WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Summer Phoenix + Jarbridge = winter quilt temp rating?

Just wondering whether stacking these two might get me down to the 0 (F) temp range. I'm always looking for versatility, and with three kids in college, have a true need to economize... I'm a warm sleeper, no problems with the summer Phoenix + 2QZQ UQ protector into the 40's with light clothing and a fleece cap. I'm a fan of down, but the current sale on the Jarbridge has me wondering whether this system might give me the biggest bang for my buck.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings

Stacking of the 2 underquilts will definitely allow for use in lower temperatures. As for it getting to 0F, it's hard to know unless you try (in your backyard testing lab) before heading out into the woods for real. I'd say you should be able to easily get to the 15-20F range (the jarbridge is rated to 30F as it is)

I would place the jarbridge on the inside as it is a little longer and it's synthetic. The Phoenix with it's differential cut and being a little shorter won't be bothered by being compressed by another quilt on its outside. The trick is going to be adjusting the suspensions so that the inner quilt is not compressed too much.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I asked Randy at Gargoyle Gear this question a couple of days ago. He then did a little experiment with a couple of Gar-Quilts with some pretty good results. You might shhot him a PM or email and see what he has to say.

Convinced me to the point that I ordered one.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Greetings

Stacking of the 2 underquilts will definitely allow for use in lower temperatures. As for it getting to 0F, it's hard to know unless you try (in your backyard testing lab) before heading out into the woods for real. I'd say you should be able to easily get to the 15-20F range (the jarbridge is rated to 30F as it is)

I would place the jarbridge on the inside as it is a little longer and it's synthetic. The Phoenix with it's differential cut and being a little shorter won't be bothered by being compressed by another quilt on its outside. The trick is going to be adjusting the suspensions so that the inner quilt is not much.

Brian
    Yes, this is what I was thinking. I'm looking forward to playing around with the combination - ideally I would end up with a summer quilt, a three season quilt that will do me for spring, fall, and summer hikes when I know the weather may be wet for an extended time, and by combining the two, something I can use into the winter. Weight is an issue for me as I backpack more than car camp at this point, but it's all about compromise right now.

• + New Posts