Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Liner

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition A-Sym

Quilt Liner

Hey guys,

I have a weekend trip in eastern NC next weekend for a search and rescue drill. Being brand new to the hammock scene I don't have any insulation yet. What are the thoughts on a quilt liner like this for a summer blanket?

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/QuiltLiner.htm

Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It looks okay. Personally, I get by with just a military surplus poncho liner as top insulation down to about seventy degrees or so (the coldest I've tested it so far; my gut tells me I'd be good down to about sixty as long as the wind isn't blowing) with no issues.

It's worth noting, though, that I am a fairly hot sleeper and tend to be okay on the ground without pad or sleeping blanket down to about seventy normally. Really, the only time I pull the blanket over me is when there's wind; then I tuck it in around me as a windblock more than anything else.

Your mileage may vary.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster_ASU View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a weekend trip in eastern NC next weekend for a search and rescue drill. Being brand new to the hammock scene I don't have any insulation yet. What are the thoughts on a quilt liner like this for a summer blanket?

thats great for a top q, but youll need under q. i suggest a blue pad from walmart. for me i just need 4' to keep the torso of the body warm down to 60.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster_ASU View Post
    Hey guys,

I will be purchasing one soon. ive emailed one of the guys at jacks and he says it would be good to around 50 degrees or so and it only weighs 18oz. to me thats a pretty sweet deal.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    thats great for a top q, but youll need under q. i suggest a blue pad from walmart. for me i just need 4' to keep the torso of the body warm down to 60.
    Yeah, I am looking at under quilts and top quilts and trying to figure out what I want. There isn't much chance of it dropping below 75 at night for this one nighter.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    I will be purchasing one soon. ive emailed one of the guys at jacks and he says it would be good to around 50 degrees or so and it only weighs 18oz. to me thats a pretty sweet deal.
    Awesome, thanks

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    for insulation right now, I'm only using an IX quilt (I made this) under me and a silk sheet over me. This is just about all I need and I'm a cold sleeper. If I'm over heated, I slip the UQ over to the side and just have it hanging next to me. I'm able to reach under and pull it back in place if I get to cool.

My husband uses a poncho liner over and under him. (that's two poncho liners) for these temps.

(day temps around 90 - 95 and night time temps 68-78)

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglyde whoopies
    Images
    I have a 50 mummy bag from Sportsman's Guide I converted into a TQ. have had it for 6 years now. It was $20 and is thinner than the poncho liner UQ i made for my little brother. If you got a fleece throw blanket you should be good. I got an off name snuggie that has been working for me as of late.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I have been using one very similar. Mine was a $10 fleece sleeping bag from dicks that I cut apart and sewed together a foot box and weighs in at 10oz, and I could have shaved an extra 6" of fabirc off the width too.

I have taken it down to 47 degrees with a underquilt, but if I were to not use a under quilt, I get a little chilly below 65 degrees, but thats dependent on the wind. I loooove mine.

Hammock
    Thanks guys.

I don't know how this weekend is going to go with Irene flirting with us. I am just going with a small down blanket and a small fleece blanket. We have a bunch of military supply stores around town and they sell a brand called snugpak. They have a fleece liner that I am thinking about using for my first DIY. Thought about cutting it and sewing (or going for a weekend at my parents house and having mom sewing) a foot box into it for a summer top quilt.

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?Men...-110&ItemID=88