WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    That 1443R stuff isn't what most people are using for tarps. Most are using type 10 (G or GX). That type 14 stuff is not as waterproof in fact it's more like good DWR and will "mist" on you in heavy rain. It better for rain gear than tarps, it breath pretty well.

Type 10GX is the lightest of the "hard" papery stuff. It weights 1.6oz/sqyd. This type of tyvek is used primarily for banner graphics.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    That 1443R stuff isn't what most people are using for tarps. Most are using type 10 (G or GX). That type 14 stuff is not as waterproof in fact it's more like good DWR and will "mist" on you in heavy rain.
    Understood, and thanks for pointing that out. Perhaps I should explain that I'm not looking for a heavy weather tarp, I'm playing with tarp designs to economically inform myself on what my tarp shape and size preferences are while also considering hammock sleeping systems. Once I have done that and decided if this is for me, I will likely pony up for a nice sil or cuben tarp or two that suit conditions at places I'm likely to go.

The tyvek I will keep for backup or more likely re-use for other purposes at that point. This is the reason I chose 1443R, costs are about the same either way for me.

Bear in mind that I live in the driest state in the driest continent on the planet. Heavy rain is not something easily found around here so I do expect to get some use out of the 1443R tarp regardless.

There is a local (Sydney) outdoor gear company making tarps from 1443R - Terrarosagear, and they say this about tyvek:

Quote Originally Posted by Terrarosagear
    After a year of rigorously testing Tyvek 1443R, I have found it to be fully functional for lightweight tarps. Although not waterproof, it is weatherproof and more than adequate for repelling even the most heavy precipation. Tyvek is a non-woven material and has slightly less tensile strength compared to sil-nylon. It gains a slight amount of weight when wet but dries exceptionally quickly. A little extra care will go a long way with this material.
    I don't think any of the tyveks are considered waterproof, but housewrap is better than 1443R.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Well, with all that in mind you should be fine. I didn't know you were an Assuie. I suppose in a desert a white tarp would have it's advantages.

Technically, most silny isn't "waterproof" it will still mist through in the worst of storms; exactly when are counting on it the most. From my experience with Tyvek outside of camping, type 10, has properties very similar to most silny.

I too am looking at different tarp sizes & cuts to find what works best for me. I've returned a few Equinox tarps to Campmor. It's looking like I'm gonna have to make my own and will probably do scale mock-ups with Tyvek.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It occurs to me that if I am happy with this tyvek tarp with doors, my first silnylon tarp should probably be minimalist like an edge or tadpole. That would give some flexibility for very few extra grams and one would complement the other when used together should I ever cop heavy rain.

This came to me while I was looking at the stacked MacCat tarps on the OES website.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Very interested in this build. Was it using "standard" house tyvek? Is the tyvek tape found in hardware stores?

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    My tarp made from house wrap from a PIF, the Tyvek brand tape was $11 from Lowes. So far haven't seen any evidence of leaking, only concern was some condensation on inner side when I set tarp very low/close to hammock, and that concern VERY insignificant to me following my experience in single man BP tents.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered end
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    Really its 110 deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Sounds great...I have got to take the time and get mine cut out and dyed up. Wife has been out of town for 4 weeks for training and this mr mom, which I am not doing a good job of, stuff is getting old.
    Lack of preparation on your part does not constitue an emergency on mine.

Not sure who said it ...but I like it

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    I almost believed I have made the decision to leave color as is.... I recently read in "The Bear Smorgasborg" book that bears shy away from extremely WHITE tarps, as they create night blindness in bear-size critters (as well as causing mice in labratory cancer)
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered end
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    Really its 110 deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I am still trying to make up my mind on what type of tarp to make...hex or one with doors.

I think I will try and go for a tiger stripe cammo when I dye it...I need to get some black and some green to go with the two shades of brown that I have already.
    Lack of preparation on your part does not constitue an emergency on mine.

Not sure who said it ...but I like it

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Does Tyvek hold paint? I'm thinking about going all Krylon on a DIY.

EDT to say: I realize there may be an issue with paint flaking or cracking from repeated stowing and unstowing, but interested none-the-less.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast