Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HELP! Newbie can't get comfortable:((

I've been doing my due diligence on this awesome site, and on paper at least, I'm totally hooked! I'm 41, have old back injuries, and absolutely dread sleeping on the ground...so much so that I've actually avoided camping on occasion and just day hiked instead. I have a WBBB on the way, and in the meantime bought a hammock stand along with a Trek Light Double Hammock, which I received yesterday. I figured it could be my "Lay-around-like-a-bum" Hammock for inside when I'm not worried about bugs. So last night I gave hammock sleeping my first whirl, and had terrible results. The good part is that when I stood up out of the hammock, my back didn't bother me for a minute or two as is typical when I get out of my bed. That didn't surprise me though, as I've heard that benefit mentioned oodles of times on here and other sites. Now for the bad part. Despite being able to lay asymmetrically and nearly flat, there always seemed to be a tight area of fabric that would make a lower leg fall asleep! I flopped and flailed, and the same thing kept happening. I finally got so irked that I slept in bed for awhile and then decided to give the hammock another try later in the night. Same lousy results. I REALLY want to like this hammock gig, but not sure how to remedy this. Did some of you "converts" struggle with this initially too and find a solution? I know someone will tell me to put a pillow or something down there, but I just don't really want to have to add yet another something to my gear list. Oh and boy did I find out what you guys meant about the air circulating beneath you leading to cold sleeping. Apparently I'm a cold sleeper, because the thermostat said 75F, and I was still cold despite the fleece blanket on top of me. I'm not concerned at all about that though, because I know a nice UQ will solve it. I got up so darn mad this morning though that I was ready to say the heck with this hammock crap.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A big thing to consider is the angle of your hang, and how that affects the "gathered" material of your hammock. I would sugest taking it outside and trying severl different sets of trees and playing around with angles that your suspension makes to the connection point. On a hammock stand you're pretty much stuck with one angle and that might be whats causing the pressure. Hope this helps.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Yeah, Bagboy, you really lose alot of body heat on the underside when there's no insulation. It's like floating in mid-air--something over the top just isn't enough usually.

As for getting comfortable: keep at it. I suspect you'll just about be dialed in when the Warbonnet arrives and after that it'll be "TA DAAAA!!!" I find that getting comfortable really boils down to "fabric management". If my knees are pulled up too close to my chest (I'm strictly a side-sleeper) then I have to wriggle more fabric between my knees and my chest. If my elbow is hanging too low on the edge, I need to force more fabric to the outside of my elbow to "tighten" up the hammock under that area. I bet you dollars to doughnuts, you'll figure it out. And your back will thank you!! Hang in there! and keep us posted!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I find the WB feels a little different than parachute nylon hammocks.

When you get the WB, make sure you raise the foot end higher than the head end and make sure you lie a little closer to the shelf and closer to the head end.

The calf ridge is a common problem and these suggestions may help but inevitably you may have to use something under your calf. It doesn't take much and you could use something you have with you like folded up clothes and such. Good luck getting comfy with your BB when you get it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    A big thing to consider is the angle of your hang, and how that affects the "gathered" material of your hammock. I would sugest taking it outside and trying severl different sets of trees and playing around with angles that your suspension makes to the connection point. On a hammock stand you're pretty much stuck with one angle and that might be whats causing the pressure. Hope this helps.
    I, too, am thinking the suspension angle is an issue. Hammock stand may not high enough to permit a "proper" 30 degree hang angle. Hard to tell without pictures! Learning get the angle of the dangle dialed in is important and not as easy as it looks in pictures.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    What hammock stand did you get and is it adjustable?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    I'm on board with the idea that it could be your hang angle. I'm still messing with my WBBB to get it just right. It's getting pretty close but I still have a little calf ridge.

Here's a trick to find that 30 degree angle. Hold your thumb and first finger in an el or gun shape. With your finger horizontal and thumb pointing up the line between the tip of the thumb and finger will be really close to 30 degrees from horizontal. You can easily use that to gauge your hammock suspension angle.

Wow, you guys are awesome! Appreciate all the speedy replies! Okay, my hammock stand is a Vivere Adjustable that is supposed to accomodate 9-13 foot hammocks. The Trek Light Double Hammock is supposed to be 10 ft long. In one photo, you can see where I adjusted it so the foot was a little higher than the head, although a couple of inches of fabric at the foot end got "eaten" up in the process. I wish the entire stand was a bit longer. That said, however, you can see in the other photo that the hammock (if I'm measuring the correct angle) is greater than 30 degrees but less than 45. My main concern is making sure it's not LESS than 30 degrees I'm guessing???? I just did a little experiment and used a timer to see how long it took for my left foot to start going numb - 25 minutes. Ahhhh the silly experiments people do, huh? Haha. I did try frog-legging the left leg and placing the sole of my foot in a fabric crease closer to centerline and at about the level of my right calf, and that seemed to work pretty good. I also tried frogging both legs for a few minutes, and that felt okay as well. I'm wondering if a quilt will adequately cover me if I'm doing the Double Frog thing. I'm going to give it another whirl tonight!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    Nice level! Is there an ultralight version for backpackers?

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Sounds like you're getting in some good experimentation now that you're not sleepy and frustrated. Believe me I know what that's like.

You'll be amazed what a small adjustment can do for you. I was recently aggravated with a newly built extra long diy, had been laying in it like I'm used to with others, but couldn't get rid of the middle ridge. Then I reached over my head and grabbed a hunk of hammock and hoisted myself about 6 inches further toward the head end and it all but went away. Takes patience and experimentation.

Also, the frog leg works best for me if I raise my right knee or "outside knee", (I sleep with my feet right of center.) Just enough so that my foot is about at the level of my other knee eliminates the ridge for me.

I have back problems too so I sympathize. Keep at it! Half hour, then an hour then three. You'll get there and be glad you did. I did.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast