Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

Talking logging on the Old Loggers Path!

hi hammock friends!

This past weekend, my friend Janine and i hiked counter-clockwise on the Old Loggers Path, a 28 mile trail in Loyalsock State Forest, PA. we had a swell time!

things started off with a few kerfuffles; while driving to the trailhead on Pleasant Stream road, a fairly large tree was down and there was no way to move or drive over it. filled with "can-do" attitude, we took turns sawing with a pruning saw i had in my Element and using rocks and a limb for leverage. we thought it was pretty ingenious...
    so after AN HOUR of tenacious sawing, Janine went postal on the log and finally ripped it in two!
    feeling pretty proud, we were on our way... that is, until a mile up the road, it was completely blocked by cement barriers and CLOSED!! arrgh!!!

all we could do was laugh (maniacally) and turn around. thanks to Janine's map reading skills, we circumvented the area and arrived at Masten in about 45 minutes. as we were talking to a man and his son who had just finished the hike, i had one of my dang tachycardia heart episodes! (they are very infrequent - it is called non-sinus tachycardia. not life-threatening but it feels awful! my heart will race at 220 BPM) man, this trip was not starting too well!

soon my happy heart settled back down and we were ready to roll.
    we had expected to be hiking by 11:00 but we didn't get on the trail until 1:30!

but the rest of the trip was absolutely sublime! about 7 miles friday, 14 saturday with just light rain, and finished the hike with a quick 7 back to the car.
    just as we were putting on some dry shoes - the heavy rain came! luck smiled upon the two intrepid travelers; must have been pay-back for the tree

we are going to try and lighten Janine's pack load, i carried 19 lbs with total food and water. Janine must have had around 35!
    well, you know who the stronger person is!! Janine is a stud! "it was a Fitness-Pallooza!" as she would say.

since it was a rainy weekend, the eastern red efts loved it! we lost count at seeing over 35 of the incredible little creatures.

the only thing that we didn't like were the sights and sounds of fracking. the helicopter noise was disturbing at best and seeing spray paint and pink tags all over our beautiful state forest was disheartening...but mineral rights are for a different forum.

the pictures are terrible from my phone - but i know if there are no pics it never happened

thank you for reading!

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...813_090415.jpg
    http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...812_120620.jpg

all pics:
    http://s489.photobucket.com/albums/r...t%2012%202011/
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl /traveler 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    camo superfly/ BMJ
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Thanks for the ride, great picks. That fracking is bad juju!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I love Hike Reports-But then again I hate em!! It's like a two edge sword--Every time I read a great report I'm happy and sad at the same time-Both envious and jealous cause---- I can't be on every hike!!!
    You did it again!!! Making me happy and sad at the same time with these great reports!!
    TTFN
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Images
    Despite the industrious start, sounds like and awesome trip. Always good to get out for a bit, especially with a friend!

Looking forward to your next adventure!!

Images
    Great Report loved the picts.
    You two will never forget that trip thanks to that log in the road.
    thanks for sharing your story

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    Oh yeah, i love those cement road blocks. We go up to Ralston now and up over the backside, i guess it's the back side.

The trail is about 20 minutes from my house, lots of places to do overnights. If you ever plan on doing at again, let me know and i'll try and join.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    question: Because of the "mining" that is going on, is it still worth it? Looking to do a short hike in the next couple weeks.

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    You are looking alot more ultralight these days SBD I know it takes alot of planning and money to get to UL status, but i bet you felt the benefits on this trip!
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Seems like a nice trip. The beginning just makes you appreciate the rest more! Now you know where the trail gets its name. Better take a bigger saw next time.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Others View Post
    Thanks for the ride, great picks. That fracking is bad juju!
    Others, i know. i'm writing letters to my representatives for what it's worth.
    thanks for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    I love Hike Reports-But then again I hate em!! It's like a two edge sword--Every time I read a great report I'm happy and sad at the same time-Both envious and jealous cause---- I can't be on every hike!!!
    You did it again!!! Making me happy and sad at the same time with these great reports!!
    TTFN
    ta ta for now MML - i miss your zany humor! i hope i get to see you before the fall MAHHA!! keep me posted on the new puppies!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    Despite the industrious start, sounds like and awesome trip. Always good to get out for a bit, especially with a friend!

Looking forward to your next adventure!!
    Joe, SO true - it was a great trip! good vibes! Janine is a dependable friend.
    hope to see you on the trail soon Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Great Report loved the picts.
    You two will never forget that trip thanks to that log in the road.
    thanks for sharing your story
    Outandback - we will NEVER forget that log! lol! thanks for the kind reply!

Quote Originally Posted by smitty7997 View Post
    Oh yeah, i love those cement road blocks. We go up to Ralston now and up over the backside, i guess it's the back side.

The trail is about 20 minutes from my house, lots of places to do overnights. If you ever plan on doing at again, let me know and i'll try and join.
    smitty we will definitely let you know! you can give us the beta on different locations. how nice that you live so close to such a wonderful forest! we might be going to Black Forest Trail soon! thanks Smitty!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Vagabond View Post
    question: Because of the "mining" that is going on, is it still worth it? Looking to do a short hike in the next couple weeks.
    Bill, definitely go! we went counter-clockwise the way the map shows - we passed 5 groups all going clock-wise. all i know is that those folks were all worried about getting a good campsite! lol! we loved the OLP, put it on your list! hope to hike with you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by finskie View Post
    You are looking alot more ultralight these days SBD I know it takes alot of planning and money to get to UL status, but i bet you felt the benefits on this trip!
    hey Finskie! i felt like i could run with that pack! (i didn't because my foot is actually still broken!) yep - cuben fiber has lightened my wallet too! LOL
    thanks for all of your help Fin! love your vids!

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Seems like a nice trip. The beginning just makes you appreciate the rest more! Now you know where the trail gets its name. Better take a bigger saw next time.
    thanks Jay, definitely had to replace the pruning saw - but it was worth every bit of the $3.98 i spent on it
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast