Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Tree huggers slipping when first loaded

Hey folks,

I'm struggling with my tree huggers slipping and moving when I first put weight into my hammock. I've got both WB dynaweave becket straps and some dutch spider polypro (the white and black striped ones) and they both slip in a similar way. I typically use a ditch clip and try to aling the strap to one side of the tree just like all the videos say. I also try to give each strap a good solid pull when I first wrap it around the tree and secure it with the ditch clip but when I first get in the hammock or test it by pushing down on it the straps always seem to slide down a bit / rub against the tree. They also always slide such that the dutch clip is more in the center of the tree. For some trees this isn't a big deal but on others I'm obviously damaging the bark. What am I doing wrong? Is this normal or am I missing something/using straps that are too slippery?

Maybe the trees are too slippery...

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Maybe, but I've tried a few different kinds. Maybe I just can't pick the right trees haha. This is what my suspension looks like after I load it up. PXL_20210410_173912017.jpg as you can see in the photo the right hand side of the webbing has slipped down a few inches relative to the left hand side.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I have swapped my dutch clips out for evo loop soft links like those made by Myers or Autumn Ultralight. I did this primarily because I did not like fiddling with the clips to get them "just right" around the tree so that they hold but don't make a sharp bend on the metal clip. I use spider 1.5 (UHMWPE) straps which are super slippery and not stiff at all. Even on an easy hang with good trees the whole thing would settle in, drop down and twist on the tree turning a simple thing into an iterative process. This came to a head when I went to hang my rig off some 4" galvanized square tubing holding up a shed roof and the clip on my head end slipped, centered itself and sliced the strap on the edge of the Dutch titanium landing me on the ground.

The soft links are great and can be centered on the tree if you like as the angle no longer matters. Now I just wrap the tree, close the soft link as shown in the video and pull it tight around the tree, weight it a bit to set, tie my toggled MSH or beckett hitch to the hammock where desired and it stays in place with little or no settling when entering the hammock. No more adjusting needed.

Looks like it's slipping sideways!!!

Seriously, that looks pretty normal. As long as you're using a clip (rather than passing the end through a loop), try going around the tree twice. Less slip and even easier on the trees. Not that a single time around is hard on them.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    ry to aling the strap to one side of the tree just like all the videos say
    Listen to gooless and get some Evo loops or tie a knot (slipped buntline hitch) or use a loop in the webbing, then center them. Tying off the side of tree trunks is a royal and unnecessary PITA, and then of course you are forced to do the same with your tarp.

No sense putting up with this annoyance when a simple solution is readily available. Ditch the clips.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I second or third what cmoulder and TominMN posted.
    My suspension straps are long, with small to medium sized trees, my strap goes around tree twice. This “round turn” (going around tree twice), increases surface area contact with tree and gives more friction to resist slipping down the trunk.
    Also instead of centering the attachment point, I might go an inch or so in opposite direction. This makes the strap do a Uturn at soft shackle or evo loop.
    Both this slight off centering and the round turn, make a tremendous squeeze on the tree, not just behind tree, but all around tree.

With large diameter trees, my strap might only go around tree once. But with larger diameter, there is more surface contact area to give plenty of friction. With larger trees, I still offset the attachment point ,a couple inches, so that the strap makes a slight Uturn, choking the tree enough to hopefully prevent strap sliding sideways and or down the trunk.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >Maybe the trees are too slippery...

Slippery Elms?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >Maybe the trees are too slippery...

Slippery Elms?

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by onlysmallexplosions View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm struggling with my tree huggers slipping and moving when I first put weight into my hammock. I've got both WB dynaweave becket straps and some dutch spider polypro (the white and black striped ones) and they both slip in a similar way. I typically use a ditch clip and try to aling the strap to one side of the tree just like all the videos say. I also try to give each strap a good solid pull when I first wrap it around the tree and secure it with the ditch clip but when I first get in the hammock or test it by pushing down on it the straps always seem to slide down a bit / rub against the tree. They also always slide such that the dutch clip is more in the center of the tree. For some trees this isn't a big deal but on others I'm obviously damaging the bark. What am I doing wrong? Is this normal or am I missing something/using straps that are too slippery?
    Try a double wrap around the tree

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast