Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Look up the numbers on elongation of the whoopies made of Amsteel or similar. If more than a few percent, the cord has broken. And, that elongation doesn't even happen until the cord is loaded to a higher fraction of breaking strength.

Think the slings are slipping? just place a mark an inch from where it will disappear if sucked into the constrictor / sheath.

No, the elongation came elsewhere.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-16-2011 at 23:14.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird 1.7dl
    Tarp
    macCat Deluxe&wb s
    Insulation
    Stormcrow bq&tq
    Suspension
    webbing
    get a warbonnet blackbird problem will be over.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Here is my setup. I think in yesterday's hang, I only sagged an inch or two by then end of it. (In this pic, the ridgeline is eye level and I start out at chair height). After sagging down to 2" off the ground the previous day, I did adjust (shorten) the whoopies before putting it away. Then again, my husband didn't join me in the hammock yesterday, so no idea if he would have ended up 2" off the ground again.

The straps do not get taken down, so those have stayed at the same height each hang.

(Hope this picture link works)

P.S. Upgrading to a Blackbird is not an option, considering I had chosen the ENO for my birthday and my birthday was only three days ago...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Yah the span you have in the picture is way beyond optimum, and the angle of your suspension there is closer to maybe 15 degrees than 30. To help reduce the amount of drop in your hang raise the strap higher. At such a shallow hang angle you will experiance a lot more drop in the hang and you will put a lot more stress on your hammock and suspension.

Changing hammocks won't fix this, changing what your attached to and/or how your attached will.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Yah the span you have in the picture is way beyond optimum, and the angle of your suspension there is closer to maybe 15 degrees than 30. To help reduce the amount of drop in your hang raise the strap higher. At such a shallow hang angle you will experiance a lot more drop in the hang and you will put a lot more stress on your hammock and suspension.

Changing hammocks won't fix this, changing what your attached to and/or how your attached will.
    +1. What he said.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Since I can only raise one side, will that help? I can definitely put the tree strap higher on the tree end...but the deck rafter is as high as I can safely go on the other end. I don't trust the deck railing to support hanging a hammock off it.

Will skewed attachment points (one at 9 ft and the other at ~13 ft) give me other hanging problems?

Thanks for the help so far!

Hang #3 is under the belt...looking forward to hang #4 today after work! Maybe I'll give the plum tree another chance, this time going from the plum tree to the big tree. Maybe it won't flex as much with that distance.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    You can try propping a 2x4 under your suspension lines to minimize the sag. Kind of like porch mode...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
    Maybe I'll give the plum tree another chance, this time going from the plum tree to the big tree. Maybe it won't flex as much with that distance.
    You could also try to run a secondary line (opposite side from the hammock) from the plum tree out 8-10 feet to a strong stake or something to act as a stabilizer for the tree. You would need a large stake or if in line the base of the deck???

Lop-siding the hang may help some or may just shift to other "issues."
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you did raise the tree end, you can shorten the suspension on the other end and bring yourself closer to your deck. Doing this will put an imaginary attachment point beyond your deck that will be the same height as the one on the tree.

Is your SRL gving you enough of a comfortable sag? Shortening your SRL will give you more of a diagonal lay.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Oooh..good call about the reverse force rope for the plum tree. It's not exactly in line but it can be done...but dang...that means ordering more rope/webbing! Not necessarily a bad thing though.

And as for "Is your SRL gving you enough of a comfortable sag? Shortening your SRL will give you more of a diagonal lay." It did the first day, but then I played with the suspension sag whoopie during hang #2 and I think I made it too long since I couldn't get as comfy diagonally yesterday as I did the first day. I remember reading that a 1" change in the suspension sag makes a big difference. I measured out 98" the first day...but I don't know what I'm at now. It might be 101" or so.

Another question: If I were to have the ideal 15' feet between trees, would my suspension line end up being super taut as I lie in the hammock? Or just pulled just tight enough? Right now, I'm thinking it's super taut because of my current situation with too much distance between trees/too shallow a hang angle/etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast