Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Louisiana checking In

Hello, Bigbaby here coming to you from southern Louisiana. Yes I know what your thinking... Did he say Louisiana? Not the most robust state for backpacking but we make do. I am new to Hammock Forums but you guys have made me feel right at home. I have posted a few questions and I was surprised at the response. I posted what was clearly a noob question but not one person made me feel like a noob. Everyone gave good feedback and did what they could to answer my question.

Years ago I was big into camping and backpacking but life got in the way and I gave it up. I have recently discovered this “activity” again and I am very excited about it.

Let me tell you about how I found backpacking and hammock camping recently. I have a high stress job. I work as a police officer in my town and I am currently assigned to the patrol division. I see death and the decay of our society everyday and it will eat away at the soul of a person. Recently I received a call of a traffic accident and that the vehicle was catching fire. I responded as quickly as possible and found a mother with two small children trapped inside. I will spare you the details but despite my and other officers efforts all three people perished in the accident. To make matters worse, the accident was caused by a drunk driver and of course he made it without so much as a scratch and to this day has no memory of the deaths he caused.

I had reached my breaking point and came home looking for answers. I had to do something to unwind and process what I had just experienced. I grabbed my sons school backpack and loaded it with water and a snickers or two and headed out. I began walking some locale small trails that wind through some national forests we have here and almost immediately began feeling better. I walked and stopped and gather in all the sights and smells the woods had to offer. At some point I came upon a campsite along one of the trails. Nobody was there so I stopped and looked around. It was great! You could see the places where people would pitch their tents and the crudely built benches, and of course the fire pit. It made me think back to the days when my dad would take me camping and when I went backpacking myself. At that point I forgot about my troubles and realized that backpacking was my release.

I left the woods and went home and pulled out my old pack, the only piece of gear I had left and realized that things have probably changed since I backpacked. I got on the computer and began researching and that is how I found hammock forums. I am very excited although I don’t have any gear to speak of. I will have to gather it slowly as funds will be short for this but I will make the best of what I got.

I hope I have not bored any of you and I thank you for any advice you guys give as I need plenty of it. Oh, and Shug, your videos are great! Whooo buddy!

Bigbaby

Welcome, from one newbie to another!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Good mornin' and welcome back to the woods!

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Welcome To Hf And HapPy Hanging.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome from Texas,
    I'm glad to hear your finding solace from what I can only imagine is an incredibly tough job. Glad you found the forums as well. I hear there are some interesting places to hike in the Kisatchie NF which I've yet to get to but looking forward to exploring sometime. Good luck!
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    When you get into the backwoods (more specifically, when you get away from what we call "civilization") you start experiencing the world as it was created for us and it brings a special peace to your soul. Welcome to HF. It is by far the best forum on the Internet.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    ENO 1xSN & 3xDN
    Tarp
    Dryfly, Noah's 9
    Insulation
    2x AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    ALL in one WS.
    Images
    Welcome to the boards from, Mobile.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Welcome from North Carolina Bigbaby! My wifes people are from the Napoleonville/ Donaldsonville area, on over through Red Stick and into Washington Parish. You ought to trying hiking or kayaking along the Bogue Chitto sometime! Nice area.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy to you)))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven