Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Would love advice on choosing a new tarp

So far I have been happy with the stock rainfly that came with my HH expedition a-sym. However a few nights ago we got some really heavy rain and unfortunately I got pretty soaked because the rain came in from the sides. I have been looking into getting a much bigger tarp in order to prevent this from happening again. I have budgeted about $150 out of my next paycheck to make this purchase. I've been looking at the Hennessy Hex tarps, OES MacCat tarps, and the warbonnet superfly tarps. I'm having trouble weighing the pros and cons of each aside from the obvious weight differences. I am however open to all suggestions that are different from the tarps listed above. Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i replaced my stock HH with the BMJ from Warbonnet, i went with it instead of the Superfly for a couple reasons

i like to DIY and want to make my own doors for the tarp and i also wanted to be able to leave the doors out of my pack if i wanted too, the doors are built into the superfly (not saying anything negative about that tho)

about the 3rd time out with the BMJ i was in a really hard rain/hail/wind storm and was bone dry after it was all said and done, nothing but good things to say about my Warbonnet tarp, Brandon makes excellent gear

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Kyletak,

Those are all good options, BUT you are the only one who can figure out will work best for your setup. How much is enough coverage, how light is light enough, do you really need the doors, etc. So take a look at all of the different options and then do yourself a huge favor.......

Get yourself a $5 plastic drop cloth, cut to the approximate size of your largest prospect and hang it. You can stake it out in porch mode, relaxed pitch and storm pitch and really get a feel for the size. Then take out the scissors, cut down to the next smaller tarp size and play some more. This 1 hr exercise takes ALL the speculation and guess work out of the decision. This way you will know what you are really getting and will have an idea of how it will work for you. You may, after using the real thing, end up changing your mind, but you will start off getting something you know will work for you.
    Good luck,
    Jason

PS. I went with the WB Edge, sized right between the Std and Deluxe so I didn't have to choose between the two.

pasted from a previous 'which tarp' post

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Kyletak,

Those are all good options, BUT you are the only one who can figure out will work best for your setup. How much is enough coverage, how light is light enough, do you really need the doors, etc. So take a look at all of the different options and then do yourself a huge favor.......
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. I originally was tossed up with the idea of the OES Mac Cat Delux, or the Hennessy Hex. But they were juuuust out of my budget. My biggest driving factor was budget. One thing I did really like about the HH HEx was that it had the little pockets for your strings to go in. But whatever.

I found an excellent deal on a tarp right here on the forums...a Wilderness Logics Big Daddy. I love it!

But it really is just up to you. In that price range they are all just about the same....
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    From personal experience, OES or WB are both great and the maker are both great to deal with. I also have read great things about Wilderness Logics tarps and customer service.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

This will go against the grain for most of the forum readers, but I've been in tropical storms (Yeah, downgraded hurricanes) and stayed dry. Site selection, angle of the hammock to the wind, staking the sides low have worked for me. SGT Rock had some good advice posted some years back. I imagine it is still at his site. I think he mentioned the hurricane he rode out in LA that was the same tropical storm by the time it reached MA.

If you are willing to carry the extra bulk ad weight, by all means, go for it!
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleen View Post
    This will go against the grain for most of the forum readers, but I've been in tropical storms (Yeah, downgraded hurricanes) and stayed dry. Site selection, angle of the hammock to the wind, staking the sides low have worked for me. SGT Rock had some good advice posted some years back. I imagine it is still at his site. I think he mentioned the hurricane he rode out in LA that was the same tropical storm by the time it reached MA.

If you are willing to carry the extra bulk ad weight, by all means, go for it!
    very true. you can get by with a smaller tarp with better site selection but sometimes at the end of the day im lazy and just pick 2 trees. I just like hauling the bigger tarp but for some its all about weight.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My experience is with Warbonnet tarps, my own DIY tarps and Hammockgear Cuben tarps.
    Here are some of my videos if your inclined to see some tarpage in action.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    I have the HH Hex 70D PE which I use for car caming and short, flat walk in. It is enormous and gives very good coverage. For hilly back packing I use the asym as weight becomes more important. The HH hex is a very good price and very well made. I guess the typhoon is also well made and good for purpose, as well as being a good price.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the HH Silnylon Hex. I like it. A lot. It provides ample coverage and is lightweight. I can stow my gear, and still have room to sit in my camp chair if it rains.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast