Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Converting to a new tarp suspension (DIY, kinda)

Let me know if I'm on the right track here, HF members. I hate wasting rope/materials on not properly understanding things, which is a common problem for me.

Right now I have a Funky Forest Tarp and I'm using cheap nylon rope from Home Depot for my tarp ridgeline. The tarp hangs under the ridgeline, and I like it that way because the tarp has three loops on the ridgeline and I run the ridgeline rope right through them with Amsteel Blue prusiks on the ends to tension the tarp. I am also paranoid about running the ridgeline under the tarp since it seems like that will cause unwanted friction that will cause wear on the tarp at the most important place (the ridgeline).

But I don't want to make a ridgeline just for the Funky Forest Tarp. I want a ridgeline that will work for my next tarp (as yet unpurchased). Therefore I have ordered 180 ft. of 2.2 mm Zing-it, and am going to trade some of that to Avenger for 1.75 mm Zing-it. I'm going to make a 30' single-line tarp ridgeline just like http://whoopieslings.com sells.

Right now I'm inclined to use the 2.2 mm Zing-it for the tarp ridgeline, and I'll use the 1.75 mm Zing-It to make soft shackle prusiks to attach to ridgeline. The only reason I'm considering 2.2 mm for the ridgeline is that I have read that prusiks work better when the prusik is smaller diameter than the rope to which you will attach. Then again, I have also read that you could attach 1.75 mm Zing-it prusiks to 1.75 mm Zing-it rope and there won't be a problem once the coating wears off a bit. I err on the side of caution.

I've also ordered the Nite Ize Knot Bone for one end of the ridgeline and the Nite Ize small Figure 9 for the adjustable end of the ridgeline. I'll make soft shackle prusiks as my first choice, but I also ordered S-biners in case I decide to use those to attach tarp to standard prusiks. Then again, I might try Klemheist knots to attach tarp to ridgeline. With the stuff I have ordered, my possibilities are endless. What I don't use for this hammock, I can always use on another hammock.

I was originally planning on converting my Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip to whoopie sling suspension with separate tarp suspension. However, I'm glad I have another hammock system (Byer Moskito with Funky Forest Tarp) to experiment on before I go converting my Hennessy.

I love my Hennessy all-in-one system, but a year from now, I might be way beyond that and looking to sell it so I can upgrade my tarp, hammock, or get a UQ or TQ. I figure my Hennessy will move much faster when it comes time to sell it if it's closer to factory spec. Noobs might not want a separate tarp suspension.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to a) getting a better tarp suspension, and b) preserving my options for future tarps and c) not wasting money on things that are only good for my current setup? Your comments are always appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's a very similar setup to what I have, except I use mostly paracord and 3/32" drawcord. It is a good setup, and I was able to transition from a diamond to a rectangular tarp in about 5 minutes. It works very well in the woods, and as far as ridgeline length, it only needs to be as long as your suspension system.

For example, with 6ft tree straps, 8ft whoopies (fully extended), and a 9ft SRL, you need a tarp ridgeline 2*6+2*8+9=37ft long. That's as far as the hammock will go, so there's no reason to carry the extra line.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JCINMA View Post
    For example, with 6ft tree straps, 8ft whoopies (fully extended), and a 9ft SRL, you need a tarp ridgeline 2*6+2*8+9=37ft long. That's as far as the hammock will go, so there's no reason to carry the extra line.
    Ya know, JCINMA, I never really looked at like that. Thanks for giving me a new perspective!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That's an excellent setup! I think you will be very happy with it.

I also worry (maybe needlessly) about putting the ridgeline under the tarp for the same reasons you do.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

What I have used the past few trips is 10' per side of cheap poly rope from home depot. I think I bought 75' for $2.44. It's rated for a working load of 75 lbs. I am sure there is stronger multi use cord out there, but this stuff is light, low stretch, and purple.

I tie a bowline knot on one end that attaches to the tarp, and a stopper knot on the other end. I then made what I call a soft shackle out 1' of paracord that has a bowline knot connecting it to the tarp end, and a blakes hitch connecting it to the 10' of poly cord. The 10' section loops around a tree, and allows me to adjust the tarp for tension and centering fairly easily.

I have a structural ridge line on my hammock for hanging things. This works pretty good for me so far.

When I did use the 30' long continuous ridge line, I always found that when i hung something on it, it would just sag too much. I was more afraid of damaging the tree or my gear by really cranking down on it.

K

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KLHinNC View Post
    What I have used the past few trips is 10' per side of cheap poly rope from home depot. I think I bought 75' for $2.44. It's rated for a working load of 75 lbs. I am sure there is stronger multi use cord out there, but this stuff is light, low stretch, and purple.

K
    KLHiNC, I'm using that same Home Depot rope right now for my tarp ridgeline. I really have no complaints with it, but I'm looking forward to playing with some Zing-it.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fubba28 View Post

I'm going to make a 30' single-line tarp ridgeline just like http://whoopieslings.com sells.

Right now I'm inclined to use the 2.2 mm Zing-it for the tarp ridgeline, and I'll use the 1.75 mm Zing-It to make soft shackle prusiks to attach to ridgeline. The only reason I'm considering 2.2 mm for the ridgeline is that I have read that prusiks work better when the prusik is smaller diameter than the rope to which you will attach. Then again, I have also read that you could attach 1.75 mm Zing-it prusiks to 1.75 mm Zing-it rope and there won't be a problem once the coating wears off a bit. I err on the side of caution.

I've also ordered the Nite Ize Knot Bone for one end of the ridgeline and the Nite Ize small Figure 9 for the adjustable end of the ridgeline. I'll make soft shackle prusiks as my first choice, but I also ordered S-biners in case I decide to use those to attach tarp to standard prusiks. Then again, I might try Klemheist knots to attach tarp to ridgeline. With the stuff I have ordered, my possibilities are endless. What I don't use for this hammock, I can always use on another hammock.
    I made a DIY version of the whoopieslings.com continuous tarp ridgeline setup and use 2.2mm Zing IT for the main line and 1.75mm Lash IT for the 3 prussic loops. Attachment to the trees is via a KnotBone on one end to and a small figure 9 on a prussic loop on the other end. It works great and I've not had any issues with my prussic loops slipping. Although I haven't been out in any gail force winds either.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Although I haven't been out in any gail force winds either.
    When Hurricane Irene came through here, it was all I could do to restrain myself from hanging the hammock in the back yard. I really, really, really wanted to test my setup in those conditions. Then a voice in my head would say "This could wreck your whole setup. Do you really want that?"

And then I could imagine my wife inviting people over, with a crowd gathered at the back door while my wife points to me and my hammock and says, "Look at my husband sleeping under a hammock in a hurricane. What an idiot!"

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey there is nothing wrong with sleeping in your hammock during a hurricane. Well i say that now after i did it. Though i am sad to say that my tarp wasnt up to the job. My tarp was COMPLETELY soaked through. Its a GG 12x12. Not sure if it was cause i had the tarp ridgeline going under the tarp or not but my rigging held.

Here is my setup:
    25ft 2.2 zing it (maybe 30ft)
    3xMasonline continuous loops pursiked 3 times
    2xS-biners
    1xFigure 9
    Bunch of tie outs made from masonline

When i rig it put a Siberian hitch on one end and then use the Figure 9 to tighten it up on the other. The the tarp just clips right in to the S-biners. With this i can easily pick if i want the tarp over or under the ridgeline. Under for calmer weather. Over for rougher/hurricane.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Geez, finally got my knotbones and Figure 9s today, after ordering on 9/23. I tracked the USPS priority mail shipment online, and the package spent four days in Kearny, NJ doing, I don't know what. I can't understand why even an inanimate object would want to spend four days in that town. That was the longest nine days of my life.

I put a fixed Brummel loop on the knotbone and a soft shackle prusik on the Figure 9, and had it all up in no time. Thankfully, the 1.75 mm Zing-It soft shackle prusiks that attach the tarp to the ridgeline don't slip at all. I've got the tarp out in the rain right now to field test it and see if anything slips.

This concludes the latest episode of "Pimp my tarp suspension."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast