Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    The Texas Humidity
    Suspension
    TreeHuggersnDrings
    Images

Road Trip to Maine

Hey guy, I'm leaving tonight headed up to Maine for a wedding. BUT while we are up there we are going camping at acadia national park. I, being from Texas and all, really dont know what to expect. Of couse ill be hanging there, and ive been told there are plenty of trees. Im super excited about the cooler weather too!!! anyway, if anyone knows anything about the area let me know, even though its short notice. but ill be taking lots of pictures hopefully, so ill definitley post em when i get back! Thanks!!!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Go to the town of Bar Harbor. My ship used to dock there and it is one of the coolest little towns I've been too. Don't forget to hit up Cadillac mountain too. Have fun and take some photos.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I love backpacking in Maine and Acadia is the highlight of the state! Pick up a map at the park entrance. There I a road system throughout the park with lots of parking. Trees are everywhere so pick a trail that strikes your fancy and you won't be disappointed. It's a very user friendly place. The whole park is filled with trailheads.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I live in Maine, we hit Acadia many times a summer. Sand Beach is pretty nice, enjoy the cold ocean water. Bubble Rock is a nice little hike.

Head a little south in Acadia and you'll find Seawall - nice Maine style rocky coast.

A bit out of the way from Bar Harbor / Mount Desert Island (MDI) - it's a little more East, but still a close drive is Schoodic Point. That is a beautiful area, one of our favorite. It's a beautiful drive, there are some cool little places to pull over and explore along the way, and the main attraction is a great spot to hang out for lunch - I can just sit and watch the waves for hours.

Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by sclittlefield; 08-16-2011 at 18:32.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    They are a little picky about where to camp, so check regulations. We were there for hiking, not camping, so we stayed in a bed and breakfast in Bar Harbor. Lobster rolls in Bar Harbor are a must. The Beehive trail is about as scary a hike as I personally would ever take, but the views are awesome. (I'm sure you would be fine, I am a wuss.) My wife and I hiked there for 4 days a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. For an easy access short trail I would recommend Great Head trail. For an out of the way, have it to yourself trail, head to the other half of the island and try the Flying Mountain/Valley Cove loop. Awesome. My last tip would be to try the lobster stew and popovers at Jordan Pond House. It is a great place to sit and eat outside. Have fun.

Photos. 1. Beehive trail, about 1/2 way up.
    2. Flying Mountain
    3. Great Head Trail
    4. Food
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    if you are going near Freeport check out LL Bean. Open 24x7 the last I knew. ;-)

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    This is our first year in the last 6 we haven't spent the summer in Maine. Really missing it, the blackberry's should be just coming in. If you're down around Freeport besides LL Bean check out the DeLorme store. A great resturant is Angler's with 3 locations, all are excellent. Just about any place you go in Maine you will find some beautiful hiking. Personally I try to avoid the more touristy area's but that's just me. During the heart of the season Bar Harbor can be a mad house. For shopping my wife prefers Camden or Rockland. See as much as you can and enjoy the cool weather and beautiful scenery.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    The Texas Humidity
    Suspension
    TreeHuggersnDrings
    Images
    Awesome guys! Thanks for all the tips!!!! Unfourtunatley i will be out there with a bunch of family from the wedding (not the unfourtunate part), but they arent all outdoor friendly people so hiking amazing awesome trails that i would want to hike are kinda out of the question this trip (the unfourtunate part). My girlfriend and i will definitely try and break away a day and take a little day hike, and i think bar harbor is on the agenda with most of the people we are going with. it kinda stinks to be driving so far and not get to do some of the amazing trails ive heard about, but its for the family i suppose. Ive already decided it wont be my last trip there! I definitely want to take a nice 2-3 day hike or even more if i can fit it in at some point! again thanks for all the tips!!! and if you got anything else as far as a day hike goes, and good eats let me know!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Here are a few more pictures to get you excited. If you look very carefully at the first picture, that tiny figure on the rocks down there by the water is my wife. Those rocks are the size of Volkdwagon Beatles!

Actually, Acadia is a great place for people to sight see but don't want to hike big time. The awesomeness of nature can be seen from every road in the park and there are plenty of short walks from the parking areas (don't use the word "hike").
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Hey Taco. I live not too far from Acadia. If you were to continue up Route 1 from before Mount Desert Island (Acadia National Park) you'll come to my small down east town. It is beautiful. You are going to love it. Acadia is great to see the classic downeast Maine. Beautiful coastal towns with their special downeast flavor.

Someone had mentioned the Beehive Trail...is near Sand Beach and Mt. Champlain, if you have wits to ya, and your g/f, I would suggest the Precipice Trail on Mt. Champlain. Its featured in my avatar. Its a bit challenging with some areas you need some wits. But wow is it worth it!

If you are looking for backpacking and less crowds, I would suggest traveling up Route 1 (make a left in Ellsworth before you come up on M.D.I.), or a right as you come off the island. About an hour you will come in to East Machias. You will come to a Salmon Hatchery, gas station, and a Bridge with a sign saying Cutler Naval Station on the right hand side. Take that right and the very next right at the end of the bridge, and about 20 minutes up. You will drive through the picture perfect down east town, Cutler. Afterwards look for signs "Bold Coast" on your right hand side. A perfect over nighter. (And I am pretty sure was the site of Dual Survivors Maine episode) The campsite is about 6 - 8 miles in. I usually take the inland trail first, then be treated with 40 foot cliffs on the way back to the trail head which is another 6 - 8 miles. Best part is this is practically in my back yard . This time of year you can see whales over there too! Last year this time we were out there and me and my backpacking buddy were sipping on Jim Beam...all of a sudden a Minke whale was at the bottom of the cliffs about 10 yards from shore! So close! You will hear coyotes and possibly see a moose and bald eagles too! Lots of wildlife.

I agree too, go see Bah Habbah! Get a lobster roll and enjoy the scenery.

But whatever you end up doing, Cheers and have a great trip! And Congrats to your acquaintances who are getting married! Beautiful place to tie the knot!

P.S. careful what tree you hang on. Balsam Firs are reallll sappy!
    Last edited by Deadphans; 08-17-2011 at 00:35.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast