Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Force calculation for a unusual hang

So in an effort to be innovative, I am trying to solve my unique problems as a (new) hanger. My rig is for Jeep trips where no convenient anchor points are available... or only one anchor (spike) point being the Jeep if I want to render the Jeep immobile while my DN is set up.

Here is my best shot at solving this problem to date:

The only real problem is the spikes. Using any stakes I currently have=failure.

I have found some companies on the Internet that make products that might work, but I need some idea of force exerted on the spike.

I set off to try and do the math, but cannot figure it out.
    I searched hf and can't extrapolate from other threads.
    Don't have/can't borrow a scale to measure.
    I know the bipod bears weight, but I am not sure if it relieves any load from the amsteel.

Thinking the forum might enjoy a little puzzle, I decided to post. I hope this puzzle makes for a decent conversation and possibly an answer.

So the question is: Any idea what force is exerted on the spike from the rope??

btw, I do plan on a more traditional hang when possible. I have invested in whoopies and tree straps from hf vendors... great website and nice people here!!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Spreader bar. Two five foot long sectoins of fencerail. Eliminate the foces, or greatly control them at least.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR
    Without calculating the force, you can use the auger type anchors used for staking out dogs. Walmart for about $6 each. I have used them in similar circumstances and you cannot pull them out without unscrewing them from the ground. These are the type anchors utilities use to anchor guy wires for poles.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    What kind of jeep is it? Luggage rack or roll bar? I have a Liberty and have been thinking about different ways to hang two hammocks from one without use of ground stakes. I'm still testing, but if I come up with something workable, I'll let you know.

Images
    James, you can use rebar in a long length or something like this that I got from home depot.

Do a search and you will find that a couple of people are experimenting with ground anchors.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    Without calculating the force, you can use the auger type anchors used for staking out dogs. Walmart for about $6 each. I have used them in similar circumstances and you cannot pull them out without unscrewing them from the ground. These are the type anchors utilities use to anchor guy wires for poles.
    Depends on the type of ground. In Florida sandy soil, the dog stakes do come out.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    What kind of jeep is it? Luggage rack or roll bar? I have a Liberty and have been thinking about different ways to hang two hammocks from one without use of ground stakes. I'm still testing, but if I come up with something workable, I'll let you know.
    Its a 2008 Jeep Wrangler softop with front and rear recovery points and steel bumpers. (3" lift, 35" tires, rockcrawler)

Let's start a thread and discuss... conversation often yields ideas. I have a few decent ideas if you are willing to attach fixtures to the vehicle...

That is one of the types I am looking at, but a shaped steel wire will not have enough surface area to hold in loose ground or sand I think.

How hard was the ground you used this method in??

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Screwing one of these WM anchors into clay, I twisted it in half. If you have good soil and can get it in without needing to exert too much rotational force, they work well, but be warned that the metal they're made of isn't all that strong.

Try the ridgepole idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast