Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hi all, I used to have problems with side zippers but recently bought one of the Woodlore sleeping bags (The Osprey) from the Ray Mears site in the UK. I have used it twice since getting it and I found it very easy to access and manage in the HH as it has a central zip. While the bag is a bit on the heavy size at 2kg it is an excellent 3 season bag, much more comfortable than my Marmot Pounder Plus. Here is the link: Woodlore Sleeping Bag - Osprey, Sleeping Out

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Weird Idea for Sleeping Bag entry

Weird idea, but how about sewing a mated zipper inside your hammock, and zipping your bag/top quilt directly to the hammock? If you have a UQ, it would essentially create something similar to the peapod, except part of the pod is inside your bug net and part is outside. If you have a top loader, you could just partially zip back the bag and roll it towards your feet, and climb on in, then zip up. It would be a little more complicated for the birth canal in an HH, but not overly so. You'd just have to leave enough head room for backing in. That would solve all the problems of bag slippage, finding the zipper, shifting the bag, etc....

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Are you zipping it up or going quilt style?
    It isn't rocket science as you have attested to but seems some don't appreciate the "squirm" factor! Just gets you warmer quicker.
    Glad your hanging is going good.
    Shug of the Squirm
    I’ve both zipped and gone quilt style. There is some squirm factor, but you’d have a little of that using a sleeping bag in a regular bed.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I’ve both zipped and gone quilt style. There is some squirm factor, but you’d have a little of that using a sleeping bag in a regular bed.

Difficulty also varies with the hammock and amount of sag and practice. Most difficult is my HH ( unless I get mostly in before hammock entry, that makes it easy with any of them). Easier is my Speer, easiest is my Claytor.

At first, in my HH, I simply could not get in other than quilt style. Now, depending on some variables, I can be in with hood and neck collar zipped up in from 30 secs to 2 minutes. And for me, every time I am even close to the bag temp rating, that is always SO MUCH WARMER than trying to use any of those mummy bags quilt style. ( I still don't yet have a quilt) But some practice helps, or sure. The main trick for me( for getting in the bag once in the hammock) seems to be sitting in the bag and putting my feet and legs in the right distance, smoothing the bags inner surface out. Then I just reach back and pull the hood up over my head while still sitting, and zip up as much as I can, usually to the chest area. Then lay down and make a few final adjustments and zip up all the way if needed. Or, leave it partly unzipped enough to just put one arm or elbow out , but with the hood still over my head and the neck collar sealed. This can make all the difference in staying warm, compared to trying to use a mummy bag as a quilt. At least in my experience. Of course an actual quilt with a separate hood or thick balaclava, might work better than trying to use a mummy bag as quilt.

But still, it is really hard to beat the heat retaining efficiency of a 3" thick hood and neck collar surrounding every bit of your head except your nose/mouth and blocking all drafts. Also, I think the somewhat mummy like aspects of the PeaPod is one reason it works so well, especially considering how big of a bag it is. Depending on how much breathing hole you allow yourself, you are more or less sealed in a mummy bag head to toe. And if you have some sort of summer weight top quilt or bag or thick jacket, it works like a neck collar. So that there is very little heat loss from draft when you move around. Or, if you close it up all the way, zero loss.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-16-2008 at 21:33.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I use a Big Agnes Mystic long, left zip. I just get in it like you'd get into bed -- unzip the bag and roll it off the pad, sit down on the pad and rotate as you lie back, pull the top of the bag back over. Then I zip up as much or as little as the temperatures require, roll over and go to sleep. Easy, and the pad doesn't squirm around no matter what hammock I'm in. One of my better investments.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    I use a Big Agnes Mystic long, left zip. I just get in it like you'd get into bed -- unzip the bag and roll it off the pad, sit down on the pad and rotate as you lie back, pull the top of the bag back over. Then I zip up as much or as little as the temperatures require, roll over and go to sleep. Easy, and the pad doesn't squirm around no matter what hammock I'm in. One of my better investments.
    If I had it to do over again, I probably would have given a Big Agnes a go at the beginning.

Hammock
    Henessy a-sym
    Tarp
    rectangular
    Insulation
    yellow Foam
    Suspension
    Tie to tree?
    There are sleeping bags with a zipper down the front instead of the side. These work awesome in hammocks, kind of like getting in on a sleeping pad or blanket, then bringing the edges in and zipping up.

Examples:
    http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html
    http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/oth...s/alpinist.htm
    Last edited by silver_pages; 04-24-2009 at 12:25.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_pages View Post
    There are sleeping bags with a zipper down the front instead of the side. These work awesome in hammocks, kind of like getting in on a sleeping pad or blanket, then bringing the edges in and zipping up.
    Link please link! Now you got me googleing like crazy!
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolombianito View Post
    Link please link! Now you got me googleing like crazy!
    There are several out there, just do a google search for "top zip sleeping bag". The GoLite Adrenaline Series bags are a partial top zip.
    Trust nobody!

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    Would be cool if we could make a list of such bags that are available.
    Feathered Friends Rock Wren
    Feathered Friends Winter Wren
    Exped Wallcreeper
    Speer Frog sac
    Golite Adrenaline

Anyone know any more ?
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast