Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayan Stand?

Mayan Stand?

I have looked around the forum but cannot find any advice on buying a stand for Mayan style hammock. I've got a large "family sized" (13.3 feet in length) hammock and would like to be able to buy a stand for it that is large and strong enough to support both me and my wife hanging in it at the same time. We both weigh around 170lbs. The hammock stand would be outside for the summer and inside for the rest of the year.

I move around a lot (I'm a Methodist minister) so I don't think mounting it somewhere, either inside or out, would be practical. Thanks so much for your help!

Tim

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Welcome Tim!! Stands that big will be tuff to come by and even harder to move. Not sure where you reside when you move around alot, but hanging points can be easily found inside without too much damage (easily patchable if you were to move away) and outside can be done with two trees or posts.

Check out the threads from Cannibal. He is a long time indoor hanger and very knowledgable with the big hammocks.

PS. Please dont leave that awesome hammock outside during the summer. you wont like it afterwards.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wish I could help.

I have not yet found a commercial stand that will accomodate my big hammocks. There are a few out there that claim to do so, but I have been disappointed each and every time I've tried one. Modifications to existing stands can be made in a manner that they will work, but off the shelf...I got nothin.

Stay away from stands that fold the suspension lines over and then anchor down the outside of the support. This will make the big hammocks fit without your backside brushing the ground, but the comfort of the hammock simply isn't the same. Everybody is different, but those are my opinions at the moment.

Building a stand from wood really isn't difficult at all. If you have access to someone that is handy with a welder, a metal stand is just about as easy...just a little more expensive. But, as TFC Rick pointed out, attaching to a structure isn't hard and is usually very easy to repair when you're done. I don't use stands on my indoor hammocks at all anymore.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    2 WBBB 1.7DL, HH JSz,ULBA etc.
    Tarp
    WBSF,Kelty12,GG12
    Insulation
    WBWY, Leigh's 3sUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

mayan stand

I use a stand I got at the goodwill for $70.00 it is a steel stand that target sells for $150.00. But my jumbo Mayan hammock stretches quite a bit when I put my 350lbs body in it so sometime during the nite my butt starts to touch the ground. To fix this I went to Menards and bought some galvanized pipe that just fit inside and extended the stand several inches on each side and now it works great. I sleep in my Mayan hammock every nite. it's even more comfortable than my Wbbb's

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    How rich do you feel? This is over the top expensive, but should give you some ideas. Note the steel brackets, also overpriced, but any small welding shop can replicate them for half the price.
    http://hangouts.com/Hammocks/Accessories/
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Thanks for the tips - they're really helpful. Would you recommend mounting inside, even if two adults will be spending their time in it? Getting the hardware wouldn't be a problem, we're just a little unsure of the walls. We've got a double-stud we can mount one end near a window, but just a regular-old stud across the corner from it, where we'd hang the other side. This is a rental house and we're scared of ruining the place!

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Well first things first, if you don't feel safe don't do it. My set up is right into the wall and I weigh 290-ish. I have wood paneling and I use a swing hook from IKEA. Just be sure you are finding studs and hitting the center and you should be good all things considered.

Hope this helps.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    This reply is a little late but there are always new visitors seeing the thread for the first time.... I only use mayan hammocks and here are two threads of stands I have built. You can also check out my gallery for more pics. I have since tested another design that did not work out but still have one more idea waiting to be built.

Hammock Stand Built Like a Tank

Threaded Pipe Hammock Stand V3.2

I also have used the mayan on the small three pole back breaker $40 stand (with S hooks) you can find most places but I did have to tie the ends around the poles to 'shorten' the length. It worked but it was too cocoon-ish since it couldn't spread out much.
    Tag with Home if your thread is more about home hammocks. Thanks!

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Heya Rev… Glad ta have ya here on HF.
    I have a set up inside that I’ve been in every night for 2 months now. Here’s some pics…

Full hang

4” HD lags into studs with D-Rings

This setup holds me (200lbs) and my 65lb pitbull with no problem!

When you move all you do is spackel(sp) and paint 4 small holes…
    Just make sure you are in studs, you should have no problem. Or you could hang 2 hammocks side by side!
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I didn’t realize this thread was from August! Oh well… maybe he’ll see it. Maybe somebody else will have some use for it...
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast