Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    DIY gathered end

Can I use gortex for my hammock?

I was unable to find any silnylon in the masses of rolls and bolts of material at the big fabric warehouse near my home. I found some ripstop fabric (I assume it's not treated since it wasn't marked as such...?) but I also found some gortex and I got to wondering if that would be suitable for my first try at making my own hammock. Thoughts, suggestions, cautionary tales, and tips are all welcome. I'm still think, think, thinking about design...what to copy, what to tweak, what to invent. I thought I'd keep thinking and run it by you experienced hangers and hammock creators before purchasing the fabric. Thanks much!

Leah =)

Ps. If the gortex is a bad idea, can I use the untreated ripstop? Or, should I just shop somewhere else and get the silnylon ripstop that I've been reading about?
    Last edited by MamaLeah; 08-19-2011 at 11:12.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HAMMOCKgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Goretex is an insulation that has to be put between layers to protect it and usually quite expensive. You sure it was for real Goretex?

You actually don't want silnylon for a hammock. It doesn't breath and you'll wake up in a puddle. Untreated is exactly what you're looking for.

Tarp
    DIY gathered end
    This fabric warehouse is kind of a funky place. It's huge, kind of messy, floor to ceiling fabric on bolts and rolls. JoAnn's it ain't! The roll I found was labeled gortex but, honestly, I'm so green, I wouldn't know the real deal just by looking at it. I'm also not sure what would be considered expensive but this stuff was marked at $12 per yard. Everything is half off the marked price so I'd get it for $6.

I'm embarrassed to admit it but...I'd rather go with the gortex because I like the color better than the few ripstop options there. On the other hand, I'd rather have a less pleasing color but avoid a rude awakening, on the ground in the middle of the night, looking up at my very pretty, but shredded, gortex hammock! Ya know?

Thanks for the clarification on the silnylon being for tarps and NOT hammocks! I didn't catch that important detail. I did purchase the untreated (I assume it's untreated because it was just marked as ripstop) thinking that I could use it if I can't use the gortex and if I can use it, the ripstop could be used for making my son's gear when I figure out what in the world I'm doing. =)

Thanks so much for the hand holding! I'm very appreciative of your time and help!
    Last edited by MamaLeah; 08-17-2011 at 08:41.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Goretex is a barrier membrane that passes water vapor but blocks liquid water. It has to be laminated to a cloth backing for strength. There are a lot of possible backing materials. It would make a very expensive hammock that would not work well. You want something breathable for the body.

Hammock
    My own
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    unkown
    Suspension
    whoopi
    Umm what if you made a double layer? With the goretex on the out side and the ripstop on the inside. Make it were it has some space in-between the layers. It would not be UL, but would work good for car camping when expecting rain. I don't think this would be a good starter project. You did get me thinking, I might try this idea. That's if I can find goretex for 6 bucks a yard.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    You don't want to use silnylon for the hammock body. Its a vapor barrier, so you will drastically increase your chances of waking up sweaty or cold and clammy. Go with the untreated ripstop. It's breathable.

You can use silnylon as an outer covering for weather protection. Checkout 2QzQ's Protector.

As Northermark stated, Gore-Tex is a family of laminated fabrics all of which have a common waterproof breathable membrane laminated in between two layers of other fabric. The inner and outer laminates may vary depending on the intended use of the fabric.

It seems to me that many people dismiss non-breathable fabrics out of hand as being a no-no for hammocks as you might "wake up in a puddle". But there are many variables that are going to affect this (ambient temperature, humidity, wind, your insulation level, and your own propensity to sweat--just to name a few). Many folks use pads either in their hammock or between layers, effectively making their hammocks non-breathable. There are a couple people using cuben hammocks, which is definitely non-breathable. So Gore-Tex might not be ideal during hot, humid, low wind weather or if you are over insulated. It might be just fine in other conditions.

Just as a comparison, I have woken sweaty and moist in single layer nylon ripstop hammock. It all just depends on the conditions.

I say, go for it. I expect Gore-Tex "should be" plenty strong. It is somewhat breathable. If it is available, feels good in the hand, a color you prefer, and is not prohibitively expensive for you, why not try it out. Let us know how it works for you.

Tarp
    DIY gathered end
    Wow! Lot's of good stuff to think about. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I'm thinking I'll hold off on using the gortex for this first project. I am curious about it and it sounds like $6 a yard is a good price so I think I'll buy it and squirrel it away to tinker with in the future.

Arok, you've got me thinking about the double layer thing. I wonder if I had an outer gortex layer, maybe used in tandem with an under quilt, if it would help me to stay toasty in cold conditions. We're pretty excited to try some multi-day and thru hiking so eventually UL will be appealing.

Aven, I'll look for that. I'm still wondering if I could incorporate the gortex but will see what 2QzQ has set up and keep thinking on it.

BER, I'm not especially prone to sweating but I AM prone to getting chilled and I definitely have a hard time getting and keeping my feet warm in the night. (Keep in mind, we live in Minnesota and my son and I have comfortably car camped in 17 below temps with our subzero bags and a $45 Wal-Mart tent on several occasions, so we're pretty hearty folk.) I'm nervous about the "should be" plenty strong thing. Hee hee! I'll definitely post my efforts for critique and suggestions as I tinker and get my own system fine-tuned. Well...tuned. Let me focus on getting it tuned first. =)
    Last edited by MamaLeah; 08-17-2011 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLeah View Post
    BER, I'm not especially prone to sweating but I AM prone to getting chilled and I definitely have a hard time getting and keeping my feet warm in the night. (Keep in mind, we live in Minnesota and my son and I have comfortably car camped in 17 below temps with our subzero bags and a $45 Wal-Mart tent on several occasions, so we're pretty hearty folk.) I'm nervous about the "should be" plenty strong thing. Hee hee! I'll definitely post my efforts for critique and suggestions as I tinker and get my own system fine-tuned. Well...tuned. Let me focus on getting it tuned first. =)
    ML~
    I said "should be" plenty strong because I don't know what the inner and outer laminates of the Gore-Tex are for the piece available at your fabric store. Gore-Tex Paclite is pretty thin but still thicker than 1.1oz ripstop. Other Gore-Tex I have had as garments is definitely beefier. I think it would be a non-issue, but not being the one with eyes or fingers on the product, I have to put the qualifier in there. Gore-Tex will definitely be more wind resistant than standard ripstop nylon, which might be of benefit in your colder camping.
    Just some further thoughts. Good luck with your project!

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    If you hold up suspect fabric and blow through it with your hand on the other side it should give you a clue as to whether it's treated or not as you won't feel your breath with nylon that's been coated with silicon for example.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast