WBBB 1.1 Dbl, ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ doors
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Help! I'm moving to Dallas, Texas!

I just recently found out that my employer is moving my family and me to Dallas, Texas (from the Atlanta, GA area). All of the pics that I've seen so far show a landscape that is flat and treeless. Are there good places to hike and/or hang nearby? Are there hikes that you would recommend within driving distance of that area? Will I have to abandon my hammocking ways and return to the (sleepless, painful on the joints, wondering if it's too early to get up and stop the misery) experience known as "sleeping on the ground"??? Do I need to start investigating portable hammock stands??

Help!!

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    I heard there are no trees in Texas. It's supposed to be worse than Nebraska.

Please tell your employer you need to relocate to MN.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    I heard there are no trees in Texas. It's supposed to be worse than Nebraska.

Please tell your employer you need to relocate to MN.

NOT TRUE!

I was in Dallas recently and saw a tree. In fact there are several places you can buy them, I think they're imported.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO Double, GT Single
    Suspension
    Buckles/Straps
    Head east out of Dallas and you're in Piney Woods country. It's gorgeous. Or just go anywhere in Arkansas to camp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Man Scout View Post
    All of the pics that I've seen so far show a landscape that is flat and treeless.
    Those pictures are posted to keep too many people from finding out how great Texas is and moving here in droves. No, wait, folks are doing that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Scout View Post
    Are there good places to hike and/or hang nearby? Are there hikes that you would recommend within driving distance of that area?
    The answer is yes. The question is what do you consider "driving distance"?

There are many good places to hang within a couple hour drive in nearly any direction. In fact, if you search the member list you'll find lot's of Dallas area hangers. Look for towns like Fort Worth, Granbury, Arlington, Irving, Frisco and you'll find that they are all in the Dallas area.

To the east there are more trees but there are some fine places both to the west and south.

It's not a bad drive from DFW to Southeast Oklahoma where there are great places or western Arkansas where there are more trees than you'll ever have time to tie to.

In fact, check out the group hang that is planned for November and you'll see plenty of forum folks and plenty of trees.

Welcome to The Republic!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I once hung my hammock in San Antonio (from Mesquite trees). So it is possible to find them in places.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    and you will have to go quite a distance to find anything you might recognize as a 'mountain', despite the local naming practices. on the other hand, the stargazing is quite good just an hour or so west of the DFW metroplex.
    Hope that helps, KM(who has lived here -DFW- for a goodly # of years..)

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I hate it for ya,,, I hear it HOT down there...
    alot of lightpoles to hang from I guess...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl, ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ doors
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

I think I'm starting to be talked down from the ledge

Ok. It must just be the pictures of the houses that we have been perusing on the internet. It seems like the yards are unable to support any plants higher than 6" off the ground. I'm hoping that Dallas (technically an "as of yet" undetermined suburb) will serve as a good launching point to go to New Mexico and Colorado (now that I'll be closer by a third of a continent). It's also encouraging to see the number of folks participating in the local group hangs! ...looks like finding a cowboy hat and a pair of cowboy boots is next on the agenda...

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    There is a book called something like "60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Dallas". Lot's of trails. Very well organized book. By how hard, if you have to pay to enter the area, stuff like that. Up along the Red River are some very nice public lands also. East Texas is nice. There are places like LBJ National Grass Lands, about an hour north of Dallas. 250,000 acres of wilderness and some nice trees and such.
    Be aware however, distances in Texas are something else! This state is like 900 miles from Texarcana to El Paso! Speed limits on rural highways are 70 and the cops will pass you if that is your speed (they will be cruising at 80). Rural interstates, speeds are posted at like 75 and I think even 80 out in the west. Again, you will be passed by little old ladies if you are doing 75! but then be prepared to drive! From Dallas to like Tyler State Park (LOTS of trees, lots of camp sites, waiting lists to get in), is a 2 HOUR drive! Which is considered "a short hop" around here.

And on our 1/2 acre here in the Dallas area, I have two oaks that are about 75 feet high (too close to hang from), six Cedar trees (can hang from) which the power company has to trim out of the overhead lines, two very large elm trees, two large pines.....

BTW, please let us know the area where your work is. I'm sure the Dallas area people here can assist in finding decent neighborhoods, schools and such.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast