Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Whoopies making me sag?

I am on hang #2 and I love it! However my question is: why am I sagging? I'm guessing it's because of a break-in period, but I'd like your opinion.

Set up:
    Eno DN with continuous loops and SMC descender rings + adjustable whoopie sling for suspension sag ridge line
    That is hung using 2 6ft poly tree straps, 2 climbing biners, 2 6ft whoopie slings and at one end, a length of fixed eyes Amsteel because the distance between the tree and deck post is too far for just the tree straps and whoopies. Finally a couple soft shackles too.

So when I first hung it up, everything was milked by hand. My ridge line was about eye level. When I sat in it, I ended up approx chair height. Then my 2.5 year old joined me and was of course squirming around. Then I was about 8 in off ground. Then my husband joined and things went creak. I got out and let them play...they ended up 2 in off ground by the time the 30 min was over. 150 and 180 and 30 lbs of people.

Did my set up get lower and lower because my whoopies were getting more and more tight (creating more length in whoopies) and my new Eno was breaking in (stretching)? Or am I doing something wrong?

Do you guys have to adjust whoopies a couple times during the first hour after you hang your hammock?

Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
    I am on hang #2 and I love it! However my question is: why am I sagging? I'm guessing it's because of a break-in period, but I'd like your opinion.

Set up:
    Eno DN with continuous loops and SMC descender rings + adjustable whoopie sling for suspension sag ridge line
    That is hung using 2 6ft poly tree straps, 2 climbing biners, 2 6ft whoopie slings and at one end, a length of fixed eyes Amsteel because the distance between the tree and deck post is too far for just the tree straps and whoopies. Finally a couple soft shackles too.

So when I first hung it up, everything was milked by hand. My ridge line was about eye level. When I sat in it, I ended up approx chair height. Then my 2.5 year old joined me and was of course squirming around. Then I was about 8 in off ground. Then my husband joined and things went creak. I got out and let them play...they ended up 2 in off ground by the time the 30 min was over. 150 and 180 and 30 lbs of people.

Did my set up get lower and lower because my whoopies were getting more and more tight (creating more length in whoopies) and my new Eno was breaking in (stretching)? Or am I doing something wrong?

Do you guys have to adjust whoopies a couple times during the first hour after you hang your hammock?

I think the long distance of your hang did have slack. I have done the same thing with mine. Although I never had that much weight in mine, it sagged a few times and required readjustment.

It is hard to milk the whoopies out all the way when you have a long hang as well.
    I had the same problem with a friend of mine using my loaner on my last backpacking trip. He had a 28' long hang. we couldn't milk the whoopies enough and he ended up about 6" from the ground in the morning. I think the marlin spikes had to pull tight, the whoopies had to pull tight, the ridgeline had to pull tight and the soft shackles had to pull tight, and the hammock was ripstop nylon.
    I always try to make the shortest distance to hang possible then make my 30Degrees with the ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    That kind of distance will produce large horizontal forces on the weakest link - the hammock = stretch. Everything else in your 'system' is low stretch.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    That kind of distance will produce large horizontal forces on the weakest link - the hammock = stretch. Everything else in your 'system' is low stretch.
    I agree
    Just over such a long distance, low stretch= more than desired in these cases. I have learned this lessen recently.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Hmmm...does that mean upgrading from a 6' tree strap to a 12' tree strap (or a 10 ft whoopie instead of a 6 ft whoopie) isn't going to help my situation?

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i doubt it.... long distances are out of the question for me anymore. there are just too many X - factors the produce weird "physics" that i don't want to deal with. i'm too short to get my straps high enough up a tree to even consider a hang greater than 18 - 20 ft. i've switched to 4ft whoopies and 6 ft. straps.

of course.. your limited in your backyard.. i'd suggest sinking another 4x4 into the ground, if possible, to create a better hang situation. dress it up with landscaping and flowers or something too. make it look purdy!
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It sounds like you have a lot of components going into your suspension....bits and pieces of different kinds of systems. Is that so that you can reach across the span you have to work with or another reason? How far is the strait line span from the post to the tree? And at what angle was the suspension set?

From where you said that the ridge line was at eye level then dropped to chair height when loaded it sounds like the hammock was to high and the suspension may not have been at 30 degrees when unloaded. setting the hammock up at chair height and with the suspension at 30 degrees you should not see as much "drop" once you climb in. Depending on the span you are trying to cover you may need longer straps or whoopies or extension to make the reach but the further you reach you also have to move the strap higher up the tree to keep at 30 degrees....if the span is very large that may mean you need a ladder to get high enough in the tree to get the sag right. If you can post some pics that would also help a lot to see how it hung and would aid in suggestions.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    sounds to me like you need to find a different place to hang. the more distance you have between attachment points the higher youll need to go to get that magic hang. and itll probably look like the hammock is eye level till you put weight in it.

when i first got my ENO, i figured a trick that ive been doing since with every hammock and suspension i come across. when i hang it, ill gather up the material and press my weight down onto it. it helps set the suspension and also gives you an idea where your butt will be, so you can adjust some before getting in.

advice if you do that, make sure you keep your weight on your feet more than the hammock because it can flip. ask me how i know.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Well, the distance between tree and deck post is ~25-30ft. At the deck post end, I've got the tree strap actually hanging from the deck rafter which is ~8-9 ft high. And at the tree end, the strap is also about ~9-10ft high.

So just with gravity, the suspension sag ridgeline ends up about eye-height. From the suspension sag ridgeline to the hammock...that is definitely around 30 degrees. However I don't think it's 30 degrees from the deck rafter/tree to tree strap/whoopie combo angle.

I will try to take a pic of my setup.

P.S. I tried with the closer plum tree, but it was bending, so I had to go with the larger tree further away.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The distance is definitely an issue. 15 feet is about perfect, at double that there will be more drop in the hang. Give that plum tree some miracle grow.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast