Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My no-knot setup for hammock, and rain fly

I have been camping (back in my ground-dwelling days) in some cold weather and I never liked breaking camp in the bitter cold. My hands would be numb and the fingers would not cooperate with my brain when it came to untying the knots all over camp. So, I started looking for ways to make my setup knot-free.

With hammock camping it seems to have come much easier and the setup I have working now seems to have accomplished a no-knot setup without loosing the integrity of tight ridge-line or stake chords slipping.

Now, I have slept in a few different hammocks over the past couple of years and although the hammock, the bugnet, and the rain fly do get switched out from time to time, the setup remains the same.

here is my setup with pics.

The Ridge-line for the rain fly:
    For my ridge-line I used to tie one end off with a knot and then use a series of knots to make a pulley system and use that to tighten up the ridge-line. The know I used is is called the "Positive knot" and I got the knot from Paco on YouTube:

I wuold use the knot as a pully and pull the ridge-line tight against the loop and then tie it off. it is time consuming and hard to untie in the cold morning.

so, thanks to Bloomgeorge here in the hammock fourm, I now use the tarp key. I have not used it in the field yet, but my initial tests have been positive.

Hammock Suspension:

I have been using this setup for a while and have had no issues with it.

I use some climbing webbing from REI and I sewed in a loop using some strong nylon thread. Don't use cotton thread in any of your projects as the cotton will eventually rot and you will hit the floor.

The loop holds a soft shackle made from 7/64 amsteel. The web is wrapped around the tree and slipped through the soft shackle. The pic here shows the strap wrapped twice, but that is because the pole is slick and I didnt want the hammock slipping while I made the video.

Then the tag end is then looped into a marlin spike hitch and I slip a toggle (I use a stick here that I found on the ground) and that hold my whoopie sling:

So far, no knots at all.

Bug Net:

Not shown in any pictures, is the ENO Guardian. Oh yeah... I will be using the ENO DoubleNest on my next trip. I have not slept in the eno yet but I feel it will be very comfortable.

So, the Guardian has two openings with clips on the top (see the video for details) that clicp onto an extra line that came with the Guardian. I do not use the extra string as I have modified my ENO and added a ridge-line to the hammock and that holds the bug net off of my face without the use of that extra string.

The two ends open and allows you to slide your hammock and suspension through the center of the bug net. the hammock suspension keeps the net off of you and then the two openings synches close with some chord and chord-locks.

There is another chord sewn into the top of the bug net on each end, this ties to the tree to keep the bug net taught on a horizontal plain. Again I do not tie these into a a knot. I use a taught-line hitch and simply loop over the toggle that my hammock suspension whoopie slings is looped over.

Notice the outer-most black chord in this pic here:

That is the chord for the Guardian and it seems to work well.

That is the basics. Once I decide on using a UQ or not, I will work that out to where don't have to mess with any knots as well.
    Last edited by GaHammockGuy; 08-11-2011 at 12:26.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I like the postage stamp sized photos....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Great video, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Check out my gallery for the larger photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Actually, I tried something and didn't realize it would work, but I changed the post and used the LARGER photos.

Pics should be easier to see now.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    I saw 2 knots. THe stopper knot in the soft shackle. AND the marlin spike. I think its considered a knot.

Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    I saw 2 knots. THe stopper knot in the soft shackle. AND the marlin spike. I think its considered a knot.
    The stopper knot on the soft shackle does not get touched. The marlin spike is simply opened by removing the stick or toggle. I don't have to work with it to take anything down and the toggle or stick CAN actually stay in the webbing and be there for next time.

So neither of the knots that you pointed out have anything to do with the setup or the take down of the system.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Hard to tell, but in the last two pics it looks like the whoopie is hanging on the toggle and not the knot. Always hang it on the knot so it takes the load rather than the toggle.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks like a nice and fast way to setup.

I'm curious... Why is the shackle better than just a big loop at the end of the strap? Would it be worth ordering/making some straps with chains built in?

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Hard to tell, but in the last two pics it looks like the whoopie is hanging on the toggle and not the knot. Always hang it on the knot so it takes the load rather than the toggle.
    To me, it looks like the whoopie is behind the knot, but the line for the bug netting is behind the toggle.

BTW- I've had problems with fusing when using the marlin spike. Would there an issue with leaving the marlin spike in the same place for a long time?
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post

The BLACK is the chord for the bug net. the GREY is the suspension for the hammock. You can also see the red whipping knot on the hammock suspension whoopie sling.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    Looks like a nice and fast way to setup.

I'm curious... Why is the shackle better than just a big loop at the end of the strap? Would it be worth ordering/making some straps with chains built in?

To me, it looks like the whoopie is behind the knot, but the line for the bug netting is behind the toggle.

BTW- I've had problems with fusing when using the marlin spike. Would there an issue with leaving the marlin spike in the same place for a long time?
    ~~~> There is a loop sewn into the strap, but if I ever experience wear-and-tear on that section, the shackle will take the brunt of the abuse and then all I have to do is replace the shackle and not have to worry about sewing another strap. OR if I experience an issue on the trail with the shackle, I can simply replace the shackle (I have several extras with me) and not have to worry about how to work another loop into the strap should the loop fail.

If I do decide to keep the toggle nested in the strap, the shackle allows for the toggle to pass through easier than trying to pass the toggle through the loop. This can speed up the process of breaking down and setting up. That is if I can find two trees about the same distance apart as the previous two trees.

~~~> I don't understand the term "fusing" but even when I was using toggles that I took with me and not the sticks, I usually took the toggle out for storage. On a multi-day trip, I leave the toggle in the strap for the next day's setup. When I use sticks, I throw them out on the final morning.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast