Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pad question, can't afford an underquilt

I just bought a warbonnet blackbird hammock (single) and I can't afford the underquilt because I still have to get a tarp. So I am thinking of buing the 1/4" pad from Gossamer Gear which is light and 30 bucks. Any advice, will it work in 30 degree temps?

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I too have a 1/4" that GG sales, but in the past I used it for the feet area. Not sure how low it will take you. I do have several friends that use 25" wide Thermarest Ridgerest and I know they have been around 23F with no issues.

Images
    The 1/4" pad won't quite work for 30F. It's not that wide, as is the GG 1/2 pad or the one Jacks R Better sells. Laying in your hammock you will touch the side and with out this protection you will be cold, especially at 30F.

I am a warm sleeper. I've used the 1/4" pad with a IX Baby Orca UQ (tttreegear.com) down to the low 40s no problem. Most won't get that much warmth from it.

If you go with the wider, 1/2" pad, you may get down to some fairly low temps. I have the JRB pad, but use it for my foot box area. Not sure how low it would go by itself under my torso. I doubt much lower than 40F though. Some backyard testing may be in order, once the weather cools.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    The 1/4" pad won't quite work for 30F. It's not that wide, as is the GG 1/2 pad or the one Jacks R Better sells. Laying in your hammock you will touch the side and with out this protection you will be cold, especially at 30F.

I am a warm sleeper. I've used the 1/4" pad with a IX Baby Orca UQ (tttreegear.com) down to the low 40s no problem. Most won't get that much warmth from it.

If you go with the wider, 1/2" pad, you may get down to some fairly low temps. I have the JRB pad, but use it for my foot box area. Not sure how low it would go by itself under my torso. I doubt much lower than 40F though. Some backyard testing may be in order, once the weather cools.
    From GG website:
    39 x 59 x 1/4 in. ( 99 x 150 x 0.64 cm.)

More than wide enough in my DIY or Hennesy. I need to clip corners near my head if I decide to use it. (I bought it recently and have not decided yet.)

If I use mine I will put a pad cover on it. Fleece on one side and light nylon on the other. Sleep on the fleece side with sleeping bag or top quilt pulled over. Add a space blanket under the pad if still cold.

I usually sleep in shorts or underwear. If it's that cold long wool or polypro heavyweight for sleeping if needed.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Second thought, if you want to play with a cover you can do more with a couple of Walmart blue ccf pads as insulation and multilayer as required for about the same cost as the plain GG pad. I bought my pad before I heard of UQ's. I also plan on mostly canoeing so wet is an issue. It tends to rain a lot in canoe country. ;-)

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    you can buy the 10 dollar walmart blue ccf pad . maybe 2 of them and you can make the pad wider so it will cover your entire body. also you can make a poncho liner UQ to use with it and that should get you down to the temps your needing to get to here in SC
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    From GG website:
    39 x 59 x 1/4 in. ( 99 x 150 x 0.64 cm.)

More than wide enough in my DIY or Hennesy. I need to clip corners near my head if I decide to use it. (I bought it recently and have not decided yet.)

If I use mine I will put a pad cover on it. Fleece on one side and light nylon on the other. Sleep on the fleece side with sleeping bag or top quilt pulled over. Add a space blanket under the pad if still cold.

I usually sleep in shorts or underwear. If it's that cold long wool or polypro heavyweight for sleeping if needed.
    I was getting the 1/4" mixed up with the 1/8". sorry. 1/4" is wide enough, still not warm enough by itself to get you down to 30F. Adding the fleece will surely help.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    I use a WalMart blue pad, cut in half, and laid side by side overlapped to give ca. 30" width torso pad. With a 20 deg bag used as a quilt, feet inside the foot box, I have slept warmly down to 40 deg I was wearing ski pants and a down sweater and watch cap. Woke up feeling too hot in the middle of the night. Picture shows the two pieces tied together with a couple of pieces of string. . I would expect it to be comfortable to freezing at least. second oicture shows it rolled for transport. Weighs 12 oz and straps to outside of pack. Good weight for backpacking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You guys are awesome! I think I've got it figured out!

There are many posts in this forum, many of them mine, about pads and comfortable temp ranges. As we see above, pads are just one part of a system and each system works differently for each hanger.

For example, my system incorporates an older model, ¼" Oware pad and, for me, the system is good to the mid-, maybe low-, 20's. From my own post in the "which width is wonderful" thread, Pads sub-forum:

"Sleep systems and the performance of their individual parts are highly individual and highly matched to the regions/climates where they're to be used and the conditions to be faced. Further, change one part and the relative performance of the others change. Posters and responders need to always keep that in mind."

FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast