Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images

Omar the Tarpmaker

I've been a complete slug this summer when it comes to doing anything outside. Haven't been fishing, haven't been camping, haven't spent much time in my hammock and haven't done much geocaching. I haven't even done any yardwork beyond cutting the grass in a month or two and it shows. Its just been too freakin' hot!! 90+ degree weather and I just don't get along and when we do have to meet I'd prefer it to involve saltwater, sand, a beach chair and an umbrella.

So what have I been doing to pass the time you ask. I've been making stuff...inside...in the air conditioning...yeah, I know, I'm a wuss. Lately I've been making tarps. The hammock camping bug has gone through our house like a bad 24-hour virus. It started with me and then Jenna came down with it. Ashley's boyfriend and his brother contracted it next and they gave it to their dad. Most recently it was Ashley's turn. Connie Lou is the only one in the house that hasn't been bitten.

Most everybody has managed to make do with closed-cell foam pads and sleeping bags for insulation so far but tarps have been more of a challenge. Everybody's budget is tight so we've held off on getting lightweight silnylon tarps in favor of me making somewhat heavy, but quite serviceable and very inexpensive tarps from cut-down blue WallyWorld tarps.

The most recent, which I finished last night, was Jenna's. With the exception of my tarp these have all been 8x10 cat-cut rectangular tarps made to be pitched asymmetrically, and they've turned out quite nice, if I do say so myself.

Jenna and I spent this afternoon geocaching, one of her favorite things to do with dear old dad, but she couldn't wait to get home, string up her hammock and tarp and give the tarp a test drive. We set it up between our house and the neighbors and she had barely gotten herself good and comfortable before a rain shower blew in...almost as if on que for a weather test. She stayed high and dry and zonked out for an hour or so until supper was ready.

Check it out...

And I still have a couple of tarps to go. Just call me Omar the Tarpmaker...
    Last edited by Steve D; 08-21-2011 at 22:10.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    And I still have a couple of tarps to go. Just call me Omar the Tarpmaker...
    Great job on the tarps, Omar. Do you have a close up picture on how you did the tie outs/corners of the tarps? Isn't it funny how far and fast the DIY bug spreads?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Nice work. I would interested in how you did your tie outs also. Fixing to make 2 camo tarps like that for my boys. close up's would be great.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Great job on the tarps, Omar. Do you have a close up picture on how you did the tie outs/corners of the tarps? Isn't it funny how far and fast the DIY bug spreads?
    Not for this particular tarp but there are a couple on this thread about my cat-cut hex. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=tarp
    Last edited by Steve D; 08-21-2011 at 22:10.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Nicely done! I like your cat cut hex as well. Great job.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts