Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buying hammock to replace bed

Hello all ,

I am throwing away my bed and buying a hammock , i had a few questions if you would be so kindely to help me with

first which of the 3 would you say is better for sleeping in ( if none of the 2 can you recommend some )

1-http://www.hammockuniverse.com/ca/br...stand-set.html

2-http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-packages/hand-woven-hammock-sets/xxlmayanhammockwithadjustablestand.cfm

3-http://www.hammockuniverse.com/ca/mayan-hammock-xl-family-sized-thick-cord-universal-hammock-stand-set.html

and also my gf will be coming over so i would like to know if sex is the same as on the bed or is it better or worse

all your help is greatly appreciated , thank you all in advance,

Peter.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2k View Post
    Hello all ,

I am throwing away my bed and buying a hammock , i had a few questions if you would be so kindely to help me with

first which of the 3 would you say is better for sleeping in ( if none of the 2 can you recommend some )

1-http://www.hammockuniverse.com/ca/brazilian-style-double-hammock-universal-hammock-stand-set.html

2-http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-packages/hand-woven-hammock-sets/xxlmayanhammockwithadjustablestand.cfm

3-http://www.hammockuniverse.com/ca/mayan-hammock-xl-family-sized-thick-cord-universal-hammock-stand-set.html

and also my gf will be coming over so i would like to know if sex is the same as on the bed or is it better or worse

all your help is greatly appreciated , thank you all in advance,

Peter.
    haha I dont know if we are allowed to answer that last part in the general forums.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

New Member DCSslightlytothaleft's Avatar
    Hammock
    eno DN
    Tarp
    cheep eyebolt mod
    Insulation
    needed
    Suspension
    slapstraps
    I'm not really sure which of these specific hammocks you would want to by. With that being said I can tell you that you are on the right track by picking a clothe hammock. I do know that if you are researching clothe hammocks it would not be a bad idea to check to see if the item's thread count is listed. This should tell you how soft the material is. The higher the thread count, the softer the material. Other than that, your choice is up to color preference I would say.

As for your other question, simple physics says it's a no go. Two much resistance. You also must consider the weight of two ppl in the hammock.

Hope that helps you friend.

much love

dcs

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    you need to talk to Cannibal, I think he's tried every kind of indoor setup there is (besides, he's a hoot to talk to) : )
    Debi

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    For a throw-your-bed-away replacement, I would not recommend a Mayan style hammock. Particularly based on your location. Mayans are absolutely fabulous when it is super hot outside; nothing compares. However, you will be chilled without something under you the rest of the time.

Brazilians tend to be the best all-purpose full-time hammock. The solid sheet of cotton (or whatever) gives you enough of a thermal barrier to not need any insulation below you most of the time. Without spending a ton of money, they are also the most comfortable against the skin long term. Some of the very expensive Nicaraguans are beyond comfortable, but it comes at a price. The Brazilians can be great for as little as $70 or $80. Spend more and get even softer materials, but don't spend much less lest you get what turns out to be a throw-away after a few months.

I don't like the one Brazilian you linked. For starters, it is way overpriced for its specs. Give this Brazilian a peek. Overall length is important. Bed length is certainly a factor, but it's the overall length that gives these hammocks their comfort and flexibility. Try to keep a target of 12' minimum (the linked one is just short of that number, but still a comfortable hang) as you're shopping and you should do well for yourself. This one is very comfortable initially because of its length, but overnight, you start to feel the inferior quality of the weave. So, it's a tricky game and often times you don't know until you are holding it in your hands.

Again, the material used increases (generally) in quality as the price goes up. There are always sales that create exceptions to the rule and the occasional great find does come along from time to time, but I generally spend between $75 & $200 on my Brazilians. Course, my girlfriend also sleeps in a hammock full-time and she is in charge of decor around here. That means my Brazilians have to have fancy patterns and fringes.

Which leads me to your last question. First, this is a family site so tread carefully on this topic. It's a valid topic and of concern to those of us that use hammocks full-time, but it's a slippery slope. That said, there is no way in this world that my girlfriend and I would have survived the transition from bed to hammock if said activity wasn't possible. Is it the same? Not really. I'm not going to get it any descriptions, but suffice to say it is a new skill set and requires practice. You'll figure it out quick enough. Keep in mind that there are generations of people in Central and South America that were conceived, born, raised, consummated their own marriage, and passed away in hammocks. So, no it really isn't much of a problem. Most of the Brazilians will easily handle the additional weight and dynamic forces, however be positive about your anchor points. You are going to increase the forces on those points fairly dramatically; be certain they will hold. As well as whatever structure your hammock is attached to.

Good luck in your search and it's good to see another person trying the bliss of a life spent sleeping in a hammock.

Edit: Just saw the Brazilian comes with the stand, so I take back the bit about the price. Still don't like the hammock and that stand is going to make the overall length of the hammock effectively shorter the way the lines fold over the bar. Price is fair, but I'm still of the opinion it isn't worth the fair price.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Here's my question cannibal or anyone else who knows...

I've seen this hammock suggested on here a few times for full-time sleeping. How would a hammock like that be for 2 people to sleep on? Or would you be wanting to find one of those "Fits the whole family and your great grandpapy" sized hammocks for that.

Mostly curiosity as this isn't an option for me right now. Haha.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    HF member Brushybill was pleased, I think, doing business with this maker in the Yucccatan http://www.meridahammocks.com/index.php?cat=1.

He may still have a barely used tan one for sale that was redundant to his needs.

From his recommendation of the company he bought from, I took a chance and small hit to my wallet to have my sister order one in just the colors she wanted. She tells me the communications with the vendor were excellent, and she is very pleased with what she received. It is weird to pay more for shipping than to the seller, who has not set up a trans-shipper in CONUS.

But, the total price still works out well. And they do ship quickly.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-14-2011 at 10:12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QChan View Post
    I've seen this hammock suggested on here a few times for full-time sleeping. How would a hammock like that be for 2 people to sleep on? Or would you be wanting to find one of those "Fits the whole family and your great grandpapy" sized hammocks for that.
    Honestly, depends on the sleepers. My girlfriend (Genuine Draft) and I very much enjoy sleeping together in a hammock...sometimes. Nightly, it would be a nightmare. You MUST be snugglers; no way around it. You need a hammock that is at least 5' wide, but even with an 8' wide piece of fabric you're still going to be smushed together. With two people, wider is better.

The 'whole family' hammocks are going to be almost exclusively found to be Mayan style hammocks and a few Nicaraguans. The open weave allows the bed to stretch nicely and helps accommodate the extra girth. They work better than any hammock we've found with a solid sheet for a bed. Course, the trade-off is the occasional toe caught in the weave. Usually happens to Genuine Draft as she is trying to get out of the hammock. Also usually involves Cannibal getting punched for laughing at the resulting stumble.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by QChan View Post
    Here's my question cannibal or anyone else who knows...

Mostly curiosity as this isn't an option for me right now. Haha.
    i have that hammock with a fringe for sleeping in during the cooler months , which in sc isn"t very long , i like it a lot, i would not recommend trying to sleep in any hammock with 2 adults, you can fit several people in the big mayans ,but you would not be very comfortable

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    HF member Brushybill was pleased, I think, doing business with this maker in the Yucccatan http://www.meridahammocks.com/index.php?cat=1.

He may still have a barely used tan one for sale that was redundant to his needs.

From his recommendation of the company he bought from, I took a chance and small hit to my wallet to have my sister order one in just the colors she wanted. She tells me the communications with the vendor were excellent, and she is very pleased with what she received. It is weird to pay more for shipping than to the seller, who has not set up a trans-shipper in CONUS.

But, the total price still works out well. And they do ship quickly.
    i still have a mayan thick string that i bought from these folks, it is a very comfortable hammock ,but too small for me at 6' tall, it would be a good warm weather hammock for a smaller person
    the hammock i currently sleep in is a "tommy hamaca xx grande". it is huge with a very tight weave, as long as i have a top cover it is warm enough for warm weather, i would love to get one of the crochet hammocks , a little pricey but way cheaper than any mattress, in the cold months i sleep in the brazilian mentioned in my previous post

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast