Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Grizz's slight of hand

I must have watched Grizz's videos at least 50 times and missed it. I always wondered why he did two seperate Marlinespike hitches. I had heard him say his favorite technique was the Marlinespike on a rope, but it never clicked what he was talking about till just now. I watched the part where he was adjusting the ridgeline and the little toggle on the rope caught my eye.Then the light bulb went off.He is using the little spike to secure the rope without a knot. That is slick! I gotta try that. I also like the trucker's hitch, but was wondering, is he just securing it with a half hitch around all the ropes or just one. I can't tell from the video.

Images
    It's a spike hitch. The toggle is the spike. Watch Shug's video, as he does this a bit slower for the view.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=189

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I knew about the Marline spike hitch at the webbing. I'm talking about him using it on the rope to secure the hammock. That part was what I was missing.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I'm told Grizz responds to PMs, is better at than then the odd reference to him in posts Caught this only because of the title. I suppose "HEY GRIZZ" as a title will usually work, eventually....

Glad you like that. The 2nd MS hitch is a full up MS on two strands, the one going to the tree and above the 1st MS hitch, and the second one coming back.

You have to be using a substantial toggle though. All the compression force is focused on only those two strands.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'm told Grizz responds to PMs, is better at than then the odd reference to him in posts Caught this only because of the title. I suppose "HEY GRIZZ" as a title will usually work, eventually....

Glad you like that. The 2nd MS hitch is a full up MS on two strands, the one going to the tree and above the 1st MS hitch, and the second one coming back.

You have to be using a substantial toggle though. All the compression force is focused on only those two strands.
    I guess you got a point there. Don't know if I would throw that out there, though, you might just have a full mailbox by morning. Thankyou for the clarification of that setup. So, if I'm understanding correctly, all of the force is placed on the rope toggle, as opposed to the force on the webbing toggle is placed at the knot itself. Therefore, you need a pretty strong toggle for the rope Marlinespike hitch?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I guess you got a point there. Don't know if I would throw that out there, though, you might just have a full mailbox by morning. Thankyou for the clarification of that setup. So, if I'm understanding correctly, all of the force is placed on the rope toggle, as opposed to the force on the webbing toggle is placed at the knot itself. Therefore, you need a pretty strong toggle for the rope Marlinespike hitch?
    yep, what you're doing essentially is making a slip knot and keeping it from collapsing by sticking a toggle in the slip knot loop. All the force is focused on the cord surrounding the toggle.

you got it. Go with it.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    HangNyak or Griz, would you mind telling me which video you are referring to? I can't get my mind wrapped around exactly what you are talking about. Thanks
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

• + New Posts