Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Prusik type knot for amsteel?

Hello, so this is my first post, but I have been lurking for quite a while now. I found out about the whoopie sling's and made myself some out of 7/64 amsteel blue. I have a hennessy and I really liked how the tarp originally attached to the hammock's suspension cord. This was done by a simple prusik knot which had a type of hook that grabbed a ring on the corner of the tarp. All you did was attach the hook to the ring and slide the knot till tight, same on other side. This held really well with the original line (some type of spectra 1200 lb?), but a prusik does not hold at all with amsteel. I tried extra wrapping the prusik, 4 times instead of 2, and it holds better but still slips. Any ideas for knots that will stay tight, or maybe a specific type of rope that is able to hold onto amsteel better?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Try using a Klemheist knot.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    One tip is that the line used for the prussik should be thinner than the line you are tying it to. Zing it may work, but is likely overkill to buy just for that. Many folks use braided mason's line for tarp rigging.. maybe you could find some at your local hardware store. Everyone who has mentioned it said to stay away from the twisted mason's line.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpullen88 View Post
    Hello, so this is my first post, but I have been lurking for quite a while now. I found out about the whoopie sling's and made myself some out of 7/64 amsteel blue. I have a hennessy and I really liked how the tarp originally attached to the hammock's suspension cord. This was done by a simple prusik knot which had a type of hook that grabbed a ring on the corner of the tarp. All you did was attach the hook to the ring and slide the knot till tight, same on other side. This held really well with the original line (some type of spectra 1200 lb?), but a prusik does not hold at all with amsteel. I tried extra wrapping the prusik, 4 times instead of 2, and it holds better but still slips. Any ideas for knots that will stay tight, or maybe a specific type of rope that is able to hold onto amsteel better?

Thanks
    The original line that Hennessy used with the tarp hooks doesn't work well with the smaller and slipperier Amsteel. As others posted, a prusik needs smaller line than the primary rope. I had some leftover bits of Kelty Triptease guy line I used for replacements and that worked well.

• + New Posts