Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Xring,
    From one draftsman to another, would you give a recommendation of what you think the dimensions should be once you've got the hammock done to your satisfaction? I've got all of my material ready for my first try at making my own.
    I can't wait to get started. I'm watching Ramblnrev's youtube videos and will probably have a go at playing with the thread injector tonight. Wish me luck.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Perrito,

Are you looking for the hammock dims or for the bug net? For the hammock in my first post I attached my layout. This is what I used. Although I think I would change the 6" dim to 19" and the 44" dim to 57" to get the foot box side to fit the length of the body better. But what I used did work the way it is payed out.

For the bug net I won't know totally if my layout worked until I pin the bug net on to the hammock tonight and sew it on.

TheXringHunt

P.S. This project has sure gotten my designing mind spinning from the beginning which stared over a year ago. Hmmm.... I wonder if there is a new hammock design ready to pop out.

TheXringHunt, you used the above dimensions with a 10 foot bed right? I've cut my box using the same dimensions, but I'm going to add all the "extra" material to the shelf. And my dl bed is 11 feet long.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Skinkypete,

Yes the the dimensions that I have given is all for a 10' body length because that is what I am working with right now. From my fist post I gave the dims of the way I cut the hammock out and the foot box side. After putting it together only change I would do is make the foot box side a bit longer using the dims I listed in my last post. That way the shelf would come closer to the end rolled channel that is put in for the gather. With the foot box end close the the rolled channel at one end, mine was about 13" short at the shelf end. It did work out for me this way and I guess one could center the side piece to the hammock body too.

If I was going to make this hammock as a 11' body and want to add the extra 12" to the shelf. I would change these dimensions from 50" to 62" and the 18" to 30" in the self. That would make the dimensions along the foot box side that is sewn to the hammock body as follows. 62" + 19" + 24" + 24" = 129" hemmed length. That gives you 3" left to use in the end roll channels. If that all makes sense. If not PM me and I will mod my drawing real quick and send you a copy of if.

TheXringHunt

Thanks, that makes perfect sense to me now. I'm going to sew it up tomorrow night!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    No problem at all and good luck with the build. I finished up putting in the bug net in mine last night. Now I need to finish up my final suspension set up and I am good. There are a fe accessories that I still want to make but they will com in due time. My biggest hurdle was getting the hammock and tarp done.

TheXringHunt

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXringHunt View Post
    No problem at all and good luck with the build. I finished up putting in the bug net in mine last night. Now I need to finish up my final suspension set up and I am good. There are a fe accessories that I still want to make but they will com in due time. My biggest hurdle was getting the hammock and tarp done.

TheXringHunt
    How did you end up with your bugnet. Did you measure and cut out or set up, pin on and cut?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Well what I did is set the hammock up with a temporary suspension system to mock the final set up because I am waiting for the permanent stuff to be shipped to my house. The temporary rigging I had would allow me to get in the hammock but I was a bit nervous about being in the hammock for long until the permanent stuff gets here. Anyway I even had the sides pulled out to get the overall shape and also set what my ridge line length because that affect some of the overall shape of the bug net. Then I did a bunch of measuring to finally get the flat pattern that I could use to cut out from. I attached a sketch of what it kind of looked like but I wouldn't use this because each hammock setup is different and can affect the shape. After laying out the pattern on the bug net I just took a deep breath and started cutting and I put a cat type cut curve on the edges to help get the bug net tight when I finally set the hammock up for good. The bug net fit on like a glove when I sewed it on and I didn't have much issues with it. But I am not counting on anything yet until I get my suspension installed, hang it, and get in. For now it looks good and I still need to make the few accessories I want for the hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Dude you did a smashing job on the bugnet design. I am really glad it worked out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXringHunt View Post
    The temporary rigging I had would allow me to get in the hammock but I was a bit nervous about being in the hammock for long until the permanent stuff gets here.
    So you have not tested to see if it is comfortable for you. Oh man I hope this isn't your down fall. I like to at least sleep 3 times in the DIY hammocks I have made. That way if the ridge length isn't right or if something isn't working well I can adjust before adding my bugnet. Once a bugnet is cut its cut. My current hammock was all good till I tested it and realized my footbox way way too big. Took it apart and adjusted. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you cause it sounds like you got a great hammock going here. Some pictures would be nice.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex Asyn Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    No I did test the hammock a few times on the right trees before I started the final measurements for doing the bug net for the right form and fit so I can have it right. But when I did test the hammock I still used my temp. suspension (climbing rope) until I could order the 7/64 amsteel blue rope. The temp. Suspension will work but I wasn't going to trust it for any length of time. Then once I was happy with the way it felt I then set up for the final time measured all the suspension stuff, bug nut area, and took good notes on everything to repeat the setup when the amsteel gets here. It was my last hang that was setup a bit rickety because I don't have two trees in my yard that is suitable for hanging so I used my deck railing and a fence post.

TheXringHunt

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast