable UQ, keeps you warm and the winds and chills at bay.

It's amazing how chilly it can get from below in an unprotected hammock on a 80 degrees day by the ocean with the winds hitting you from below.
    Last edited by LeDude; 08-10-2011 at 16:47.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I may be wrong but wouldn't it be better to put the space blanket against the hammock and Insulation/UQ under the Space blanket? If the space blanket is over the Insulation then it can't breath and your trapping moisture in your synthetic or down insulation..

At least that's how it works with the Super Shelter..
    Don't see why it would be different.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    one problem you will run into is the C work... Condensation
    thats why you don't see space blankets being used in 90% of the rigs out there... will a space blanket work yes but not for everyone.
    would i trust just a space blanket or anything made out of one... NO

a space blanket UQ is nice in the summer or warmer months to play around with but one thing i come to find after many years of hanging and seeing this comes up is... you will end up with a UQ ...

i have found that SB UQ do work best in the south west where there is very little to no humidity ...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    I made an UQ to basically the design you are talking about. It definately works to low temps, and my son currently uses it. It however is crinkly, and im sure will continue to loose warmth as the space blanket deteriorates from packing. It was an earlier experiment, and i wish i would have just left it out as the insulation is enough for most weather. He has experienced no condensation thus far.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Perhaps I didn't really word my thoughts well enough. I was contemplating the merits of using the spaceblanket as the hammock side of the UQ. Making the space blanket the inner layer of the UQ. I realize that condensation would be an issue to be addressed. But I have read of UL/SUL/HUL backpackers using vaporbarriers with less insulation than typical and remaining "comfortable", so I was curious as to if it would be a viable solution.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Perhaps I didn't really word my thoughts well enough. I was contemplating the merits of using the spaceblanket as the hammock side of the UQ. Making the space blanket the inner layer of the UQ. I realize that condensation would be an issue to be addressed. But I have read of UL/SUL/HUL backpackers using vaporbarriers with less insulation than typical and remaining "comfortable", so I was curious as to if it would be a viable solution.
    from what you were reading is this ground campers?
    i know alot of ground campers do use VB but a VB used in a hammock is a different story ... there is alot more variables with a hammock like wind and weather you would not have on the ground thats just my .01

this comes up from time to time and what alot of new members find is it just doesn't work as well as other options ... and like i said not all ppl will have the same outcome when using a VB ... some find condensation to be a problem... some don't
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts