Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

walking poles and an UQ?

I went up to Grand Lake, Co last weekend and I was excited to see just how cold it was in the beginning of August. This is the area and altitude (9000ft++) I will be hiking and camping in.

So it gets down in the low 40's and it was chilly after about 6pm. I decided after the first night sleeping in the cabin with the windows open that an UQ was a for sure need to have item to hammock camp up here.

I then went on a long hike while my wife went for a run with her father. The Pine Beetles are devastating this area of the mountains and after 10 minutes of climbing over fallen trees and seeing how slick it all was I made a set of walking sticks and used them for the next 2 hours...I loved them!! Even at 22oz each pole they really helped me get around the dead trees laying everywhere and up and down steep areas....I guess I got to buy a nice pair of poles now?

Here is Grand Lake from our cabin and what I was hiking through.

Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    Wow thanks for the photo's did not know the bugs where doing that much damage. Wow!

Images
    Hi Vinny, Sounds like you had a great time up in the Mtns.
    An UQ is highly recommended for Colorado no matter what the season.
    This time of year I love my hammockgear.com 3/4 summer UQ.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    Speer/thermarest
    Suspension
    whoopie
    the pine bettles are about that bad in parts of south alabama. did the walking sticks really help that much I have been thinking hard about buying some trek poles for a long time but didn't know if they were worth the money???

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images

Smile Sticks, UQ.

Trekking poles are an essential part of my gear. Even on a perfectly smooth, level trail, they reduce the load and impact on one's feet and legs. (Some studies found as much as a 20-lb. reduction in average pressure on the soles of the feet.)

When the footing gets steep, loose, slippery, and/or uneven, the poles are worth their weight in gold---especially when fording streams.

Trekking poles are worth it for the additional safety they provide, if for no other reason.

The UQ is likewise indispensable in all but the balmiest weather. Well, OK, maybe you would not need one if you had a sleeping pad.

All of the foregoing is, of course, my humble opinion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I've only visited CO once but after seeing your pictures man do I want to go back and visit. As for Hiking poles I love my Black Diamond Cork Flip Locks. I never go on a hike without them and they have saved me more then once. With out then I swear I'd be injured after the first mile of the hike. They really help keep my balance and have prevented me from taking some nasty spills.

As for bottom insulation, you could use a Pad, Synthetic UQ or Down UQ. all three have their advantages and disadvantages. If you already have decided on an UQ may I suggest the Hammock Gear 40 degree incubator (full length) or Phoenix (3/4 length). It's rated down to 40 but has taken other down to freezing but that's pushing it's limits. But their are so many options for UQ's in all different shapes and sizes. Do some research, ask lots of questions and figure out which one fits your hiking needs the best.

Good Luck and thanks for the pictures.

LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I use the walmart Outdoor Products Flip-lock hiking poles. Great price and just finished a 40+ km weekend with no troubles.

As for UQ, Paul over at Arrowhead Equipment has a synthetic 3-season Jarbridge on sale right now for $80.00. worth a look in my opinion.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Thanks guys...I have found a pair of carbon ski poles that are the perfect size for me. They don't collapse but they are light and strong, I will use them on my first hike coming soon and see if they work. I am only worried about them not collapsing and where do I put them when I don't want to use them...but for $2 I am willing to try.

The UQ I will be making is the IX one in the sticky section of the DIY forums. I will be doing a 2 layer with a third layer add in I can bring depending on the season.

Vince
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    You can find some cheaper poles for around $10, or some used ski poles for even cheaper. Sure they are heavy and don't collapse, but it would give you a good idea of how to use poles and if you'll like them for not much cash outlay. Personally, Ive found that the collapsible poles tend to collapse if they get wet or muddy. Newer technologies might solve this issue. Mine were the ones where you had to twist the pole to the right to tighten some internal screw to "lock" it in place.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    These are lighter than carbon fibre poles, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erHUhzkFWNE

Plus you don't cry when (not if) you slip and break them

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast