Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Lightweight Backpack

OK, I have a bunch of fabric and other supplies incoming from diygearsupply.com. I am pumped. One of the projects I am looking to try out is a backpack. My objective is to model them off the ULA or gossamer gear packs. To me, they look like they are only a large stuff sack with straps, belt, and other doodads on them to create more outer storage. Am I mistaken? I guess if you think about it thats all a toploader is.

I have a bunch of 3.8oz heavy duty treated ripstop coming in that I play to make the top half of the pack out of. The bottom portion I am looking to use black treated oxford. The straps I may make out of this same ripstop. The top loading part will be a draw string set up using shock cord. I also plan on using shock cord to make some outer compression panels and pouches.

Am I missing anything? The gossamer gear g4 looks like a good example to work off of. The design is simple and I might even jazz it up a bit.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    OK, I have a bunch of fabric and other supplies incoming from diygearsupply.com. I am pumped. One of the projects I am looking to try out is a backpack. My objective is to model them off the ULA or gossamer gear packs. To me, they look like they are only a large stuff sack with straps, belt, and other doodads on them to create more outer storage. Am I mistaken? I guess if you think about it thats all a toploader is.

I have a bunch of 3.8oz heavy duty treated ripstop coming in that I play to make the top half of the pack out of. The bottom portion I am looking to use black treated oxford. The straps I may make out of this same ripstop. The top loading part will be a draw string set up using shock cord. I also plan on using shock cord to make some outer compression panels and pouches.

Am I missing anything? The gossamer gear g4 looks like a good example to work off of. The design is simple and I might even jazz it up a bit.
    That's basically it depending on how complex you want the pack to be. You will need foam for the hipbelt & shoulder straps if you're looking to carry more than about 10 lbs. Are you going to make the side pockets out of the same ripstop? Adding a mesh front pocket?

Ryan

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I'm not done with designs, there are some things I want to change, but here's my initial prototyping dimensions, they may be useful at least to compare with.

These need instructions, and I don't have that put together yet, but if you go along with the G4 instructions, you'll get the gist of most of it.

All the pieces:
    50L Pack.jpg

Shoulder Straps:
    50L Pack - ShoulderStraps.jpg

Waistbelt:
    50L Pack - Waistbelt.jpg

Top back, shoulder strap placement:
    50L Pack - Back Panel ShoulderStraps.jpg

Where the pieces go:
    50L Pack - Illustration to Real 1.jpg
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    thanks for the hook up on the pattern!!

As for the panels, I was going to make them out of rip stop. I didn't want mesh since sometimes stuff gets stuck in the holes.

This looks very doable. I cant wait.

Diy gear supply, thanks for the affordable high quality materials! Your stuff worked great for my tarp, can't wait for my next order!

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I have recently finished a fairly light backpack out of silnylon (200g). The thread has been moved to the donating-members section but maybe a simple look at the photos gives you enough of an idea.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I made a GVP4 pack after back surgery and a move to make things as light as possible. I really enjoyed using the PTI (learning the terminology here) and have enjoyed the pack on some overnighters here in the Smokies. Yes, it's a big stuff sack and then I use a few separate stuff sacks inside to keep things organized. My favorite feature is using the pad for the back. It keeps things from poking into my back; it becomes a comfortable and dry sit pad; I fold it in two and use it as a pillow at night; I am able to kneel on it when repacking--it's a very handy piece of gear.
    Hope you enjoy your pack as much as I have mine.

By the way this is my first post. I'm still lurking and learning about hammocks right now. Probably going to take advantage of AHE's sale on suspensions and get a GTUL to get started.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    These need instructions, and I don't have that put together yet, but if you go along with the G4 instructions, you'll get the gist of most of it.
    Where are these G4 Instructions? I've been thinking about doing a pack as well, especially after seeing trinni's great little pack!

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Where are these G4 Instructions? I've been thinking about doing a pack as well, especially after seeing trinni's great little pack!
    Thanks!
    I've found the G4 pattern here. I didn't use it for my own backpack though it was a good inspiration when I first started to think about sewing my own backpack.

By the way -- there's also a yahoo group for the G4.
    Last edited by trinni; 08-17-2011 at 11:02. Reason: added yahoo group

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by trinni View Post
    Thanks!
    I've found the G4 pattern here. I didn't use it for my own backpack though it was a good inspiration when I first started to think about sewing my own backpack.

By the way -- there's also a yahoo group for the G4.
    Thanks for that! Great info!

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    get the info of this thread quick because they will move it to the donation area sooner than later. Here is my DIY backpack that is made of 1.9 ripstop and weights 12oz.

My build thread is in the donation area too...just a tube that is 32" tall and 36" diameter with pockets sewn in to fit specific gear and it has Huge straps for my shoulders.

a little lopsided but a perfect fit for my body and for my gear.
    http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...Ybackpack3.jpg
    http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...Ybackpack5.jpg
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast