Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    DIY gathered end
    Thanks, BER! I'll keep you all posted as I get through the learning curve.

Good tip, Simon! Especially at that warehouse where things aren't very clearly marked and there's virtually no staff around to help you. Well, they help you empty your wallet but that's about it. Hee hee! Thanks for the suggestion.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    MamaLeah- welcome to the forums, from a Lino Lakes hanger, just a stone's throw from Anoka!

And.... what's the name of this fabric place you're shopping? I'm gonna visit it!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    From what I know about Goretex it is a tri-laminate fabric and needs to be sandwiched no matter what the outside laminates are so have essentially 5 layers total when used. The strength of the Goretex would be dependent on the material used to encase it. I have some Goretex garments and frankly they seem too stiff for my taste as a hammock body. That may be a function of the covering material but I would not use it. Never mind the cost.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Tarp
    DIY gathered end
    RootCause, thanks for the warm welcome, neighbor! Here's the website of that place. http://www.srharrisfabric.com/about.html I like that it's a local, family owned business and would rather pay a little more than the WM dollar table to support them. It's a funny place, easy to get lost or overwhelmed in. I asked for nylon ripstop and they pointed me to aisle 20 along the back wall. Be prepared to hunt around a bit (or a lot). The gal working didn't know what no see um netting was but suggested checking out aisle 9. I was feeling overwhelmed myself and didn't get there to see what they had. Look inside the tube rolls or on the ends of the bolts for fabric information. Sometimes it's not very detailed, sometimes it's not there at all. You cut your own and are supposed to return your bolts/rolls to the area where you dug them out from. Also, the marked price is the full price and everything is half off. Have fun if you go check it out! If you happen to notice the purplish/pinkish rolls of "gortex" in aisle 20, would you shoot me a note and let me know what you think of the material and what possibilities you see in using it? It sure is puuurdy and I'd like to make myself some girly gear for out on the trail. Hee hee! I've tossed around ideas of a pack, a tarp, rain gear, incorporated in an under pad...lots of ideas! Thanks! =)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The warehouse places I have had experience with have a nasty tendency to reuse bolts and tubes. What is labeled on the inside might not be what is on the tube or bolt. Best ask if they recycle tubes. That could save lots of frustration.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Tarp
    DIY gathered end
    Great point, Ramblinrev. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the warning! I'll be sure to ask about that next time I go.

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    SR Harris is a fun store did you notice any insulation there? Root Cause and Mama leah i am stuck some where in between yall in Circle Pines
    Last edited by ricecg; 08-18-2011 at 20:23.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Ber is right, its all conditional. I have woken up SWEATING BULLETS in a single ripstop nylon hammock. but RamblinRev also has a good point that GorTex is really stiff compared to other commonly used fabrics. This would make for a pretty hard stuffing in a sack and pretty awkward feel laying in it. you could do like stated earlier by making one inner layer ripstop and one outside layer gortext. Would let you use it on the ground if all hell breaks loose and you manage to go to a treeless forest.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Tarp
    DIY gathered end
    Ricecg, I didn't notice any but I was also buried in aisle 20 trying to figure out what could work and thinking hard about that pretty gortex material. Also, when you say insulation, do you mean batting or something else? I think I'm making another run this weekend and I'd be happy to look and save you a trip if they don't have what you want right now.

JPsax, I am thinking along those lines but I want to get my bug netting and tarp squared away before I get wrapped up in thoughts of under quilts, etc. (Pun not intended!) Plus, I have to get a second system ready so my son and I can get out there together. We've winter camped but I'm a little nervous to experiment with hanging once the temps start getting below 40 this fall. With school season on the horizon I'm getting a little nervous about my timeline as well. As for going to ground, all I can say is...Eeeks!

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Hancock near Northtown had some halloween mesh in the discount rake...$1 a yard sad thing it is only 48" wide, Backwood Daydreamer has the mesh at 60"
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast