Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member Lonely Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bolingbrook, IL
    Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Posts
    1,516

    What knot do I need to learn?

    Simple setup:

    I enjoy setting my tarps up in porch mode, using long guy lines run out to trees at or above head height.

    What knot do I need to learn where I could simply take a guy line, wrap it around the tree/post/whatever, then tension and knot...or knot and then tension?

    It seems everything I've tried so far, I pull, tie it down, then the second I let go it all droops. So I've clearly got to learn a new knot.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member KP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Outside of Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    335
    First off you didn't say what knot or hitch you typically use. There are a few hitches that I believe would work depending on each situation. But what comes immediately to mind is the tautline hitch. You could also try the truckers hitch but don't pull it like your trying to tie down a refrigerator in the back of a pick-up. What about a nite-ize figure 9? What about shockcord/bungee?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lonely Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bolingbrook, IL
    Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by KP View Post
    First off you didn't say what knot or hitch you typically use. There are a few hitches that I believe would work depending on each situation. But what comes immediately to mind is the tautline hitch. You could also try the truckers hitch but don't pull it like your trying to tie down a refrigerator in the back of a pick-up. What about a nite-ize figure 9? What about shockcord/bungee?
    I'm trying to keep it simple. Just a guy line around a tree, tied to itself with tension. No bones, or figure 9s, or bungee.

    I don't know the names of the knots I use, which shouldn't matter since they aren't working.

    I'm looking up taut-line hitch now.

    Edit, looks like that might work! It's almost like a prussic how it works under tension. Thanks, I'm going to go out back and try it out now.

  4. #4
    Senior Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    4,110
    Images
    207
    Step one: use loops of bungee cord attached to the tarp tieout points to maintain tension.
    Step two: attach guy line to bungee loop, and tie off to tree with a taut-line hitch.

    There are numerous other solutions involving hardware that are also good, but this basic technique works, and it's good to have it in your repertoire to fall back on. I have used this with a wide variety of guylines, including very tiny 100 lb. test spectra fishing line, but braided mason's line is a good choice, and cheap. You may be using long lines for a tarp in porch mode, so get in the practice of tying up excess line with the figure-8 around your fingers method. I keep a 6" piece of 3/32" bungee tied to the very end of the line because a single half-hitch of the bungee around the figure-8 bundle will hold well, but it's easy to untie.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Starkville Ms
    Posts
    206
    Learn to tie a tautline hitch or a truckers hitch! You should be able to find both demonstrated on YouTube! Either of these knots will do the trick!
    I personally would tie the guyline to a prussick knot using a slippery half hitch! This would allow you to retension the line as needed with little fiddle factor!
    I suggest you learn all of these knots. You never know when you may need them!
    Hope this helps!

  6. #6
    exup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Posts
    1,199
    Images
    2
    The way tendertoe taught me is:

    You have a prussik that attaches to the guy line, and then guy line is larks headed through the tarp pull out. You have a eye or loop that attaches to the stake, or in this case, around the tree. Wrap the line around the tree. Pull the tie out line through you eye loop (at the end of the line) and place a stick or toggle in between the line you pulled through the loop and the loop. It should hold strong. Ajust by using prussik attached to the tarp and beginning of the guy line.

    Or simply add a prussic to the middle of the guy line, and attach eye loop via carabiner or toogle there and adjust from that point. That's how I attach my tarp at one end for dull ridge line adjustability.

    Sorry, the only knots I know are a prussik and half hitch haha.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    hershey, PA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    51
    don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. pull your line tight, then wrap it around the stake or tree a bunch of times, THEN tie your knot.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Tendertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    The way tendertoe taught me is:

    You have a prussik that attaches to the guy line, and then guy line is larks headed through the tarp pull out. You have a eye or loop that attaches to the stake, or in this case, around the tree. Wrap the line around the tree. Pull the tie out line through you eye loop (at the end of the line) and place a stick or toggle in between the line you pulled through the loop and the loop. It should hold strong. Ajust by using prussik attached to the tarp and beginning of the guy line.

    Or simply add a prussic to the middle of the guy line, and attach eye loop via carabiner or toogle there and adjust from that point. That's how I attach my tarp at one end for dull ridge line adjustability.

    Sorry, the only knots I know are a prussik and half hitch haha.
    What Works for Me Part 2 - Tarp Tieouts Around 3:45 seconds is where what exup is talking about. It can be used for the corner tie outs or the side pullouts.

    Extremely simple IMHO. Absolutely no knots tied in the field - which is nice for gloved/cold hands - self tensioning, easy to adjust.

  9. #9
    Senior Member KP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Outside of Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    .............I don't know the names of the knots I use, which shouldn't matter since they aren't working.....
    Not meaning to be a PITA but since I've been known to be a PITA from time to time I see no real advantage to changing that now. Anyway, sharing your current technique with those that want to help does matter. That way it will cut down on folks making recommendations that you may have already tried.

    So, how did the tautline hitch work for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Step one: use loops of bungee cord attached to the tarp tieout points to maintain tension.
    Step two: attach guy line to bungee loop, and tie off to tree with a taut-line hitch.

  10. #10
    Boothill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Or simply add a prussic to the middle of the guy line, and attach eye loop via carabiner or toogle there and adjust from that point. That's how I attach my tarp at one end for dull ridge line adjustability.
    this gets my vote, put a small loop in the end of your line, run it around the tree and attach it to your purssic via small carabiner or s-biner

    boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

    4th Annual Black Hills Hang Aug 20-23

Similar Threads

  1. I learn from your mistakes
    By crunchy_peanutbutter in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 05:29
  2. a lot to learn from TN
    By patkaye in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:16
  3. When are you going to learn
    By GT in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 10:39
  4. New guy looking to learn.
    By PokeEm in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 11:48
  5. Always something new to learn.
    By LilDutchBoy in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 00:09

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •