Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Explorer or Ultralite?

I'm thinking about getting an Explorer Deluxe and was wondering how it compares to the Explorer Ultralite version in terms of durability.
    I want a hammock that will last so would I be better off just dealing with that extra pound for the sake of longevity?

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    You certain those hammocks are both gonna end up being what you're looking for?
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Don't have long-term experience, but...

...my Ultralight is very well built. The seams are professional-looking and I haven't been able to find any defects. I'm 6' and vary between 185 and 195 lbs depending on my eating habits and exercise program that month. It holds me very comfortably with no sag.

As with any soft shelter that is load-bearing, you have to be careful of puncturing it, but that's going to be true whether you get the regular Explorer or the Ultralight.

I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    You certain those hammocks are both gonna end up being what you're looking for?
    It's looking that way. I'm a shade over 6' tall but from what I've been reading even folks shorter than that seem to enjoy the added space compared to the Expedition. Still far from decided though at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...my Ultralight is very well built. The seams are professional-looking and I haven't been able to find any defects. I'm 6' and vary between 185 and 195 lbs depending on my eating habits and exercise program that month. It holds me very comfortably with no sag.

As with any soft shelter that is load-bearing, you have to be careful of puncturing it, but that's going to be true whether you get the regular Explorer or the Ultralight.

I hope this helps!
    That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear. So your saying the only real disadvantage is the price? (and 50lb weight limit)

Images
    I have used my Explorer UL occasionally since Sept 06 ( my 1st hammock) and it is still hanging in there. So far so good, and I still find it to be quite comfortable. I am actually debating taking it- and maybe with the HH Super Shelter- both just for old times sakes on an upcoming week long trip to the Wind River Mountains in WY. That is where I took my 1st ever trip using a hammock- the Explorer UL with SS. But now I have too many good options so hard to decide.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-11-2011 at 19:35.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling3749 View Post
    It's looking that way. I'm a shade over 6' tall but from what I've been reading even folks shorter than that seem to enjoy the added space compared to the Expedition. Still far from decided though at this point.
    i'm a shade over 6'3" and 200lbs and have no complaints with my explorer ultralite for comfort or durability

That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear. So your saying the only real disadvantage is the price? (and 50lb weight limit)
    if your not concerned about weight and having to carry it, then i would pry save the $30 and go with the deluxe, but it your gonna be carrying a pack, being able to save a pound is huge, also the ultralite will save you 160 cu in's in space when packed

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I think most people have about covered it. hennessy's are great hammocks and will last a really long time. and they are the same dimensions just ones fabric is a little lighter and like they said if packweight isnt a problem then just get the cheaper deluxe. both great hammock. I hope we can welcome you to team hennessy
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Pretty much. I went with the UL specifically because it allowed me to go up to the 70d Polyester PU-coated hex rainfly with no weight penalty when compared to the Explorer Deluxe and standard rainfly (as a matter of fact, I'm saving 10 ounces before tie-outs and CRL). I definitely recommend the upgrade, especially as you live in an area that sees a lot of rain.

Unless you're an extremely large individual (or plan on rather acrobatic activities inside it with someone else ), the 50-lb rating difference shouldn't be even noticeable.

$30 is a decent chunk of change, but it's only about a 15% increase over the Explorer Deluxe's price tag. I think it's worth it. As to whether you will, well, I'd offer to let you try it out, but it's a bit of a drive from where I live to where you live.

Thanks everyone.
    I still need to mull it over for a few days but more and more it's looking like I'll go for the Explorer Ultalite since I'll mostly be using the hammock for backpacking.

Thanks for the tip about the fly FLRider, I might just end up doing that since, like you said, it rains allot here and the extra coverage would be nice so I'll certainly keep that one in mind.

Images
    i have both. i used the ultra for the AT. my son uses the other. both a durable, but mine has the zipper mod. i sold the stock tarps. i use a DIY hammock in winter, but the HH is my go-to for bug season and i have owned 10 hammocks over the years.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast