Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Very cool. I think I'll give this a try with my Clark. No serious modification needed to allow for it and tying the trucker's hitch into the rope has been hard to undo for me. Pretty slick.

Images
    Bump.

Any thoughts on using the truckers hitch idea crossed with the ring buckle system? Instead of using seperate tree huggers, use the biner and webbing like the ring buckle system. Then using a slip knot to tie the webbing directly to 1 decending ring. This would mean only 1 ring is needed per side, saving a little weight. The big thing for me is it would be easier to undo. I keep having issues undoing the webbing from the rings if I pull the hammock too tight.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Bump.

Any thoughts on using the truckers hitch idea crossed with the ring buckle system? Instead of using seperate tree huggers, use the biner and webbing like the ring buckle system. Then using a slip knot to tie the webbing directly to 1 decending ring. This would mean only 1 ring is needed per side, saving a little weight. The big thing for me is it would be easier to undo. I keep having issues undoing the webbing from the rings if I pull the hammock too tight.
    This is a little different, but strives to reduce weight by using rope rather than webbing. Uses one ring per side.

1. Double looped webbing, line tied to webbing with a double sheetbend.

2. Ring attached to line, line to biner on hammock, back-and-forth, simple slippery half-hitch holds it.

I like it. Only down-side is that to set up and take down I need to separate the hammock and webbing+cord. Could deal with that by putting a biner up at the webbing side, but two biners == 2 oz, minimum.

My lightweight bridge doesn't use a biner, just a loop of cord. Same principles apply.

I've tried even eliminating the ring with a loop in the cord, but this Vectran 12 binds pretty easily and they've proven to be hard to undo. So it was back to the ring for me.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 06-16-2008 at 21:26. Reason: get the photo link correct

Images
    Thanks. I guess weight wise I would only be cutting an oz or so. You system looks good, just a little too busy for me. I'll have to give it a try and report back.

At one point, I think from Brandan somewhere, give a link to some sprectra webbing, or Dyneema. I think I am going to give that a go sometime soon. I little pricey, but it shouldn't stretch and will be lighter. The only drawback is it is .5" wide, so I will have to go around the tree a couple times not to do damage to the bark.

I am trying to get the total number of pieces in my setup down as low as I can so I can have less to keep track of. That and I want to keep everything painfully simple. One issue I always find with my hammock is that in a pinch, most people won't be able to set it up if I can't. Then again most people could set my tarp up and I could get under.

Images
    At one point, I think from Brandan somewhere, give a link to some sprectra webbing, or Dyneema. I think I am going to give that a go sometime soon. I little pricey, but it shouldn't stretch and will be lighter. The only drawback is it is .5" wide, so I will have to go around the tree a couple times not to do damage to the bark.
    that spectra webbing is rated to 4000?# www.yatesgear.com , so it's actually not lighter. the lightest webbing i know of is the heavyweight polypro webbing which is around 5-6 g/ft, and the owf camo polyester is a very close second in weight (6.1g/ft) and more than twice as strong (2000#) and probably stretches less. there was some discussion at some point about using that stuff called mule tape that electricians pull wires through conduit with. they make different kinds, polyester, kevelar and possibly dyneema in different strengths and widths. i have a short piece that i found that looks really light and has 1200# printed on the side.

go with the owf camo though, it is good stuff and stretches very little. i've never used the heavyweight polypro so i can't really comment on how it performs, but i did order some of the 1" seatbelt polyester webbing from strapworks that alot of people here are using and found it to be quite a bit heavier at around 8-9 g/ft.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Thanks. I guess weight wise I would only be cutting an oz or so. You system looks good, just a little too busy for me. I'll have to give it a try and report back.
    Forget the green line (to hold up a bugnet), the orange line (ridgeline), and red+black line (to the hammock). That biner is grand central station. All that should matter to you is the white line between ring and biner, and if you're doing a trucker's hitch then no matter what else is going on, you're doing some back and forth. In this picture I did a lot just to take up the available cord.

As busy as it needs to be, and no more.

Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

go with the owf camo though, it is good stuff and stretches very little. i've never used the heavyweight polypro so i can't really comment on how it performs, but i did order some of the 1" seatbelt polyester webbing from strapworks that alot of people here are using and found it to be quite a bit heavier at around 8-9 g/ft.
    someone somewhere else said OWF isn't selling that anymore! I looked but didn't find it.

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    that spectra webbing is rated to 4000?# www.yatesgear.com , so it's actually not lighter. the lightest webbing i know of is the heavyweight polypro webbing which is around 5-6 g/ft, and the owf camo polyester is a very close second in weight (6.1g/ft) and more than twice as strong (2000#) and probably stretches less. there was some discussion at some point about using that stuff called mule tape that electricians pull wires through conduit with. they make different kinds, polyester, kevelar and possibly dyneema in different strengths and widths. i have a short piece that i found that looks really light and has 1200# printed on the side.

Thanks. I should add that I am alergic to camo.

Images
    Thanks. I should add that I am alergic to camo.
    yeah, it's just webbing though, not like it's a camo tarp. it looks more like brown from more than 10 feet away.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    someone somewhere else said OWF isn't selling that anymore! I looked but didn't find it.

Grizz
    yeah, i heard that too, but i called and ordered a whole bunch the other day and the person i talked to said they hadn't heard that. package arrived and it's the same stuff. hopefully it is just a rumor, probably started by those strapworks webbing fans

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast